NCL changed price without notifying us

apietros

I booked a cruise for July 2019 and paid my deposit yesterday. Today I look at my NCL account online and they doubled the price of the cruise on me. I have all of my documents stating original price. I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because your deposit is 100% refundable, you can easily cancel and spend your money on a different cruise or stateroom. Mistakes happen. This doesn't seem common with NCL, if that's what you are asking. It's a misunderstanding or flat out mistake. Sorry this happened to you.

check and see what the price really should be. If indeed it is what you were quoted just cancel and rebook like Colin suggested. It seems pretty strange that the price would be exactly twice what was quoted. Where did you get the original price? Did you check on line before you called to book? Something just doesn't seem to fit this picture. Hope you can get it all straightened out. We have been cruising since the mid 1980s on many lines and never had anything, on any line like this happen. :confused:

I would never, ever, ever consider booking a cruise without pricing it online first. I would think the poster would have done something to get an idea of pricing, dates, cabins, etc.

Even so, if they are able to book it online for the "other" price then cancel the first one and book it over. Some folks do talk about some pricing issues here, but it is very rare. I can not remember ever having this particular issue come up.

Because your deposit is 100% refundable, you can easily cancel and spend your money on a different cruise or stateroom. Mistakes happen. This doesn't seem common with NCL, if that's what you are asking. It's a misunderstanding or flat out mistake. Sorry this happened to you.

True if you booked with NCL in the United States. Not necessarily true if you booked through a non-US NCL office or some travel agents.

If you booked direct w NCL they have the tapes; ask for them to be reviewed. Something is very off. Have never had a cruise repriced in such a manner. Quoting you s price, taking a deposit, giving you a receipt and then raising the price is text book bait and switch. You should not have to cancel but rather push for the original deal to be honored

There was another poster who had an agreed upon price challenged because of an agent error. You can find the thread under the title: What do you think would be fair? by andy2032 (I tried to post a link but it didn’t work).

Perhaps seeing how it was handled here can help with your situation (even if they’re not exactly the same).

I would definitely contact NCL as LMaxwell recommended. They have tapes of conversations & you have documentation of the original booking.

I hope it all works out for you!

Edited by Shanlon42
Tried to fix link

If you booked direct w NCL they have the tapes; ask for them to be reviewed. Something is very off. Have never had a cruise repriced in such a manner. Quoting you s price, taking a deposit, giving you a receipt and then raising the price is text book bait and switch. You should not have to cancel but rather push for the original deal to be honored

Bait and switch implies intent. I doubt there was any intent to bait the OP with a cheaper price and then raise it, especially if they have the original invoice with the cheaper price. I would think NCL will honor the original invoice but they don’t have to if it was a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bait and switch

noun

1. A fraudulent advertising claim or sales offer for a product or service that is not available or not for sale at the stated price, made with the intention of luring customers who are then offered something else or forced to spend more money to get the same thing.
  2. A deception based on a false claim or enticement that proves to be disappointing.

Here is an example of bait and switch. Making a mistake is not bait and switch. If the OP feels that they have been wronged, cancel the cruise and either re-book with NCL or another cruise line.

If the retailer has intentionally run the ad without having the item in stock, this is bait and switch.

Okay English teachers of Cruise Critic, if this isn't bait and switch, what is it? A simple computer error?

a computer error maybe or a human error, but I doubt it was intentional and that is what bait and switch means to most of us. I see it as a misunderstanding somewhere and think hearing the tape will clarify what happened.

Whatever you want to call it, if you have NCL branded documents that state one price escalate this and keep pushing to the next person in charge until you get to a solution together that you're happy with. Mistake or not, large companies should (and in my experience usually do) honor things like this when there is a paper trail. They may try to brush you aside at first but with persistence I think you'll come out on top.

Whatever you want to call it, if you have NCL branded documents that state one price escalate this and keep pushing to the next person in charge until you get to a solution together that you're happy with. Mistake or not, large companies should (and in my experience usually do) honor things like this when there is a paper trail. They may try to brush you aside at first but with persistence I think you'll come out on top.

at this stage I don't think the OP has any proof or what she was quoted. I think she needs to get a supervisor to review the conversation and try to figure out what happened.