Wine package.

lizjohn

We have purchased the 7 bottle wine package for our trip to Hawaii on April 12 2018. Could someone give me some info on how it works. Do we get to choose what bottles that we want? Maybe 7 of the same kind for example. Do we get to keep the wine in the wine cellar until we ask for a bottle with dinner?

So excited. Have never been to Hawaii before and never cruised for this long. 17 days, did I say I was excited.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can select the wine you want each night at dinner time when you sit down in the MDR from the selections available. There is no need to select all at once.

The wine steward will offer suggestions and bring you the bottle you select. If you do not finish the bottle, it can be kept by them for the next night or you can bring the remainder to a bar or back to your cabin, your choice.

And it could be worth asking if there are any other wines, not on the printed list, available for your package - on our last cruise, at the Navigator wine tasting, the sommelier brought out a wine that was not on the list for us to taste, and that night at dinner we asked for it. The wine steward was not aware of it being on the list, but checked, and it was.:)

We like the whites in the Navigator package, and there are some nice reds in the Admiral's package - we usually get one of each if it's a long cruise.:D

And it could be worth asking if there are any other wines, not on the printed list, available for your package - on our last cruise, at the Navigator wine tasting, the sommelier brought out a wine that was not on the list for us to taste, and that night at dinner we asked for it. The wine steward was not aware of it being on the list, but checked, and it was.:)

We like the whites in the Navigator package, and there are some nice reds in the Admiral's package - we usually get one of each if it's a long cruise.:D

Hi. Could you tell me how you got to taste the wines in the navigator package. We are not familiar with any of them and really would hate to order a bottle and not like it. Would be great to taste them before making a decision.

Thank you to all that reply to my inexperienced questions.

Hi. Could you tell me how you got to taste the wines in the navigator package. We are not familiar with any of them and really would hate to order a bottle and not like it. Would be great to taste them before making a decision.

Thank you to all that reply to my inexperienced questions.

There are wine tastings offered on board (at a cost).

The Naviagor package wine tasting is $15 IIRC but, you only sample 4 of them usually. Still gives you a good idea. The announcement is always in the When and Where (daily programme) and often there may even be flyers.

When you order a bottle, your wine steward will pour you a bit to taste. If it isn't to your liking just say so.

Also, it helps if you say what you prefer (dry, semi-sweet, etc.). Many of the wine stewards can be very helpful.

There is usually a set up in Lido on embarkation day with the wines on display. You can take a peak and ask questions there too.

Suppose I brought my own bottles and paid the $18 corkage fee. Could I take my own wine back and forth to the dining room they way I could with a wine package wine? Are my personal bottles treated the same as the wine package bottles once I pay the fee?

Suppose I brought my own bottles and paid the $18 corkage fee. Could I take my own wine back and forth to the dining room they way I could with a wine package wine? Are my personal bottles treated the same as the wine package bottles once I pay the fee?

Yes & Yes ... and there is no need for you to bring it back and forth to the MDR. They will store any unfinished bottle for you until another night.

Warning!!

I would wait until you got on the ship and find out what wines will be offered in the Navigator package. We pre-ordered it one time many years ago and when we got to the dining room, our wine steward informed us that some of the wines on the list were not available. And he had only a couple of substitutions. Thankfully what we liked was available.

We never pre-ordered a package after that.

The wines in the Admirals package was much better.

Is it a good idea to wait to place your order in the MDR first night with the wine steward instead of say ordering from the lido display or other bar areas on embarkation day I believe the person taking the order gets a commission, and we want to support the person who will be assigned to us.

Is it a good idea to wait to place your order in the MDR first night with the wine steward instead of say ordering from the lido display or other bar areas on embarkation day I believe the person taking the order gets a commission, and we want to support the person who will be assigned to us.

Bolding is mine. I don't believe this is correct.

and, while we normally order our wine in the MDR too, my understanding is that the wine stewards share in the service fees charged. (pooled).

After all your bottles of wine may be poured by different stewards ;)

any cash tips you choose to give them are theirs to keep. :)

If you don't have a package what is the average cost of a bottle of wine...say a middle of the road brand and cost? LuAnn

Last time I was on, there was a decent one for around $30 but many bottles are much more ;)

To use up the rest of my beverage card last month, I selected a Merlot to take home. It was $48. Got home and showed hubby. He said it sells for $7.50 at Total Wine!!!

OUCH!!...since we are sailing from home R/T I think I'll just buy some good wine and take it on board and pay the corkage!! LuAnn