Net Neutrality

CruiseGal999

It will be an issue of what your broadband or wireless carrier chooses to give you in relation to access to the Internet. I doubt CC will be affected, unless the whole company that includes CC might be bought by a competitor to your broadband or wireless provider. If that happens, your broadband or wireless carrier may be blocked from CC by the owner of the competitor, have to pay more for you to get CC, or your carrier may perhaps chose not to carry CC due to cost and competition factors.

I doubt CC will be a player that carriers will mess with...more likely the more important Internet operations like NetFlix and similar. Again, it might be CC's owners, or future owners that creates the problems. But we will see.

If I understand correctly, this will allow my internet provider (Xf!n) to raise my monthly fee AND charge me per search, twitter, etc.? I basically stream my tv shows ... I do have basic cable, but find streaming better. So this is really problematic for me and others like me.

If I understand correctly, this will allow my internet provider (Xf!n) to raise my monthly fee AND charge me per search, twitter, etc.? I basically stream my tv shows ... I do have basic cable, but find streaming better. So this is really problematic for me and others like me.

Yes, I suspect this is one place they will be able to grab more fees from you.

It will be an issue of what your broadband or wireless carrier chooses to give you in relation to access to the Internet. I doubt CC will be affected, unless the whole company that includes CC might be bought by a competitor to your broadband or wireless provider. If that happens, your broadband or wireless carrier may be blocked from CC by the owner of the competitor, have to pay more for you to get CC, or your carrier may perhaps chose not to carry CC due to cost and competition factors.

I doubt CC will be a player that carriers will mess with...more likely the more important Internet operations like NetFlix and similar. Again, it might be CC's owners, or future owners that creates the problems. But we will see.

As wealthy internet outfits start paying for priority and preferential service, the smaller information sources will be pushed to the back of the line for both speed and access. Expect the majority of sites you visit to become slower and the sites with lots of money becoming faster.

Since CC is a free site, relying on a small amount of ad revenue to function, I wouldn't be surprised to see it occasionally unavailable or very slow due to favoritism being given to sites that can pay for priority treatment. Nothing different than the trend we are seeing on cruise lines today - the rich get more amenities at the expense of the average cruiser.

You'll probably also have to pay more to view certain news sites vs others that are favored by the groups that have championed this legislation. It's all part of controlling what you are allowed to see, hear, and know.

Nothing different than the trend we are seeing on cruise lines today - the rich get more amenities at the expense of the average cruiser.

I would be curious what factual evidence you have of this theory. I think the opposite is true...low end cabins are frequently sold at or near a loss to get people on the ship, where the cruise line can make money on their alcohol and excursion purchases, which have far, far greater profit margins. This has been documented by cruise line employees and travel agents many times on CC.

I would be curious what factual evidence you have of this theory. I think the opposite is true...low end cabins are frequently sold at or near a loss to get people on the ship, where the cruise line can make money on their alcohol and excursion purchases, which have far, far greater profit margins. This has been documented by cruise line employees and travel agents many times on CC.

Just look at how ships are being reconfigured during dry dock to include more lounges, dining rooms and deck space for the suite guests (AKA: the rich cabins). Also look at how much deck space is being dedicated to suited guests on new builds. Any suare foot given to ne group is a square foot of space others cannot enjoy. It's a physics thing.

Just look at how ships are being reconfigured during dry dock to include more lounges, dining rooms and deck space for the suite guests (AKA: the rich cabins). Also look at how much deck space is being dedicated to suited guests on new builds. Any suare foot given to ne group is a square foot of space others cannot enjoy. It's a physics thing.

And people in suites pay more per square foot of cabin than lower level cabins. However, each additional square foot doesn't cost more for the cruise, until you figure in the perks Suites get.

Its not physics at all. It really has nothing to do with physics. Its business. Suggest you look at how the business of moving and housing people works. Suites usually subsidize lower level accomadations, not the reverse.

Absolutely nothing to do with physics. At least not the physics I minored in.

How is Net Neutrality going to affect CC and all it's members?

Or, is Net Neutrality going to affect streaming and monthly fees more than individual websites?

The first thing to happen, according to people on Twitter, will be years of lawsuits. Something to keep in mind is, at best, polling companies only found 20% of real U.S citzens who either agreed with the 3 companies willing to end our free internet/ Net Neutrality or who didn't know what Net Neutrality was. Another problem for this decision by the FCC is, it's backwards from how other western Nation's are treating their access to the Internet. Countries with free

Markets and more or less Free Citzens like Canada and Germany have taken action to prevent

any and all companies or other interests from taking control of the internet from the people's rights to Net Neutrality. They protect their citzens private information, their images, conversations, access and speed on the WWW. They also leave the web free and open from any form of directing traffic to certian sites.

We had NO issues before the "net neutrality" thing...I expect NO issues if it's gone.

Since "net neutrality" has only be a thing for 2 years or so I tend to agree.

My thoughts exactly. Just another over-politicized nothingburger.

We had NO issues before the "net neutrality" thing...I expect NO issues if it's gone.

One could argue net nesutrality goes back to 1934 Communications act so you must be really old ;) 2010 after the Comcast lawsuit is probably more realistic and look how much the net is depended on now for our news, entertainment and information. Did Netflix even exist in 2010?

Luckily Canadians aren’t changing anything but it’s interesting to watch from the sidelines.

One could argue net nesutrality goes back to 1934 Communications act so you must be really old ;) 2010 after the Comcast lawsuit is probably more realistic and look how much the net is depended on now for our news, entertainment and information. Did Netflix even exist in 2010?

Luckily Canadians aren’t changing anything but it’s interesting to watch from the sidelines.

I had no idea that Al Gore invented the internet back in 1934, he looks really good for his age:').

But, with net neutrality, the government will have control. As always, government control will improve everything. The internet hasn't worked for 30 years so it will continue not to work without our government in control.

Hey, Donald Trump and the Russians controlling the internet. Isn't that a great thought?

But, with net neutrality, the government will have control. As always, government control will improve everything. The internet hasn't worked for 30 years so it will continue not to work without our government in control.

Hey, Donald Trump and the Russians controlling the internet. Isn't that a great thought?

How exactly will the government have control with the repeal of net neutrality? :confused:

Wow

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Netflix .... 08/29/1997 ... started with the DVD mailing service that literally put Blockbuster and Hollywood Video out of business. Streaming is just the icing on the cake.

This Ajit Pai, Chairman of the FCC, is pushing this SO hard and fast .... I am hoping people are right that nothing will change quickly.

Ajit Pai wants to declare the internet a utility and treat it as such.

Californians ... remember the deregulation of the power companies and Enron disaster and electric bills anywhere from $400 - $600 a month for a 2 person household (mine, and we turned off our TV and used candles ... I'm not kidding. Dishwasher & Washer/Dryer 1x week, no stove or oven use) and $1200 + a month for families with a 2+ kids. THIS is what bothers me .... whether it's today, next year in 2018 or 5 or more years from now.

NO ... Net Neutrality does NOT mean the Gov't will control the Internet. Net Neutrality rules were put into place in 2015. With Ajit Pai, then Commissioner of the FCC, having a conniption trying to prevent it then!

REMOVING the CURRENT Net Neutrality Rules (which was voted on 12/14/17 and won with a 3 - 2 vote by the FCC) will allow the government (FCC) to dictate what you watch/see/stream/ read/download, etc. on the internet.

And monthly internet fees will skyrocket and then each google search, each wikipedia search, each twitter that is sent, facebook searches/messages, etc. will charged each time you use it .... 100 times a day.

The first thing to happen, according to people on Twitter, will be years of lawsuits. .

Wow...what a 'bonanza' for the attorney's...;p

I suspect that CC may fare very well with this....they are large enough to maintain their dominance in their field by paying more for better speed and search position, than their many smaller and newer competitor's....

How exactly will the government have control with the repeal of net neutrality? :confused:

Repeal of net neutrality takes the government OUT of it.

Just to be clear, I am totally AGAINST net neutrality.

BTW, what a description, nothing neutral about it.