High winds=danger?

bride928

Does anyone else get nervous right before their cruise? In February I had a bumpy night on Vista, heading out on Magic in 6 days and I'm a little nervous.

When dealing with wind speed, how much can a cruise ship take before it becomes dangerous? At what knot speed does it become a concern?

I'm sure this is just my anxiety getting the best of me. Praying for a safe trip and smooth seas.

Does anyone else get nervous right before their cruise? In February I had a bumpy night on Vista, heading out on Magic in 6 days and I'm a little nervous.

When dealing with wind speed, how much can a cruise ship take before it becomes dangerous? At what knot speed does it become a concern?

I'm sure this is just my anxiety getting the best of me. Praying for a safe trip and smooth seas.

Please don’t be nervous. Ships are designed to handle very extreme situations like hurricanes and then some...so some rough seas, while a little bouncy is never dangerous.

Honestly you really don’t have to concern yourself with the safety of the ship. It is well built to stand much, much more than you would ever be exposed to.

I hope you have a wonderful and smooth sailing!!

Please don’t be nervous. Ships are designed to handle very extreme situations like hurricanes and then some...so some rough seas, while a little bouncy is never dangerous.

Honestly you really don’t have to concern yourself with the safety of the ship. It is well built to stand much, much more than you would ever be exposed to.

I hope you have a wonderful and smooth sailing!!

Thank you. The logical part of me knows this. It always helps to hear it reinforced. I appreciate your input!

I’ve worked on 100’ shrimp boats where the waves were crashing over the wheel house. We’d crest the top of the wave and when it fell out we’d drop to the bottom of th trough and you could hear the bottom of the boat vibrate. I’m still here to tell you is a 100’ boat can handle those waves a ship will be more than fine.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Even if you do sail through stormy weather, the ship is built well and can take it. We have had the unfortunate stormy sea day, and while it is a little rough on the sea sickness (not to worry, I saw LOTS of bags around for your stomach churning pleasure), the staff do their best to keep you safe. If possible, your captain will avoid as much of it as possible. If the seas are too rough, I’ve experienced some of the outdoor decks being closed off.

If that is the worst that you have to look forward to, you are in pretty good shape. Sit back and try to enjoy your wait for the cruise! You’ll be ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get a little nervous too. But I'm like that with flying also (thumbs up for Lorazapam!)

The first cruise I ever took was in 2011. I had a minor procedure done under anesthesia 3 weeks prior to cruising and ended up having an allergic reaction to the anesthesia, which in turn left me with on and off dizziness for 2 weeks. My Dr. found out I was cruising and Prescribed me Meclazine (Bonine) with instructions to take a pill every 6 hours. I survived perfectly fine in 15 foot seas for 2 days. And if you knew me you'd know that that was completely amazing because the joke is "don't look at Jen the wrong way or she'll throw up". 🤣🤣

Take meds even if you don't think you'll need them and at least they'll be in your system working if you do. Mind over matter, don't psych yourself out. I'm sure you'll be smooth as glass in the water.

I hope you have smooth seas and a fantastic cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I might not be the right person to help you as I love a bit of rough.

But be assured the captain w9nt take the ship anywhere she can’t handle.

Worrying about weather affecting a cruise ship is illogical. Worry about the more common things such as getting struck by lightning.

This is a bit harsh don’t you think?

The OP obviously has an anxiety problem. From one who personally knows about severe anxiety.....trust me the struggle is real!!

Please, please don’t be so critical about something you may not understand!

Worrying about weather affecting a cruise ship is illogical. Worry about the more common things such as getting struck by lightning.

You took a lot of time out of your Christmas holiday to be negative. Good for you grinch. :rolleyes:

I like your sense of humour.

To the ones who didn't catch it: There is a very low probability of getting struck by lightning. By saying 'more common things' the poster tells the OP that weather affecting a cruise ship has a very, very, very low probability.

Not snarky at all, IMNSHO.

I like your sense of humour.

To the ones who didn't catch it: There is a very low probability of getting struck by lightning. By saying 'more common things' the poster tells the OP that weather affecting a cruise ship has a very, very, very low probability.

Not snarky at all, IMNSHO.

Well....at least someone on here doesn't wake up looking to be offended. :champagne-toast:

Just because it may get a little windy once in awhile is really nothing to get concerned about. I do recommend two things though. When you're out on an open deck, like the Lido deck, don't wear a hat, or it may get blown off of your head. Also, if you're wearing a lanyard, tuck it inside your shirt so the wind doesn't blow your S&S card around and slap you in the face. ;)

Just because it may get a little windy once in awhile is really nothing to get concerned about. I do recommend two things though. When you're out on an open deck, like the Lido deck, don't wear a hat, or it may get blown off of your head. Also, if you're wearing a lanyard, tuck it inside your shirt so the wind doesn't blow your S&S card around and slap you in the face. ;)

LOL, Love the lanyard tip !

Way back when Andrew was off the coast of FL (1992), one of the crew, an officer, was talking to a young man probably about 15 and I was in line behind him waiting for a coffee.

The ship had already changed itineraries several times and people were getting nervous.

The young man asked if the ship was going to sink when he went to bed that night.

The Officer was so nice. He explained that the Captain would do nothing to damage the ship, she was his responsibility. Since we were all on the ship, we were guaranteed to stay safe.

I have never forgotten that little conversation. I have been in some very rough seas and that has always kept me calm.

I still bring meds in case I need them, keep a ginger ale in the cabin and a few green apples. If those work for the crew, they can work for me too.

I was on a cruise out of Tampa many years ago- it was the roughest sustained waves I've ever experienced (been in worse, just not for very long, whereas this cruise we had pretty heavy rocking for 3 solid days)... we were all making fun of each other, because no one could walk in a straight line due to the rocking! The CD came on the PA making jokes about it, and I think that really helped everyone calm down. As he put it, if this thing was gonna sink, you'd all have to stand in line BEHIND ME!!!

Amen about the drive to the ship or airport!

We now get a driver (SUV not a Limo) as I refuse to be the driver, when everyone is so excited and bouncing like Tigger in their seats!

It is less than the parking and for the peace of mind, well worth it.

Pot, meet kettle.

It's my post so I have vested interest in the replies here. Why even respond if you don't intend to contribute to answering my question?

There was no sarcasm necessary. I just posed a genuine concern because of a prior experience of rocky seas while cruising. Others have reassured me a bit about my upcoming trip however, which is greatly appreciated.

I wasn't looking to offend anyone or be offended by anyone. Just looking for opinions of other experienced cruisers.

I think your greatest danger is in the car ride to the port.

Once on board your least danger is from the weather.

You will be fine. Safety is number one priority on any vessel.

Thanks! I'm probably nervous over nothing at all.