Cape Town to Cape Town...currently on board Nautica

twofortennis

I believe that there is a difference between refunding missed excursions that are O Life and those that are paid for. The former will be credited at $100/pp as a non-refundable OBC and the latter will be refunded in full to the CC used.

That is what I think.

Hi all, we live in Cape Town and are on the upcoming Nautica cruise next week. We have had our Madagascan stop cancelled and I've heard no complaints as we are super aware of the Bubonic and Pneumonic plague on the island. On our last cruise on the Riviera this July we were unable to go ashore by tender to Sorrento due to rough seas.

Insofar as this being the time to cruise around South Africa - yes, it is as it is our summer. However, this is not known as 'The Cape of Storms' for nothing and the coast is littered with ship wrecks from days gone by. Last year an MSC liner had to anchor in Port Elizabeth for a couple of days due to some storm damage and very rough seas between there and Cape Town. We boarded that same ship 2 weeks later and were unable to leave the harbour until about 8 hours after the stated sail away time. Again, seas too rough. But hey, we have glorious sunshine! :cool:

With regard to Maputo and the slow moving, inefficient Customs officers. Give a person a uniform and sometimes it all becomes a heady experience being able to order around a ship load of rich folk! I should imagine this was the case that TwoForTennis etc., experienced. Possibly, had a monetary bribe been offered it would have all gone off very smoothly. But O would be crazy to go down that slippery path.

This is Africa and, hopefully, when you sign up to experience it you are not wanting life to be the same as back home! Theft and corruption are endemic in many places and some of the abject poverty and bad Governance can lead to desperate measures. So be aware and don't get too chummy and act the obvious tourist.

P.s. There is no such place as New London. I think the poster meant East London. ;)

My Sister and I are also on the current Nautica Capetown to Capetown cruise, but we have a different perspective than th OP. Yes, we missed Mossel Bay due to high seas and it being a tender port. Totally understandable.

We were delayed into Richards Bay due to the high seas and headwinds, but made it.

We started an overland trip to Phinda so missed the Maputo Fiasco. But I spoke with others and heard about the total incompetence of the local officials that caused it.

We rejoined in Durban. I too was disappointed when the Captain announced we would miss Port Elizabeth and ride out the storm in the sheltered port of East London. BUT, the Captain and CD recorded a complete explanation that is playing on the TVs that not only shows the weather and seas maps, including projected 60ft seas but also explains that is we tried for Port Elizabeth and could not make it in, the entire ship would have to be offloaded in Walvis Bay and fly home from there! This would be because we would not have gotten our exit stamps for SA under those circumstances. By entire ship, they mean passengers and crew would not be allowed back in SA.

I understand the frustrations expressed. I would have loved to get to Addo! But I also understand most of this is not under O’s control and I would rather err on the side of safety.

Charlotte

My Sister and I are also on the current Nautica Capetown to Capetown cruise, but we have a different perspective than th OP. Yes, we missed Mossel Bay due to high seas and it being a tender port. Totally understandable.

We were delayed into Richards Bay due to the high seas and headwinds, but made it.

We started an overland trip to Phinda so missed the Maputo Fiasco. But I spoke with others and heard about the total incompetence of the local officials that caused it.

We rejoined in Durban. I too was disappointed when the Captain announced we would miss Port Elizabeth and ride out the storm in the sheltered port of East London. BUT, the Captain and CD recorded a complete explanation that is playing on the TVs that not only shows the weather and seas maps, including projected 60ft seas but also explains that is we tried for Port Elizabeth and could not make it in, the entire ship would have to be offloaded in Walvis Bay and fly home from there! This would be because we would not have gotten our exit stamps for SA under those circumstances. By entire ship, they mean passengers and crew would not be allowed back in SA.

I understand the frustrations expressed. I would have loved to get to Addo! But I also understand most of this is not under O’s control and I would rather err on the side of safety.

Charlotte

Great attitude. Enjoy the rest of your cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

H,

I don’t believe that this is entirely true.

You and I have sailed on a Marina cruise that did not miss any ports, IIRC :)

Refresh my memory - did we miss a port on that cruise?

Actually, that one had an aborted port rather than a cancelled port. If you recall we left Bermuda a full day early because of a supposed storm only to have the clearest skies and calmest waters I have ever seen.

The captain is not clairvoyant. Weather can change rapidly. I was a pilot with my own plane. I often decided last minute to drive rather than fly due to weather predictions only to find out bad weather never materialized.

This is not some sinister plot by Oceania to have us miss ports

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The posters complaining the loudest about a missed port would be the first to blame Oceania for sailing into a storm.

Appreciate the added details/specifics from Charlotte. Very helpful and important additional perspectives. Agree with the above that people will be unhappy in either case. Going into a stormy port is bad. Missing a port is not desired.

We have done just ten cruises with five different cruise lines. Fortunately, we have only missed one port due to weather issues. That was in March 2017 with Princess on a Panama Canal cruise. High winds knocked us out of being able to do San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua. Did not like that miss, but it can happen.

Also agree with bitob as to: "The captain is not clairvoyant. Weather can change rapidly. I was a pilot with my own plane. I often decided last minute to drive rather than fly due to weather predictions only to find out bad weather never materialized."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 228,476 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Actually, that one had an aborted port rather than a cancelled port. If you recall we left Bermuda a full day early because of a supposed storm only to have the clearest skies and calmest waters I have ever seen.

But did we not stop in the Azores instead of 2nd day in Bermuda, IIRC - a win/win for me. One day in Bermuda was sufficient for me.

The clear skies were ahead of us not behind us where the storm was (presumably):)

Usually the first and last cruises are in shoulder season and not as optimal as core season on many itineraries.

We booked a November Venice to Rome cruise which we understand is past season and will most likely not have the best weather. We check the weather statistics and some warned that it will be very rainy. At least we booked with the understanding it may not be as nice. Ironically, this cruise will be on the Nautica.

Usually shoulder season cruises are priced lower to compensate for the diminished booking interest.

I wonder if this is the case for the OP?

Isn't November the month of heavy rains and sometimes terrible flooding in Venice?

Chucktown: we were in Venice last month for 3 days of rain, a bit of flooding, but incredible wind. There were so many ruined umbrellas in the garbage cans, and tossed wherever, in Piazzale Roma, that I took photos.

I suggest a REALLY GOOD umbrella...I have a Blunt umbrella (developed in NZ, where it is VERY windy) but it was sitting in my closet at home. Fellow travellers got home and ordered Gustbuster umbrellas.

Chucktown: we were in Venice last month for 3 days of rain, a bit of flooding, but incredible wind. There were so many ruined umbrellas in the garbage cans, and tossed wherever, in Piazzale Roma, that I took photos.

I suggest a REALLY GOOD umbrella...I have a Blunt umbrella (developed in NZ, where it is VERY windy) but it was sitting in my closet at home. Fellow travellers got home and ordered Gustbuster umbrellas.

Thankx for the tip. Can you post the pics? :D

twofortennis, While I sympathize with you I don't understand what you expected O to do in the face of bad weather. We took the exact same cruise in 2015 and absolutely loved it. The food was delicious, the service outstanding and we made all our ports. But! We did not get off the ship in Maputo as it was rumored to be unsafe--turned out it was as two separate couples were threatened.

As the poster from SA said it is the Cape of Storms. We had a similar experience on SS during a Valpairaso-Buenas Aires trip. The weather was so bad that we went from Puerto Arenas directly to the Straits of Magellan missing Ushuia and Cape Horn completely. Why complain, however, when it is safety that determines decisions.

If you settle down from your frustration and evaluate what O delivered I don't think you will be as upset.

FWIW... sailed into Picton, NZ port ATW16 and it was a drop dead gorgeous day, calm seas, and not a hint of a cloud.

Our Captain announced on the PA that we would NOT be going ashore that day and were quickly sailing on to the next port.

Passengers ranted because they weren't getting ashore on such a beautiful day and one passenger was overheard threatening to call his lawyer and talk of mutiny...you get the picture....

My fave comments were 'the Captain obviously doesn't know what he's doing' and 'must be a way for O to avoid port charges.'

Of course, there was silence from those passengers the next morning when news came of the high and dangerous seas that resulted from a weather front that had appeared....we might have been able to go ashore, but we sure weren't leaving and it could have been dangerous for the ship tied up.

One thing learned from being 6 months at sea is passengers HAVE to learn to roll with whatever comes...you are at sea and there are no guarantees...no matter how much money you have invested in the experience. Be grateful for what you do get to see.

It is hard to admit but sometimes passengers don't have the experience that the Captain has. ;)

But did we not stop in the Azores instead of 2nd day in Bermuda, IIRC - a win/win for me. One day in Bermuda was sufficient for me.

The clear skies were ahead of us not behind us where the storm was (presumably):)

I'm glad you enjoyed the Azores. I thought the port was stupendously boring. Not to mention all the plans people had in Bermuda that had to be cancelled. I wouldn't even bring this up but on every other O cruise I've been there have been port eliminations and cancellations as well. I just wonder why these things don't happen as often another lines, that's all.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Azores. I thought the port was stupendously boring. Not to mention all the plans people had in Bermuda that had to be cancelled. I wouldn't even bring this up but on every other O cruise I've been there have been port eliminations and cancellations as well. I just wonder why these things don't happen as often another lines, that's all.

To paraphrase the Gershwin bothers - You say Bermuda, I say the Azores - let's call the whole thing off :D

Charlotte

Glad you are enjoying your trip and understand that cruising is never perfect..You have a great attitude

Jancruz1

Glad you are enjoying your trip and understand that cruising is never perfect..You have a great attitude

Jancruz1

Agree. And that attitude and understanding is why they can have a great time and not sour their vacation.

boerneDQ including the Captains and CD explanation of why they handled it the way they did is very informative for us armchair captains. Forget the weather reports of estimated 60' waves (but it was sunny out), there are other technical considerations that most of us would not know:

"but also explains that is we tried for Port Elizabeth and could not make it in, the entire ship would have to be offloaded in Walvis Bay and fly home from there! This would be because we would not have gotten our exit stamps for SA under those circumstances. By entire ship, they mean passengers and crew would not be allowed back in SA."

Really a great post