Anyone thinking of canceling IOTS Jan 8 out of FLL?

shuwei

Those are reported cases. Many, many more won't report it as they will be quarantined in their cabin. Why ruin their vacation?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

That's probably how this all started. I have seen where people aren't going to waste their money by cancelling when they know darn well they are sick.

I think the OP should cancel as he is going to be worried the whole trip and ruin it for others. It's marvelous though that Noro is only on cruises, otherwise I'm sure the OP would never leave the house. Seriously!

Yes I did, used insurance loop hole and got future credit for my flights. I'm sure more folks will stay away until no further outbreaks.

I would suggest not traveling between the months of November to April, the peaks months for Noro outbreaks in the US. During a normal year 6.2% of the US populations gets Noro. A far far higher percentage then occurs on cruise ships. You are more likely to catch Noro going about your normal life at home than on a cruise ship, even during peak months.

Wow, I'd like to thank all of you who posted snarky responses to my honest question. Thanks for making me feel welcome here.

Glad most of you who responded AREN'T going on this cruise. Geezzz....

I hope you will go on the cruise and have a wonderful time. Personally, I wouldn't cancel. I agree with you though about the comments. I'm new to cruise critic and can't believe how uncivilized and rude some of the responses are to questions seeking advice. Thanks for the reminder to treat others the way you want to be treated. :)

Wow, I'd like to thank all of you who posted snarky responses to my honest question. Thanks for making me feel welcome here.

I agree. Anything I post is attached as well I guess the work critic is taken as a literal attack open season to criticize. Good luck. I understand your concern

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We boarded a ship right after a Norovirus outbreak the previous week. Our boarding was slightly delayed due to the extensive cleaning, but no way would I cancel. Just think of it this way. You will be boarding what is probably going to be the cleanest ship in the fleet!

I don’t understand some of the rude remarks. For this person asking the question it was an honest question in her mind. And to answer your question, no I would not cancel but I certainly would take precautions wash your hands, wash your hands. I would use sanitized wipes and wipe everything down in your cabin such as the remote control, knobs on the dressers what have you.

I didn't realize there were so many jerks around here. Goodness.

To answer the OP, I can certainly understand the concern. But also think of it this way... after an outbreak, they will be certain that ship is clean, and approach it from an abundance of caution. IMO the ship is probably as clean as it's ever been after an event like this. Go, and enjoy yourself.

I don’t understand some of the rude remarks. For this person asking the question it was an honest question in her mind. And to answer your question, no I would not cancel but I certainly would take precautions wash your hands, wash your hands. I would use sanitized wipes and wipe everything down in your cabin such as the remote control, knobs on the dressers what have you.

Do you really do all these things? If I had to worry about these sterilization procedures, I might not go........Scratch that, I would not go.

Do you really do all these things? If I had to worry about these sterilization procedures, I might not go........Scratch that, I would not go.

I personally haven’t but I’ve got friends that do that. So on my next cruise I was thinking about just kind a wiping here and there. It sure can’t hurt anything. I have gotten sick on a ship that turned into bronchitis that had me coughing so hard I broke a rib. Do not want to go through that again.

My wife caught Noro on Sea Princess so i can understand your concerns and we have been on a few P&O ships when there has been a Noro outbreak and they do everything possible to contain it and clean the stair rails door handles etc during the cruise and a deep clean at the end of the cruise so unless someone carries Noro onto the ship on the next cruise you are less likely than normal to get Noro Virus.

We are on Indy now, with two more booked.

We will not cancel.

However, I am going to take a break from Royal.

With all the ‘food safety’ restrictions in place now....

I can’t wait to get off this ship in Costa Maya tomorrow.

I am hungry! haha...never thought I’d be hungry on

a cruise ship....

We are on Indy now, with two more booked.

We will not cancel.

However, I am going to take a break from Royal.

With all the ‘food safety’ restrictions in place now....

I can’t wait to get off this ship in Costa Maya tomorrow.

I am hungry! haha...never thought I’d be hungry on

a cruise ship....

Did they close the WIndjammer?

Don't blame the OP for worrying. I would feel uneasy too. But for us, we wouldn't cancel....just be extra gernaphobic and was hands before eating (which we do anyways) and be more conscious of not putting hands to eyes and mouth.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Thinking of cancelling IOTSeas after this Norovirus scare - anyone else?

We were booked on a Princess cruise a few years back where the cruise before us had noro. We had the same trepidation's as you. We called Princess to cancel but told we would lose all of our money so we went.

We wiped everything down in our room when we finally boarded around 7pm. We were supposed to leave from FLL in the afternoon.

These post about the ship being the cleanest it has ever been didn't matter on our cruise. The ship had another outbreak so bad we were ordered back to FLL after 5 days of a 7 day cruise without ever visiting a port.

While we personally didn't get sick we didn't leave our cabin much and when we did washed our hands very often.

Hopefully within the next 3 weeks there won't be any more outbreaks on the Indy and you'll have a great time.

Bill

Noroviruses

People often associate cruise ships with acute gastrointestinal illnesses such as norovirus. But acute gastrointestinal illness is relatively infrequent on cruise ships despite its notoriety.

From 2008 to 2014, 74 million passengers sailed on cruise ships in the Vessel Sanitation Program’s jurisdiction. Only 129,678 passengers met the program’s case definition for acute gastrointestinal illness and only a small proportion of those cases (1 in 10) were part of a norovirus outbreak.

Even on a ship with a huge outbreak 90% will be unaffected.

What sort of response did you really think you would get. A lot of people who responded do their homework. They have seen/heard of many cases of Noro and they understand that it is very rare that a ship would be affected much more than the cruise that had the outbreak. Deep cleaning is done every time a ship has a certain number of sick people.

I would think that the boat that just HAD the Norovirus scare is going to be about the CLEANEST ship in the fleet based on how extensively they attack the problem once the ship is cleared. Still, take extra precautions, do you due diligence and you will be fine.

If I could do it without losing any money, I'd probably consider it if I was booked. Some people just don't have the health to weather something like noro, I don't. But I couldn't see myself taking a financial hit to skip the cruise, I'd probably just overdo it on the precautions and hope for the best.

It can happen on any ship. Just because on one sailing no one got sick, doesn't mean the next one will be the same. So if you would really think of canceling a cruise 3 weeks away based on this sailing, you might be the type to just not cruise.

This is not to be mean. Just answering your question.

I am not an overly precautious person about Noro Virus. But we just disembarked Rhapsody today, and the ship is very lax about a frequent sanitizing schedule. We sail pretty often, and I am more used to a several hour (maybe 3-5 hour?) schedule of wiping down the bar, tables and hard surfaces that are touched by passengers. We always keep up our frequent personal hand washing, but during the winter, it is nice to see ships that are more proactive about the virus, rather than reactive. And Rhapsody was not. And we saw the CNN story about Independence onboard. Nothing changed.

Edited by Coralc

To OP, we will be sailing on the Indy in 4 days so I understand your concern but it never crossed my mind to cancel the cruise due to Norovirus. Instead, we went to the store and loaded up on antibacterial wipes and sanitizer and will be extra careful in touching things in public areas while on the ship.

Everyone has different tolerance for risk. I know for us that as long as the ship is able to sail, we will be there Thursday. As far as I know, no one from our roll call has cancelled either.