NCLH Stock falls on analyst downgrade according Bloomberg and the AP

cmdchiefthom

NCLH is up .60c a share right now to $54.76 on low volume. It is rated at a "buy". The 52 Week Range has it going from $38.66 to $61.48. Target price is: $64.56 according to 18 financial analysts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NCLH?p=NCLH

Thank you for providing accurate information. Didn't see any news regarding downgrade.

Probably why they raised the gratuities to 20% yesterday on the UBP and SDP's.:confused: Gotta get more money somehow!

When you go out to eat in a US restaurant the standard gratuity is 20%. Waitstaff and bartenders make very little salary on land and even less at sea. Tips is what makes their job worth working at. I seriously doubt gratuities were raised to help the cruise lines bottom dollar.

When you go out to eat in a US restaurant the standard gratuity is 20%. Waitstaff and bartenders make very little salary on land and even less at sea. Tips is what makes their job worth working at. I seriously doubt gratuities were raised to help the cruise lines bottom dollar.

There is no standard gratuity at the restaurants I frequent unless it's a large party and the tip is automatically added on. Otherwise, the gratuity is up to each person to deem what they think is appropriate.

The US should just pay staff a proper wage instead of this demand for 20% tip on everything, they need to get in the first world rather than pay slave wages

That would takeaway from certain people being able to brag about how much they overtip.

One analyst downgraded, likely his buddies decided to short the stock and they wanted to give them some help. Unfortunately these shenanigans happen all the time and the little guy gets short changed a little here and there.

Sent from my Z956 using Forums mobile app

Guessing that backfired. The stock is up 1.18% today.

You have to wonder what Del Rio is up to now with the shares down to $54.16 this morning. I am so glad I dumped my shares last year!;p

and I have about double my investment. As for NCL, I wonder if you really pay any attention to what is going on or are you just here to blast someone or something? Wednesday all 3 major lines took a loss, NCL's was only a few cents. Yesterday all 3 again took a loss, NCL's was the most. Have you seen what has happened to NCL stock this year or RCI's for that matter. And yes, Carnival, but their's has been the lest productive. All 3 are doing well. And yes, NCL is up today.

Short of catastrophic events beyond company control, focusing on day to day fluctuations isn't a blip on the radar for disciplined, long term investors. 15 months ago Mr. Del Rio purchased approximately 85,000 shares of the company at approximately $36 a share. I doubt he is worried over normal daily fluctuations in stock value and they serve as no real indicator of company plans. Managing by the quarter to keep investors happy is often far more detrimental to a company than sticking to a 3 to 5 year, or longer, plan. Some new policies have been enacted that either extract more money from consumers, or extract it sooner in the timeline, or both. If you think its a benevolent act for crew, lol, no.

But the market is going one way right now , and bookings are strong, prices remain relatively high and stable until very last minute, so make hay while the sun shines.

Most of the time the checks I see now in California will have three tip calculations at the bottom for you to refer to, 15%, 18% and 20%. Our tipping practice here is higher than in many places in the country, yet our servers all earn the California minimum wage at least (tips cannot be used to make up the minimum in California, so all restaurant workers must be paid the $10.50 per hour minimum.) And I usually tip 20% on top of that.

There are really two things at play here. One is the increase in price from $79 per day to $89 per day just announced recently, about an 11% increase for those that pay for the beverage plan. On top of that, an increase from 18% to 20% is another 9% in the cost of the required gratuity which everyone pays.

I expect them to raise the daily service charge amount to $15.50 so suites and non-suites pay the same. That seems to be their game, and it seems to not harm them, so they will continue to do it.

The US should just pay staff a proper wage instead of this demand for 20% tip on everything, they need to get in the first world rather than pay slave wages

Slaves are not paid wages.

Not sure where you are from, but here in California we pay all of our workers more than the UK minimum wage, including tipped employees. Google tells me the UK minimum wage is about 6.50 pounds, or $8.76. Our minimum wage is $10.50, or about 7.79 pounds at today's rate. The UK also has a "living wage" that is about equal to $12.30 US.

For the UK though all of this is academic since NCL has gone to the all-inclusive rate, so this complex calculation is no longer required. I think NCL is moving that direction but wants to get the rates as high as possible to champion how much money we'll save when they add 25% to the cost of the cruise for it to be "all inclusive".

We are talking the price of stock here, not the price of tips and just to clarify something: the salaries cruise lines pay, regardless of tips has nothing to do with America. The ships with the exception on one NCL ship are not registered in the USA.

If you want to talk tips, I know from family members who have worked in the restaurant business, most wait people would rather have the policy we have here, than higher salaries. It is a benefit to them when it comes to taxes. Unlike ships, the land based restaurants do not set a required tip policy unless it is a large group. Tipping is still voluntary as it should be.

It is a benefit to them when it comes to taxes.

Unlike some countries, all tip income is taxable in the US. While many people cheat on their taxes and don't declare income, servers find it harder and harder to do so because of credit cards. The restaurant is supposed to keep records and require the servers to declare their tips because the restaurant has "matching taxes" to pay on them (payroll taxes and federal unemployment compensation, etc.)

What's the tax consequence of a dollar in tip income compared to a dollar in wage income? Assuming that the person honestly reports the income.

Same for the employee, and in one sense at least, it harms the employer because they pay ~7.5% in payroll taxes on the tips, but don't have the wages as an expense to help offset income.

The cruise lines are paying the crew the contracted minimum salary that is in compliance with ILO standards. If they don't get enough from the DSC, they must make up the shortage.

NCL doesn't require crew to turn in the cash tips they receive, and they did not require a form for reducing the DSC as they have done recently.

I hope this information will dispel the rampant misinformation on these boards.

One reason the crew members like tipping rather than salary increases is some countries do not tax tips like the USA does.

If you calculate the amount of the DSC, it will exceed the ILO minimum salary guidelines if all guests pay it.

NCL does not divulge how,the DSC is distributed, so we don't know if the crew salaries are paid from the DSC or from other sources.

Edited by swedish weave