Puerto Rico cruise documentation nightmare

Netopr

I am not familiar with notarizing documents, i might just have a lawyer from my family send a letter to RCI. I am just waiting for him to get back from the cruise so we can discuss more details. I am just afraid that if i dont do that, RCI will never give me a response back.

Not weighing in on this whole situation, but I did want to clarify that all a notary does is attest that they saw the person sign whatever document has been signed. The notary seal just indicates that the signature is genuine.

And I am sorry that you missed cruising with your family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean like YouTube, Facebook, etc? Do those companies hang around here?
Cruise lines have dedicated group pages that are monitored by company representatives. They would also monitor cruise critic forums for their respective cruise line. FB is just so much more popular so has a louder voice. While your issue may get more notice, that doesn't necessarily mean you will get what you want, although at the very least it will alert others to the PR birth certificate issues.

Cruise lines have dedicated group pages that are monitored by company representatives. They would also monitor cruise critic forums for their respective cruise line. FB is just so much more popular so has a louder voice. While your issue may get more notice, that doesn't necessarily mean you will get what you want, although at the very least it will alert others to the PR birth certificate issues.

:) Plus one

Would my experience be enough to be a court case even though RCI mentions on their website that the customer is responsible for travel documents? I really don't understand why they provide travel documentation guidance but yet say that on their policy. Looks they just want to clean their hands if something happens. Do they want customers to follow what they say or what the us customs says???

You would be wasting your time and money.

When you do your online check in and select passport as your identification, you must put in your document number and issue/expiration dates. That would be a clue.

What are you talking about? What clue? My issue is BC related not passport related. For the check in, for my wife i only selected birth certificate and issuing state (Puerto Rico).

Edited by Netopr

You would be wasting your time and money.

You think so? According to their website and policy my wide did meet their travel documentation requirements and yet they denied her boarding.

United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5#usport

When you do your online check in and select passport as your identification, you must put in your document number and issue/expiration dates. That would be a clue.

Not exactly sure what you're responding to. OP knew wife's passport had expired. He was going by the cruise line's information that a birth certificate/driver's license would be acceptable as ID for this cruise.

He wasn't aware that Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 2010 were no longer valid and anyone holding one had to get a new birth certificate at that time.

When he showed up at the port, wife was denied boarding because her birth certificate was not valid for ID purposes.

OP is saying that his cruise line did not tell him that Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to Jul 2010 were invalid for ID purposes. And, even though the website did say it's up to the traveler to confirm what documentation is necessary, the only place he went for that information was the cruise line, not an official entity (like CBP or Passport office). So Royal Caribbean should give him all his money back.

You think so? According to their website and policy my wide did meet their travel documentation requirements and yet they denied her boarding.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=4&snav=5#usport

As pointed out, Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line) is not the final decider in these things. It's the government. Royal Caribbean can only provide guidance. That's why they tell you it's on you to find out (from the proper official sources) what's required.

From your link:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. These appropriate, valid travel documents - passports, visas, family legal documents and inoculation certificates - are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

As pointed out, Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line) is not the final decider in these things. It's the government. Royal Caribbean can only provide guidance. That's why they tell you it's on you to find out (from the proper official sources) what's required.

From your link:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents. The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

Royal Caribbean International strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the cruise.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary. These appropriate, valid travel documents - passports, visas, family legal documents and inoculation certificates - are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

They are subject to change without notice.

And where do we go to verify the latest requirements? In the RCI website? Or where?

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary.

We did identify and obtained required travel documents based off the RCI guidance. CBP doesnt even mention this issue with PR BC.

They are subject to change without notice.

And where do we go to verify the latest requirements? In the RCI website? Or where?

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents for the entire cruise vacation and have them available when necessary.

We did identify and obtained required travel documents based off the RCI guidance. CBP doesnt even mention this issue with PR BC.

I suppose, had you attempted to get your wife's passport renewed, that you would have found out at that time.

I think that the issue here is that when you discovered your wife’s passport was expired, you contacted RC to ensure that her BC would be sufficient rather than you having to go and get a new expedited passport, and they said yes. Now of course you are responsible for making sure you have the correct documents, but if you called RC and their agent said you had the correct documents, then why would you have any reason to not believe them?

Anyone can sue for anything if they wish, of course, that does not mean they will prefail. Draft your complaint, bring or mail it to the court enclosingg he required entry fee, get a docket number and you will have sued the defendant f . nnow make service of the suit.

Please know you could be wasting time, energy and money,.

I think that the issue here is that when you discovered your wife’s passport was expired, you contacted RC to ensure that her BC would be sufficient rather than you having to go and get a new expedited passport, and they said yes. Now of course you are responsible for making sure you have the correct documents, but if you called RC and their agent said you had the correct documents, then why would you have any reason to not believe them?

:) Prove it :)

I am sorry for the mess you have found yourself in. Unfortunately, I think if you read thru all the RCI stuff that you "agreed" to online, it will tell you that you are responsible for presenting the proper documents. So it is your fault..

Do you have insurance Does it cover cancellation for any reason? If so, you should be able to get a full refund, but most may be a credit toward a future cruise.

Can you get proper document tomorrow and fly to catch up with the ship? Be sure RCI will let you board before you start paying for flights.

Good luck.

Cancel for any reason insurance will not apply in this case. This was not a cancellation by the traveler, this was failure of the traveler to have the required documents. You can't insure that type of event. It has to be something beyond your control, and failing to have proper documentation is within your control.

I just read your post and haven’t anyone else’s yet, so not sure anyone has said this, but although I feel terrible for you, why on earth did you wait so long to do check in and make sure your documentation was in order?? I am such a huge planner,I do my check in when I book, which is usually one year in advance. When you check in, it asks for your document info, passport info, etc. If done in a timely matter this could have been resolved.

Well, you are (or she is) at fault. It's up to the traveler (you) to find out and confirm what documents are necessary.

I doubt that they look at "I didn't know" as an emergency situation that would require an office to be open on a normally closed day.

It's not on the cruise line to have/supply the proper requirements, as they have no way of keeping track of every government in the world's requirements.

I️ know, right? I’m totally baffled why someone would not make sure their documentation was in order long before that! And then to blame the cruise line???? Sorry, buddy, but it’s nobody’s fault but your own! Cruise line doesn’t owe you anything! Get some passports.

I️ know, right? I’m totally baffled why someone would not make sure their documentation was in order long before that! And then to blame the cruise line???? Sorry, buddy, but it’s nobody’s fault but your own! Cruise line doesn’t owe you anything! Get some passports.

Sounds like you didnt read this thread at all and you need to do that before judging people. According to RC website i did have valid documentation. My wife had a valid id and a original government issued birth certificate and there was no mention of this 2010 issue with PR birth certificates either in the RCI website or CBP.

I just read your post and haven’t anyone else’s yet, so not sure anyone has said this, but although I feel terrible for you, why on earth did you wait so long to do check in and make sure your documentation was in order?? I am such a huge planner,I do my check in when I book, which is usually one year in advance. When you check in, it asks for your document info, passport info, etc. If done in a timely matter this could have been resolved.

Check in one year advance? I am not sure what cruises are you doing this...

OP, Have you or your DH sent application for new B/C and /or sent in the passport to be renewed? I'm curious how long each will take.

Nop, i requested her BC over the PR government website but it will arrive to our home in MD. We might also swing by the government office to get another official copy here just in case right? Maybe we cant leave the island without that on January 1st.. We are still spending time with family now that they are back but in about a week, we will request passports for her, me (expires in June 2018 and my 1 year old son)