Tips going Up

tugboat

I’m reminded of the psychometric tests for reading comprehension that have become popular with employers in recent times. Most here can’t do well on these tests based on the degree of romantasism being put forth; it shocks me in a sense what so many choose to read into statements RCL has made things that are written nowhere.

The argument put forth to find proof that a belief in unfounded when there is nothing to support the belief in the first place is silly to the point of being too tiresome an activity to engage with.

If things were as so many assume I bet RCL would explicitly reinforce this, since to do so would represent an exceptionally strong marketing message that would further open the wallets of many passengers.

So you are upset they are making $47,720 a year working 70+ Hours a week(which works out to $13 an hour)? And that's only if they don't take a vacation. Anyone know how much they actually make from the cruise line per hour?

47k would be a huge deal for most in their country of origin - Plus for many, free room and board that’s better than they would get at home.

I think it’s very safe to say that all tipped personnel do much better since tips were automatically added and charged. Obviously Royal is due CC commissions and maybe even an admin fee as its clear that, even after these fees, the staff ends up with more in their pocket than if RCCL (and most other lines) were not involved.

I also think it’s clear that most enjoy the simplicity of charging their tips even though it has resulted in less attentive service. Seems like RCCL has attempted to recapture what was lost on the service front by using surveys to distribute tips based on feedback instead of using simple division. Good idea in concept, pretty crappy so far in practice.

Given all the much more transparent moves RCCL has made to increase non-fare revenue, it certainly wouldn’t surprise me to learn that 40 cents of the extra dollar pppd is going to RCCL and not the staff. In the end, all I care about is if DW and I each get our 7 bucks worth for the week. (ITS A Beer [emoji481]! ).

The thing is, they continue to redistribute the work load so the crew can’t do a little bit more for the little extra I’m paying. I’d rather have the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To get back to the topic of this thread:

If someone is truly concerned and willing to make a big fuss over an additional $1 (or $2 per cabin)/day, $14/week, then perhaps they should ask themselves Why?

Frankly, I don't get it. I can afford it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't cruise. I consider it an additional service charge to be paid with cruise fare, port fees etc.

I wish RCI would just change this charge from "tips" to "service charge" like many other cruise lines are doing. And make them mandatory. That would stop a a large percentage of the threads on these boards.....;)

JMHO

Please advise which cruise line charges a mandatory service charge that is not included in the base rate for a cruise! I trust none as this is not allowed according to at least European law.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So you are upset they are making $47,720 a year working 70+ Hours a week(which works out to $13 an hour)? And that's only if they don't take a vacation. Anyone know how much they actually make from the cruise line per hour?

Just look at the ITF website, this applies for most seamen from Asia. They also do not work that many hours per day, it is regulated as well.

What would those lengths be?

Picking up a phone and calling guest services to remove gratuities is not an arduous task, neither is standing in a line at guest services, although perhaps a little more time consuming.

I stand corrected. It's easy.

So the lengths people will go to in order to excuse it is the amusing part.

To get back to the topic of this thread:

If someone is truly concerned and willing to make a big fuss over an additional $1 (or $2 per cabin)/day, $14/week, then perhaps they should ask themselves Why?

Frankly, I don't get it. I can afford it. If I couldn't, I wouldn't cruise. I consider it an additional service charge to be paid with cruise fare, port fees etc.

I wish RCI would just change this charge from "tips" to "service charge" like many other cruise lines are doing. And make them mandatory. That would stop a a large percentage of the threads on these boards.....;)

JMHO

I don't quite follow your logic. There are many things that all of us could afford in life even if they cost more, including the cruise fare. Does that mean you are fine with paying more? And if the $14/week does not phase you what number is it that would start to get your attention?

The service crew that work on the ships do not live the North American tip culture life and many in the US need to realize this and clear their heads!

In Australia RCI cruises factor all grats into the initial cruise price with zero grats onboard and most Australians do not tip anything to anyone ever! Cruise prices have not increased with the grats absorbsion because of market competition and staff have not left in droves.

RCI North America would be better off going down the same track as RCI AU and just let USA tippers tip away as they feel necessary,so why dont they do it? Because USA has the largest cruising population numbers in the world and the grats are just a wage subsidy collected by RCI and spread across the worldwide fleet of employees

It is obvious that cruiselines do not give 100% of cruisers paid grats directly to workers as an "over and above" salary else they would be earning more than most people who ever go on a cruise.

The staff get paid the same no matter how many cruisers opt out or in of grats thats why so many cruielines introduced "pre paid grats" "for your convenience" you know lol

And do you really believe Travel agents can cover your grats out of their sales commission? lol Travel agent paid grats means no grats paid at all! its just a carrot on a stick!

If grats are constantly down then the labor hire companies who contract the staff will replace the staff,this becomes the huge incentive onboard that teams need to maintain which is constantly prompted by their (long service) Team leaders.

Keeping their job and not loosing company grats (profit) is the game because they all get paid per their contract agreement regardless grat collection.

Edited by fishtaco

TIt is obvious that cruiselines do not give 100% of cruisers paid grats directly to workers as an "over and above" salary else they would be earning more than most people who ever go on a cruise.

Right, it goes toward CEO Fain's pocket change.:rolleyes:

Right, it goes toward CEO Fain's pocket change.:rolleyes:

Jeez "wake up ffs":confused: personal tips are different to grats, if this was not the case then cruise staff would not work on Australian cruises! they do however likey likey very much your stateside extra tipping culture. lol

staff are on contract from labor hire companies and get paid regardless Cruiselines Gratuities collection.:p

It is obvious that cruiselines do not give 100% of cruisers paid grats directly to workers as an "over and above" salary else they would be earning more than most people who ever go on a cruise.

The staff get paid the same no matter how many cruisers opt out or in of grats thats why so many cruielines introduced "pre paid grats" "for your convenience" you know lol

And do you really believe Travel agents can cover your grats out of their sales commission? lol Travel agent paid grats means no grats paid at all! its just a carrot on a stick!

If grats are constantly down then the labor hire companies who contract the staff will replace the staff,this becomes the huge incentive onboard that teams need to maintain which is constantly prompted by their (long service) Team leaders.

Keeping their job and not loosing company grats (profit) is the game because they all get paid per their contract agreement regardless grat collection.

You pretty much have no clue what you are talking about. For one, when a TA gives free gratuities, it's often just OBC added to your account to cover them. There is nothing hidden.

Any other unfounded statements or opinions today?

You pretty much have no clue what you are talking about. For one, when a TA gives free gratuities, it's often just OBC added to your account to cover them. There is nothing hidden.

Yup. That's one of the more common ways it's done. Although a good TA can also register your prepaid gratuity with Royal Caribbean directly within their TA system if desired.

The service crew that work on the ships do not live the North American tip culture life and many in the US need to realize this and clear their heads!

In Australia RCI cruises factor all grats into the initial cruise price with zero grats onboard and most Australians do not tip anything to anyone ever! Cruise prices have not increased with the grats absorbsion because of market competition and staff have not left in droves.

So many incorrect statements here. The most amusing was how you used to go on how Australians were ripped off compared to US cruisers who got the best prices, and called those who disagreed cruise line shills and similar, yet now say we pay the same. Good to see you've at least changed your tune on this!

The European line MSC do.

They call it service charge but the guest can adjust or remove it as well. This is a requirement by European law and some cruise lines have been sued to give passengers this option. If it is a mandatory fee it must be part of the base rate!

Some restaurants recommend or set gratuities and I don't see what Royal is doing as any different. Royal has a set a gratuity amount for their staff and cruisers have the option to pay the amount, remove it, adjust the amount down or even pay more, as they see fit. Some people are tippers by nature and will do so regardless of on a cruise or elsewhere. Some people are not and feel that what they've paid should be inclusive of good service. Although I am tipper (sometimes because of service other times because of guilt), I can appreciate that people have paid hard earned money for their cruise and feel that any "bonus" or recognition that Royal wants to provide to their staff for service above and beyond should be provided by Royal themselves. It's a similar situation to drinks on a cruise. I pay 18% service charge when I purchase my drink package but yet I still tip on top of this (this would be one of those guilt times). I can't fault someone for not tipping on drinks since Royal has decided to collect the this upfront. Maybe someone can chime in on whether any of the 18% collected goes to the bar staff since Royal it appears that this would be the case as Royal states that " .. you won't have to pay additional gratuities on drinks unless you want to." Or are bar staff only covered by the general gratuities amount?

I don't quite follow your logic. There are many things that all of us could afford in life even if they cost more, including the cruise fare. Does that mean you are fine with paying more? And if the $14/week does not phase you what number is it that would start to get your attention?

Let’s assume worst case: RCCL is pocketing the whole $7 increase for a one week cruise (they are not but just for argument’s sake). If you were purchasing the same cabin for the same week, a year later and the price was $7 more pp than the year before would it bother you as much?

Let’s assume worst case: RCCL is pocketing the whole $7 increase for a one week cruise (they are not but just for argument’s sake). If you were purchasing the same cabin for the same week, a year later and the price was $7 more pp than the year before would it bother you as much?

Nothing is bothering me. I asked a question, nothing more and nothing less. I don't get the attitude that "I can afford more so I don't mind paying more." It seems a bit odd to me. The last time I bought a television I shopped for the best price I could get even though I could have afforded to pay more.

The gratuity has increased, what are everyone's expectations for service providers? Will more passengers remove gratuities for any perceived slight? How many will stop adding cash to the auto gratuities?

I'm not changing my tipping habits, but... it may be only one dollar. On top of all the other dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

True of us as well....but I do believe more passengers will remove gratuities that don't share the philosophy that you and my husband and I have.

The question arises: Is there a point in time where Royal just increases the fares (across the board) and says "TIPS ARE INCLUDED" and do away with the 'daily surcharge/gratuity fee' as it is now? Like that all costs are incurred by all cruisers.

They call it service charge but the guest can adjust or remove it as well. This is a requirement by European law and some cruise lines have been sued to give passengers this option. If it is a mandatory fee it must be part of the base rate!

No, the guest can't change it. They can remove it, but only in the case of really bad service, which will be questioned. If service is acceptable, it cannot be removed.

It is not done flexibly like American lines.