HAL Alaska port excursion alternatives

DeeAndKevB

HI

First time cruiser here! I like to obsess over matters that are 6 months away, so I have been reading up on the ship's excursions at each port. I know this might be a once in a lifetime experience, but somehow spending $500 or more pp for a once in a lifetime experience seems nuts. And I am panicking over the possibility of being crammed on a bus with 1,900 other tourists. OK, maybe just crammed on a bus with 200 other tourists. Being a tourist myself, I know how annoying I can be. ;)

I have no problem splurging on 1 or 2 excursions, ziplining and float plane perhaps.

Can anyone tell me if they've been on the cruise that stops at Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Denali...Have you found trustworthy local , less crowded tours?

Which excursions booked through HAL are worth the bucks? Which aren't?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Since it's 8 degress here in upstate NY, perhaps I should not concentrate on Alaska right now, and think about our Florida trip in February?:confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to the world of cruising.

There are alternatives and lots you can do in the ports.

I would also post this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board to get input on private tours or other things you can do on your own.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

If you have specific things you would like to do during your Cruise (for example Whale Watching) be sure to mention things that would be of interest. That will be helpful in getting recommendations.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic...

First of all, its not a matter of money. Secondly, if you can book an Alaska cruise for $500 pp your are doing pretty good. Unfortunately, Alaska excursions are pretty pricey so you'll be racking up some significant frequent flyer points with your plastic.

Somebody on this forum will undoubtedly re-direct you to the port forums and/or roll calls to answer your questions about excursions, and they will might make you feel real small because they may have 183,000 posts, 5-stars, 6 medallions, a gif image of a big ship in their signature, claim to be a charter member and have a personal demeanor like Nurse Ratchett. Don't let that discourage you, we are really nice people here.

Truthfully, it just takes some research to find your best excursion options and there will be some local alternatives. It's a good idea to properly gauge your 'survival rating' before choosing an excursion, as some of them can be physically challenging.

Its quite possibly that it will be a 'once in a lifetime adventure' (especially if you encounter a bear on the trail, we almost did) and you should make the most of it.

Have fun with your research , being 6 months out you will have plenty of time to start growing that Jerimiah Johnson beard.

Edited by JRG
just like to edit

I took the HAL excursion in Skagway and it was one of the best excursions I have ever had. I did the version that took a bus up to the Yukon (the driver/guide was excellent) and we stopped four or five places along the way for photos. We went to Caribou Crossing for lunch and to see the sled dogs (got to hold a two week old puppy:hearteyes:). Came back by way of Carcross and at Fraser, B.C. boarded the White Pass and Yukon Railway for the trip back to Skagway.

The excursion was called,

"White Pass Rail and Yukon Expedition". And, IIRC, was about $200. A pricey day but was one of the few excursions I have taken where I felt I truly got my money's worth.

There were other similar excursions with a few different details.

HI

First time cruiser here! I like to obsess over matters that are 6 months away, so I have been reading up on the ship's excursions at each port. I know this might be a once in a lifetime experience, but somehow spending $500 or more pp for a once in a lifetime experience seems nuts. And I am panicking over the possibility of being crammed on a bus with 1,900 other tourists. OK, maybe just crammed on a bus with 200 other tourists. Being a tourist myself, I know how annoying I can be. ;)

I have no problem splurging on 1 or 2 excursions, ziplining and float plane perhaps.

Can anyone tell me if they've been on the cruise that stops at Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Denali...Have you found trustworthy local , less crowded tours?

Which excursions booked through HAL are worth the bucks? Which aren't?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Since it's 8 degress here in upstate NY, perhaps I should not concentrate on Alaska right now, and think about our Florida trip in February?:confused:

Have been to Alaska 3 times and have never done a ship excursion there or anywhere. Type the name of the port into TripAdvisor or CruiseCritic search and you will find LOTS of private excursions at a much lower cost. We generally do "taxi" type of excursions for the three of us that travel together... way better because you can specify exactly what you like to do. Our favorites of all time were Harv & Marv's Whale Watching in Juneau and Ketchikan Taxicab Tours in Ketchikan. In Skagway you can easily walk around town, but the train ride up the mountain and van ride back was great. Can't remember who we booked that thru, but it was definitely cheaper than thru the cruise line.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to the world of cruising.

There are alternatives and lots you can do in the ports.

I would also post this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board to get input on private tours or other things you can do on your own.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

If you have specific things you would like to do during your Cruise (for example Whale Watching) be sure to mention things that would be of interest. That will be helpful in getting recommendations.

Keith

OP this is EXCELLENT advice (y) The Alaska forum has really good current info on arranging private tours. Don't expect to save a lot of money. Usually the biggest advantage is smaller groups, more personal attention.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I noticed that you mentioned Denali. Are you doing a land tour and a cruise?

Definitely agree about a train ride in Skagway. It have done different versions of it. All train up and down. Train up and bus back down. Bus up and train back down.

Juneau -- you can go out to Mendenhal Glacier on your own -- Blue Bus. Stay as long as like -- walk as many trails as you like. But you might want to book a whale watching tour here -- we have used Orka Enterprises. Others can give you other names.

Ketchikan -- lots of vendors. Places to see: Saxman Village, Totem Bight. You can walk to Creek Street totem polls along to see. Shops there. You are too early to see the running of the salmon up the creek there.

We have found while planning for our upcoming Alaska cruise that it is one of the few (in my limited experiences) regions where there is very little if any price difference between private and ship tours. We still opted for private bookings as we prefer a smaller group. Especially with the high prices of these tours it is important to us to have smaller groups and the better tour experience that comes with that.

Our first cruise was Alaska, 20 years ago. It was also the last time we used a ship's tour!

The Alaska board is a treasure trove of info. I read it extensively before I planned anything. Read back ten or twenty pages.

We’ve been to Alaska many times and love it so much. We’ve taken many private tours, as well as trains ferry, flightseeing, car rentals all booked on our own.

I suspect you are on a cruise tour including Denali, most come with some included activities. Read your documents for info on the land portion of your trip.

You will love this vacation.

Thanks for the reply! Yes indeed, this is a treasure trove. I've been couchbound all day reading everything!

The cruise tour DOES come with planned activities, which look fabulous. I was also hoping to get off the beaten path a little, and escape the crowds. I've already bookmarked several web sites of tour companies that another reader had sent me. I think I should be awash in ideas by the time cruise time arrives.....in 145 days!

My favorite private tour is in Skagway with ******************. Dave is semi retired and doesn’t drive every day but family members fill in and get raves. We’ve been to Emerald Lake with Dave four times and we are never bored. We’ve also ferried to Haines for DIY bear viewing with a rental car. Only do this if you are there when the salmon are running.

In Ketchikan there is a visitor center dockside and a couple dozen local operators have booths. Same day booking. This past summer we talked to a few and one company had a van waiting and off we went.

In Juneau whale watching is popular and you’ve been given a couple names of great tour operators. You can also book same day flightseeing right on the dock, you can judge the weather. You can also take a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier for a DIY viewing, the price is fifteen or twenty bucks, book dockside. This is a terrific outing if you enjoy hiking. Shuttles run all day.

Edited to say my web site reference was deleted. Google Dyea Dave.

Thanks for replying!

Have you done any kayaking or zip lining?

We’re going may 27- June 7. As long as it doesn’t rain, I don’t care.

No, Alaskan waters are too cold for us but people kayak at Mendenhall lake.

Ziplined once in Costa Rica, never again.

It rains frequently in Alaska. It is still beautiful. Take layered waterproof clothing.

We did the kayaking in Juneau at Mendenhall Lake. It was beautiful! We were there in September and it was a sunny 65 (ish) degree day. We had fantastic weather that visit! The guide made sure to tell us how quickly hypothermia would set in if we tipped over into the frigid water.

I will mention some of my favorite Alaska excursions.

Denali: Flight See With Glacier Landing

PS, you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour, not the History tour. No comparison Hopefully you have 2 full days to enjoy Denali.

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge Flight See and Salmon Bake Feast

Look into the coupon books "Northern Lights" and "Tour Saver". You may be able to get more ideas and save some money. Also understand that some of the savings that you read about in big print is taken away by the small print ie "only one coupon per trip or not good on certain day".

Important to check on the billing and refund policies in case of weather cancelations. Have your ideas and reservations in place well before 145 day as many of the great tours will fill up. Have back up plan for weather related issues especially if flight seeing is involved. If you have any input try to stay at Denali as long as you can. Only 30% of people see it because of clouds so more time there increases your odds.

I will mention some of my favorite Alaska excursions.

Denali: Flight See With Glacier Landing

PS, you want the Tundra Wilderness Tour, not the History tour. No comparison Hopefully you have 2 full days to enjoy Denali.

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge Flight See and Salmon Bake Feast

Absolutely agree with avoiding the natural history tour, tundra wilderness is the one. If your package comes with the natural history tour trade it in through your travel agent.

Edited by sammiedawg

I really need to get involved with a travel avant-?? I didn’t think this would be so much work !😜

I noticed that 2 tours were already filled up! Can a travel agent help

Me with tours that are independent of the cruises?

Thanks for all your advice!