Anyone thinking of canceling IOTS Jan 8 out of FLL?

shuwei

Oh! What are they doing that you aren't getting well fed?

:eek:

We are on Indy now, with two more booked.

We will not cancel.

However, I am going to take a break from Royal.

With all the ‘food safety’ restrictions in place now....

I can’t wait to get off this ship in Costa Maya tomorrow.

I am hungry! haha...never thought I’d be hungry on

a cruise ship....

I feel your pain. For some of us the stomach bug is a BIG deal. I despise it and will normally avoid it like the plague! I don't consider your question to be stupid at all. Who wants to be sick like that holed up on a boat in a tiny cabin? But it is true that you'd lose so much money that you are probably better off taking the gamble. Just wash your hands a lot!! keep your hands away from your mouth. My understanding is all these cruises are subject to the stomach bug due to the close quarters and the number of people.

You're more likely to catch it while not on a cruise. People get sick when not on vacation and other than missing work or other events, they don't think anything of it. Lots of us have taken many cruises (24 for us) and never gotten noro. Ships are not more subject to it (hospitals, schools and nursing homes are) but you hear about it when people's vacations are impacted. Ships report when outbreaks hit 3%. Just think, how many people that you work with are out on a given day due to illness. 3% is probably low this time of year. The flu is going around at my DH's workplace right now, even though most people were vaccinated. It's the time of year. It would be worse to get the flu on a cruise than noro. Flu lasts a week or so, noro affects most people for 48 hours or so.

BTW, we never wipe anything down and the worst we've had over 12 years and 24 cruises is a couple of minor colds. We do wash our hands, but that's about it.

You're more likely to catch it while not on a cruise. People get sick when not on vacation and other than missing work or other events, they don't think anything of it. Lots of us have taken many cruises (24 for us) and never gotten noro. Ships are not more subject to it (hospitals, schools and nursing homes are) but you hear about it when people's vacations are impacted. Ships report when outbreaks hit 3%. Just think, how many people that you work with are out on a given day due to illness. 3% is probably low this time of year. The flu is going around at my DH's workplace right now, even though most people were vaccinated. It's the time of year. It would be worse to get the flu on a cruise than noro. Flu lasts a week or so, noro affects most people for 48 hours or so.

BTW, we never wipe anything down and the worst we've had over 12 years and 24 cruises is a couple of minor colds. We do wash our hands, but that's about it.

On top of that, on a boat, it is easy to know where everybody got infected, as they were probably all on a ship unless it is day one. People get stomach viruses (including noro) allot, but never know where they got it for sure in many cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Wow, I'd like to thank all of you who posted snarky responses to my honest question. Thanks for making me feel welcome here.

Glad most of you who responded AREN'T going on this cruise. Geezzz....

I know, I hardly post for that reason, either. Good grief, it's a vacation forum. If I want to be bullied I'll go to the real world.

I would definitely still go on the cruise; we had a sick ship before our Celebrity Cruise last year and didn't find out until the day before when boarding was delayed. I feel like the plane ride to the ship is the most risky part regarding getting sick, anyway. This is no expert opinion, of course. Have a great trip!

I didn't read this entire thread and all its responses, but here's my list for staying healthy on a cruise:

First & foremost: Wash, wash, wash! Hot soapy water is your friend.

Do not touch your eyes, nose, mouth. The mucus membranes are what transmits the bug.

Do not touch the elevator buttons with your fingers. Use your knuckle or elbow.

Do not hold on to railings. I lean my arm for balance, as I have balance issues.

Do not shake hands, kiss, or even air-kiss anyone. Okay, spouse or kids nothwithstanding. Keep some space.

Stay out of the buffet restaurant. Even if the staff is doing the serving.

Use sanitizer a lot. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol-based hand sanitizer DOES NOT kill noro virus, only bleach can do that, but at least you're doing something.

I wipe down my cabin with sanitizing wipes, even if it only just removes the top dirt. I wipe down my personal space on airplanes, hotel rooms, etc., and have always done that whether we're on a cruise or not.

Finally, wash, wash, wash!

I didn't read this entire thread and all its responses, but here's my list for staying healthy on a cruise:

That is the great part about being on a ship with tons of kids, you get in the elevator and all the buttons have already been pushed.

What kind of wipes do people take. I can’t picture a container of Lysol wipes in my luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I buy small packages that I find in Target or Walmart where they sell travel size toiletries. Also' date=' I've seen the small package of wipes where they sell the large canisters. I usually buy Lysol or Clorox brand.

That is the great part about being on a ship with tons of kids, you get in the elevator and all the buttons have already been pushed.

LOL, that's very true!

Proper precautions is the way to go. Carry your own hand sanitizer. when I eat at the buffet I use several paper napkins to handle the utensils and sanitize my hands before eating. The ships are pretty through when they sanitize the ship. Sanitize the things you would touch in your cabin like the toilet and faucet handles and the door handles including the balcony door if you have one. I’m not a germaphobic even though it seams like it lol. These are just suggestions if you’re concerned about getting Norovirus.

Sanitize often. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First & foremost: Wash, wash, wash! Hot soapy water is your friend.

Do not touch your eyes, nose, mouth. The mucus membranes are what transmits the bug.

Do not hold on to railings. I lean my arm for balance, as I have balance issues.

Do not shake hands, kiss, or even air-kiss anyone. Okay, spouse or kids nothwithstanding. Keep some space.

Stay out of the buffet restaurant. Even if the staff is doing the serving.

Use sanitizer a lot. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol-based hand sanitizer DOES NOT kill noro virus, only bleach can do that, but at least you're doing something.

I wipe down my cabin with sanitizing wipes, even if it only just removes the top dirt. I wipe down my personal space on airplanes, hotel rooms, etc., and have always done that whether we're on a cruise or not.

Finally, wash, wash, wash!

DH and I have had the norovirus on a cruise, and he had a very very bad case of it at an all inclusive. We now are VERY picky about doing those steps you list above :) Happily we haven't had the norovirus in a long time.

I think people who are worried about this specific ship need to realize that there are lots of outbreaks that aren't in the news. If you are really afraid of norovirus, you should avoid cruises, all inclusives, etc- they are a hotbed for norovirus. I'm not trying to be mean or snarky, but it's the truth!

I've gotten noro twice and both times I got it on a plane (my best guess anyway). We hear about cruise outbreaks because people are confined to that area for the duration, but it's everywhere.The first time I got it I had a toddler who stuck her fist in my mouth without warning... after touching who knows what. So gross. Our whole family got sick on that one. And the second time I guess I was just careless because I was traveling alone. So now when I travel I carry lysol wipes in my carry-on and wipe down my seat area. And I'm careful not to touch my face without washing my hands first. This is hard because I rub my eyes a lot without realizing it.

Anyway all I'm saying is that it's everywhere, unfortunately.

I just want to add that although cruise ships always get the press for a Norovirus outbreak, it is prevalent everywhere there are groups of people together in a setting. I worked in healthcare for years, both acute and LTC, and there were ALWAYS outbreaks in our LTC facility. I also worked in the school health setting, and once it hits the school, it can spread like wildfire. So calm down everybody. This virus can be caught anywhere. Just use great hand washing techniques, and follow everyone’s previous advice about antiseptic wipes and hand sanitizer, even though they do not kill Norovirus. And ALWAY, ALWAYS, ALWAYS avoid touching your face, eyes, and mouth!!

Yes I did, used insurance loop hole and got future credit for my flights. I'm sure more folks will stay away until no further outbreaks.

If you aren’t going to cruise until no further outbreaks you might as well forget cruising. As long as you have a large group of people from various backgrounds in regards to hygiene you are going to encounter this illness. Go, use the protection provided, wash your hands well and often, don’t touch the railings, carry a napkin to protect your hands from elevator buttons and door handles. But mostly, use common sense!

Sent from my iPad using Forums