Uber at Ft Lauderdale port...better than Taxi?

Gatormomma

This is discussed on the Florida Departures board regularly. You might have to wait a couple of minutes for the taxi line to move along, but not usually much. Uber/Lyft you might have to wait a bit longer if they aren't in the immediate area. For the small difference in fares, waiting for Uber/Lyft isn't that that big a savings to wait, but that might just be me.

We always exit the ship, walk across the street to the line of taxi’s waiting. Never had an issue disembarking in FLL. Just did it one week ago. Got off the Regal at 9am and at the airport by 9:40am. Taxi cost was $15.00+the tip.

Uber is about half the cost of a taxi, but neither are expensive if you are just going from the cruise port to the airport. Both are easy enough .. just choose whichever is easier for you at the time.

Of note, we just disembarked in Miami and had a hotel booked between Port Everglades and Las Olas Blvd. Uber was definitely the way to go with that ride. We waited less than a minute for our ride and it only came to a little over $30 + tip. The guy at the hotel noted that a cab is at least $100. But, if you're only going a short way, a cab (or uber) is just fine.

I guess it depends exactly from where and to where you are referring to in FLL, but the $100 statement seems extreme.

Maybe so ... we don't like anywhere near there so not sure. We had no reason to disbelieve him and it was a rather long drive ... but it does sound like a lot to me, too.

I guess it depends exactly from where and to where you are referring to in FLL, but the $100 statement seems extreme.
Taxi fare calculator says $81.25 from MIA to Port Everglades. I can see someone rounding this up to $100. I remember the shock of how much the cab fare was when we stayed at a hotel in Plantation when we could not find a good price at one closer to the port. We still saved money overall, but had I known, we would have rented a car instead for half the price.

Taxi fare calculator says $81.25 from MIA to Port Everglades. I can see someone rounding this up to $100. I remember the shock of how much the cab fare was when we stayed at a hotel in Plantation when we could not find a good price at one closer to the port. We still saved money overall, but had I known, we would have rented a car instead for half the price.

Ah yes.... and we were past Port Everglades at a hotel on Fort Lauderdale Beach ... so I would guess his statement was pretty much accurate by the time you added a tip. It did sound like a lot to me, too, though but not too shocked about high prices living in the SF bay area. EVERYTHING is pricey here. Don't even get me started ...LOL! ;)

We took Uber to the port from a local hotel on 17th. Was $6 for an Uber XL. My 20-something daughter punched it into her phone and few minutes later the car was there. 2 other couples waiting for a taxi had been there about 20 minutes when the Uber showed up for us.

Taxi from the port to the airport is faster than waiting for an Uber to arrive. There has always been a whole line of taxis just past where the embarkation bins for luggage are. Well organized, driver tosses in your luggage and away you go.

Taxi from the port to the airport is faster than waiting for an Uber to arrive. There has always been a whole line of taxis just past where the embarkation bins for luggage are. Well organized, driver tosses in your luggage and away you go.

At least an Uber/Lyft is a flat fee. Every time we get a taxi at the airport, they manage to go the long or wrong way and add $5 to the trip. Last time we literally sat in line to get out while the meter counted up another $5. We insisted we wanted to just get out where we were (we were already at the terminal), but he held our luggage hostage until we got to the front of the line.

At least an Uber/Lyft is a flat fee. Every time we get a taxi at the airport, they manage to go the long or wrong way and add $5 to the trip. Last time we literally sat in line to get out while the meter counted up another $5.

There is definitely some truth to that. The port was a mess and it took almost 30 minutes to get through the line of cars entering to where you could get out and into the terminal. The fact we had an Uber saved us that $5 or more sitting and waiting. Driver said never again to the port. Thought he burned up more gas waiting than what the fare was.

Not really. Had a car service not show up at Port of Miami. No Uber at the time so had to cab it to Plantation (suburb of FTL). Was actually a bit over $100. Cab stand is convenient at both ports. Porter will get you a cab so no hassle. No specific meeting place for Uber (Port Everglades). Only used Uber once. Very crowded & driver did not see me & had to go around twice. Got definite impression driver not happy. I only saved $8 over cost of cab to Plantation from Port Everglades. Still close to $50 (is about 15+mi.) I think they would rather just do short hops to AP. I travel solo a lot & more interested in convenience & no hassles than the money. In that respect, cab wins.

• 3 weeks later...
At least an Uber/Lyft is a flat fee. Every time we get a taxi at the airport, they manage to go the long or wrong way and add $5 to the trip.

Recently had a great first time experience using Uber, FLL to Port and vice versa.

Friendly drivers and nice vehicles.

First trip, after requesting an UberXL, a Prius showed up.

We had 2 large suitcases and were skeptical whether they would fit. Surprisingly, there was room to spare.

Second trip was in a nice Toyota Highlander.

With Uber, you know your price in advance and don't get taken for a "ride" with a taxi.

I don't know about the US but here in NZ Uber is getting slated for increasing prices to use them in peak times. Quotes seem to mean nothing!!!

Also there is a law in the process of being enacted that forces Uber drivers to have a taxi endorsement on their licence.

usually have to wait a while for Taxi after cruise. Is Uber easier?

For us from the port a taxi is normally a little quicker than Uber but around $2 more. We have never had to wait for a taxi. Taxi fare is usually around $13 to 15. You can't lose with either except if you use a Princess transfer.

Edited by Todd320

Same here in UK. Most of Uber do not know the way to go, numerous accidents and surge prices. In fact, here in London, they were surging 3/4 times the usual fare during our three terrorist attacks this year. Meanwhile the London black cabs were giving free rides o terrified residents to get them clear of danger. Uber were slated here by the media for this.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Forums mobile app