LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

At Sea – January 30, 2018

I stayed up late last night because I was finally able to resize my pictures and I had three days worth to do. After being disappointed that Claudia was not able to diagnose my photo issues, I thought back to what Tom, one of my trivia partners, said about automatic updates which was to try turning them off. So last night before I went to bed I did that. After restarting my computer I was able to get to my pictures once again to resize!

There was no water aerobics so I slept until 9:30. Went to sit and stitch for an hour before trivia. At morning trivia we had 10 and the winning team had 13.

1)Who wrote “The Downing Street Years”?

2)Which is the most visited Greek Island?

3)Who is the Godmother of the Amsterdam?

4)What was the original route of the Orient Express?

5)Who was the first solo female host of the Academy Awards?

After trivia I decided to get my three days of pictures up on the blog so I did not got to lunch until about 1:15. Sat with Cyndi for arts and crafts. Today we made a tapa cloth island note card.

Sat by the Lido pool after arts and crafts. I decided the water in the pool was sloshing too much to be able to swim. I also found it very hard to be able to read without falling asleep.

For afternoon trivia we had 13 but two teams tied with a perfect 17.

1)In 1875, what was the first city to be illuminated by 80 electric lights?

2)Which country produces more silver than any other?

3)What is the fourth most populous country after China, India, and the US?

4)What crazy character wore a hat with the size on the outside?

5)What four countries border the Czech Republic?

We sat and talked for about an hour after trivia. The seas, which for most of the day had not been too bad, started getting a little rockier and people were not walking straight lines.

Listened to Jamm (pop hits tonight) and then to dinner. Cyndi and Ed went to the “Mystery Chef” dinner in the Pinnacle so there were only five of us. I had a crabmeat salad, the macaroni and cheese, and a butterscotch sundae for dessert.

I have been having problems with my beverage card scanning properly so I stopped by the Front Office to have it fixed before returning to my cabin. The show was two of the previous entertainers but I decided instead to finish my blog and get to bed early.

Morning trivia…

1)Margaret Thatcher

2)Santorini

3)Janet Lanterman

4)Paris to Istanbul

5)Whoopi Goldberg

Afternoon trivia…

1)Paris

2)Mexico

3)Indonesia

4)the Mad Hatter

5)Germany, Poland, Austria, and Slovakia

In Auckland, where I'm at right now, waiting for the Amsterdam to arrive so I can board her Friday, the triple moon begins tonight, January 31. It's supposed to be quite windy today so we're hopeful that will keep the skies clear enough to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Niue, a port we couldn't get into on our Tales of the South Pacific - now I feel more like I've been there, not just to look at the tender pier from the ship! I appreciate all your efforts to share with us. Safe sailing to you all. m--

In Auckland, where I'm at right now, waiting for the Amsterdam to arrive so I can board her Friday, the triple moon begins tonight, January 31. It's supposed to be quite windy today so we're hopeful that will keep the skies clear enough to see it.

Enjoy your segment Sherita!

At Sea – January 7, 2018

Instead of having a “morning program” on TV as I have seen on many previous cruises, on sea days there is a “Coffee with Hamish” (the cruise director). The coffee takes place in the Explorer’s Lounge and the two that have taken place so far have been packed. He will usually have a guest. Today the members of Abba Fab were the guests. They talked about how they got started and the various shows they do. They also mentioned that they have now been together longer than Abba was.

After the coffee I headed to the Crow’s Nest for our Sit and Stitch get together. There were about 10 present. I had to leave just before 11 because my travel agency was having the first of their sea day get togethers. The three hosts have “office hours” where you can ask questions, get help, etc.

The only trivia for the day was held at 11:45. I played with my usual four teammates. Trivia is getting harder and this time we only had 10 out of 15. The winners had 13.

1) What Latvian city is known as “the Paris of the Baltic”?

2) How many copies of an album need to be sold to be declared gold?

3) Who is the only person to win a Pulitzer Prize for movie commentary?

4) Which two planets in our solar system are known as the “ice giants”?

Today was the first Sunday Brunch. On previous Grand Voyages there have been Sunday Buffets. Because of health regulations, many of the buffets of the past are no longer. According to the maître ‘d, this brunch is something that began on the Amsterdam only a few months ago. It is planned to be held every Sunday that is a sea day. The menu will change each time.

During the noon announcements the captain mentioned that the temperature was 81. I decided to spend some time out in the sun (it’s been a couple of weeks since I have experienced sun and warmth at the same time!) so I went up by the Sea View pool. It felt wonderful so I decided after arts and crafts I would go swimming.

Nancy Grace and her friend (who’s name I cannot remember) are in charge. Nancy has a huge list of activities for our sea days. The two meetings so far have been much more popular than expected. She mentioned today that she had put together 100 kits for each activity which is twice what HAL suggested. Today there were a few people who came late and all the kits were gone. It did not take long to put together the zippered purse/keycard lanyard (Nancy had already sewn together the bags). We were also given a small pen to put in the bag. About 60 more projects to do over the course of the cruise.

By three I was back in my cabin changing to go to the pool. I decided to try the Lido pool (the one that has a retractable roof which today was open). There were very few people around and I swam for a half hour. I then sat in the sun (and will admit I nodded off a few times) for about 45 minutes.

The reason there was no trivia tonight is because it was the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Reception. It is also our first Gala Night – the Black and Gold Dinner. For those unfamiliar with HAL, within the last two years they changed Formal Nights to Gala Nights. The dress code is not as stringent for Gala Nights. I had read in blogs from previous years that people still tend to dress more formally on the world cruise and it certainly looked like that to me.

During the reception there were (free) drinks and appetizers, the band played and some people danced. Then Captain Mercer came out and introduced the senior officers.

As soon as that was over it was time to head for dinner where all the chairs were covered in black or gold and the napkins were also black or gold. We had a surprise visitor at the table – Mario, the Second Engineer from Croatia, hosted out table. We all had a good time and invited him to join us again (he is on until Singapore).

Went to see the stand-up comic who I only considered so-so. When I returned to my cabin there was another “pillow gift”. I also got the correct messenger bag from the other day.

Trivia answers…

1) Riga

2) 500,000

3) Roger Ebert

4) Uranus and Neptune

Arts and Crafts instructor,Nancy Grace (and her assistant Mary) are such terrific leaders. You are blessed to have them on your cruise! The amount of preparatory work NANCY does before each cruise is mind-boggling. She was our leader on the Grand Med. in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Mad Hatter does not wear the size on the outside of his hat. He wears the price. The tag says "In this style 10/6", in other words ten shillings and sixpence.

It is a pleasure having your comments to read every evening, and not just the trivia!

If it isn’t too nosey a question, I’m always curious when folks say they are reading a new book. Could you tell us? I’m enjoying your posts a lot, and read them as soon as they are mailed to me.

No deep reading. I like cozy mysteries where there may be some murder but not grisly (along the lines of Agatha Christie).

The first two books I read onboard were by Hans Mateboer who was a captain on HAL for many years. Great stories about his years at sea.

The skies have cleared a great deal over the day today so I a hoping to see some of the moon tonight.

See you Friday, Sherita!

Sadly, we've got quite a bit of cloud cover this evening even with it being very windy. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for seeing the moon rise. [emoji22][emoji22]. I always seem to be on another continent when there's an historical lunar or solar activity.

At Sea – January 31, 2018

Although there was a water aerobics class this morning at 9, I wanted to see “Coffee with Hamish”. The guests this morning were the members of “The Knights” who told about their background in music and how they started The Knights.

Stopped in the Lido and had a donut (first one I had on board and they are pretty good) and a glass of orange juice before heading to Sit and Stitch. We only had a handful present this morning.

Morning trivia saw us coming in second place with 11 correct and the winning team had 12.

1)What are the only nuts mentioned in the Bible?

2)What country is the largest exporter of rice?

3)What sport did Althea Gibson take up when her tennis career ended?

4)Which European capital is known as the Venice of the North?

5)Which sea gives Iran its northern border?

Worked on the blog for awhile before heading to lunch. I ate at the Taco Bar and sat by the pool. The cover was still on but the sky was clearing up.

We made a mother-of-pearl necklace which required more jewelry making skills than any of our other projects.

Sat by the pool and had my afternoon ice cream while reading. The water was still sloshing around too much for me to swim. Hopefully, tomorrow I can finally get back in the pool because the seas are supposed to calm down tonight.

We had 13 out of 17 for afternoon trivia. Three teams tied with 15.

1)”The Great Gatsby” was written by which author?

2)Dolphins are believed to not possess which of the five senses?

3)Lake Tahoe straddles the border of which two states?

4)How many Super Bowl rings did Troy Aikman win?

5)What is the last book of the Old Testament in the Christian Bible?

This was another Gala Night with the theme “Bowlers and Bumper Shoots” although I think they really meant “Bumbershoots”. I always thought bumbershoot was a British term but when I looked it up today I found it is actually an old Americanism. Who knew???

I listened to part of Jamm’s program (it was hits of Judy Garland) and then on to dinner. The dining room was festively decorated with umbrellas, gold and silver hats and chair covers. I had the crabmeat cocktail, surf and turf, and a crumble for dessert.

Went to the show which was the singers and dancers performing. When I returned to my cabin there was another “Grand Gift”. This one was actually very useful – a universal adapter. Funny thing was, I heard someone in the shop today asking if they had them for sale.

Before I go to bed tonight I am going to go out on my deck and see if I can see any of the eclipse/blue moon.

Another sea day tomorrow – our last before getting to Auckland.

Morning trivia…

1)almonds and pistachios

2)China

3)golf

4)Stockholm

5)Caspian Sea

Afternoon trivia…

1)F. Scott Fitzgerald

2)smell

3)California and Nevada

4)3

5)Malachi

Is there a "murder mystery" dinner in the making in the PG? It's sorta kinda been a Amsterdam Grand World Voyage tradition. Pretty funny also!

There isn't one on the schedule. I heard a story from someone that there was one a year or two ago where some of the cast got inebriated and chaos ensued. No idea whether this story is true or not.

No deep reading. I like cozy mysteries where there may be some murder but not grisly (along the lines of Agatha Christie).

The first two books I read onboard were by Hans Mateboer who was a captain on HAL for many years. Great stories about his years at sea.

When he was captain of the Volendam a number of years ago, we bought his book "The Captain's Log" -- loved it.

There isn't one on the schedule. I heard a story from someone that there was one a year or two ago where some of the cast got inebriated and chaos ensued. No idea whether this story is true or not.

I am surprised, they had at least two last year on the WC in the Pinnacle.

There's been one (actually multiple times per voyage to give more pax exposure to it) every year Gene Young was CD without any issues. The cast are part of the "role players" with each sitting at a table with pax

Hey Kathi, question about your cabin. You're above the showroom aren't you? Do you hear the noise when the shows are on in the evening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can hear noise and sometimes can pick up a tune. Since I am a night owl it does not bother me. Usually, however, I am not in my cabin.

At Sea – February 1, 2018

I went out on my deck just after midnight and the sky was clear so I had a good look at the moon. Unfortunately, the eclipse was not until somewhere around 4:00 a.m. so I missed that but the moon on the ocean was beautiful.

Since I had not been swimming in two days, I was up early and in the pool by 8:40. The seas are much calmer so the pool was as well. Amanda (our instructor) cancelled yesterday’s water aerobics because of the rough seas. Class was 9-9:30 so I stayed in after to get my hour in. The water was very chilly this morning but with warmer temperatures and clear skies it will likely feel like bath water by this afternoon.

Picked up a muffin and juice to take back to my cabin while getting ready for Sit and Stitch. Once again there were only a handful of people. I think a number of us will be visiting the one yarn shop that is still open near the pier.

Morning trivia started out very easy but we still came in one behind the winning team with a total of 11.

1)What animal is on the current New Zealand coat of arms?

2)Which musical made history by landing a helicopter on the stage?

3)Which sitcom had a record 117 Emmy nominations?

4)What was the character’s name before he became the Lone Ranger in the 1981 “The Legend of the Lone Ranger”?

5)What 3-letter word is Yiddish for smoked salmon?

Had lunch in the Lido about 1 pm. I had the Chicken Cubana which was very good last time but I got the last piece in the pan and it was on the dry side today.

We made a New Zealand Paua shell pair of earrings and a card in arts and crafts. Afterwards I sat in the sun and read for about an hour until it became too hot.

Afternoon trivia had some special guests. The Knights and members of the singers and dancers joined in as the trivia had a theme – Dance. We had 14 out of 18 while the winning team had 16.

1)What dance performance surface, used in studios, is made out of sheet vinyl?

2)Paso Doble (sp?) is associated with what?

3)In which country did the Tango originate?

4)What famous dance is performed by the New Zealand All Black Rugby team?

5)Lindy Hop, Jive, and Jitterbug are types of which dance style?

Lost a few dollars in the slot machines before coming back to my cabin to work on the blog and get ready for dinner.

Jamm had one of the Amsterdam singers, David, sing a few songs during his request hour. For dinner I had fruit, a salad, Beef Wellington, and for dessert, Baked Alaska – something that I have not seen on the menu before.

The evening show was a good variety show with Hyperion Knight, a piano virtuoso, and Gary Arbuthnot, a flautist.

Tomorrow we are in Auckland.

Morning trivia…

1)sheep

2)Miss Saigon

3)Cheers

4)John Reid

5)lox

Afternoon trivia…

1)Marley floor (“The Knights” were the only ones who knew the answer)

2)bullfighting

3)Argentina

4)Haka

5)Swing