Random Question about performers

rucingok

Just got off a cruise on the Indy. Entertainment was great, but it got me thinking. Do the RC performers have day jobs? IE do Rizzo. ice skaters... work somewhere else during the day?

How do the headliner acts get around? I assume they have a schedule where they go from ship to ship on port days? Does anyone know how that works? Do they get a nice cabin? Are they allowed to go to pool , eat in MDR, hang out as guests during down time...?

Just curious

No, I don't think the performers have a "day job." Except for the dancers and band, the other performers move around the fleet. They'll join the ship at a port stop, then leave at another port stop. You'll see this often when you get into port and you see a guy with luggage leaving or coming. The headline show performers are in regular cabins. Probably not the Royal Suite though. The ships performers are in crew cabins. Yes, the guest performers are allowed to go to the pool. You'll see them around the ship often. Other performers are allowed around the ship too. We have seen some of the dancers in specialty restaurants occasionally. Not sure if they're allowed to lie around the pool. I believe the guest performers can eat in the MDR. I think the ships performers eat with the crew. Ships performers are "ships company."

Now, everything I have said is from my observations. So it may be completely incorrect. But I believe it's how it's done.

Just got off a cruise on the Indy. Entertainment was great, but it got me thinking. Do the RC performers have day jobs? IE do Rizzo. ice skaters... work somewhere else during the day?

How do the headliner acts get around? I assume they have a schedule where they go from ship to ship on port days? Does anyone know how that works? Do they get a nice cabin? Are they allowed to go to pool , eat in MDR, hang out as guests during down time...?

Just curious

Many of the entertainers will perform in more than 1 show. They will ask help with the muster drill bit by day job if you mean cleaning dishes or doing laundry then the answer is no.

Headliners can go from ship to ship and we have seen them switch at different ports but sometimes they are on board for a couple of weeks at a time. Headliners have all the same privileges as paying guests.

On some lines, performers do have other duties when they are not performing. Not all cruise lines do this, however. On Carnival, the performers don't have other duties. However ALL ship employees must know what to do in an emergency, and do have assignments in the event of an emergency.

I attended one of the meet the performer type things on Oasis last year and asked the same question. Was told that besides the muster type duties it is the performers choice if they wish to do more jobs.

One of the divers at that time said he like working other jobs or the days got long and boring. They get paid extra when they do the other dutues too. He actually helped with the lighting on the ice shows. Some dancers helped with the art auctions on another cruise we were on. I recognized them and asked.

Back to the Oasis they said if you are a regular performer you share a cabin. If you were a head/lead performer you got your own room. Like the diver was telling us each act sort of had a boss/lead.

Thanks...just curious. The ice skaters and dancers only have shows 6-8 hours per week, I wondered what they did. I thought one of the guys from Grease looks like our muster drill attendant. It makes sense that the performers would help out behind the scenes in shows they are not in.

Thanks...just curious. The ice skaters and dancers only have shows 6-8 hours per week, I wondered what they did. I thought one of the guys from Grease looks like our muster drill attendant. It makes sense that the performers would help out behind the scenes in shows they are not in.

I think the ice skaters are training/reheasing at off times too.

I have met dancers working in the NextCruise shop selling cruises, he said they make extra money for that. They do have some other tasks that they perform. They also help maintain the costumes and prepare stuff for each show they usually do dress rehersals of every show too.

Brian J

I think the ice skaters are training/reheasing at off times too.

On ships with public ice skating, the performers run those sessions.

The RCI performers were marshalling passengers at muster too.

I understand that performers were allowed to eat in windjammers as long as they were in uniform as I observed one of the dancers there regularly.

... I understand that performers were allowed to eat in windjammers as long as they were in uniform as I observed one of the dancers there regularly.

Yes, they can use other guest facilities too, such as the fitness center.

The headliners are in whatever room they can negotiate for their contract. Sometimes one will

leave and the next one will come and take over the same room mid cruise. But they are not in the

upper suites as the cruise line wants those rooms for paying passengers.

On ships with public ice skating, the performers run those sessions.

The RCI performers were marshalling passengers at muster too.

I understand that performers were allowed to eat in windjammers as long as they were in uniform as I observed one of the dancers there regularly.

We had breakfast in the mdr with a couple of skaters while on Freedom a few years ago. It was kind of neat as one of the skaters was from a town not too far from where we live.

On one of our cruises staff were serving in WJ due to outbreak on previous cruise. I recognised one of the servers as the pianist from the ship orchestra.

As others have said the entertainers have duties with muster etc, and some of them do work for the art auction company for extra money.

We have often spoken with singers/dancers and guest entertainers in WJ & in the bars. They must wear the name badge & be in uniform in public areas.

They all have practice sessions on many days also.

The multitudes of roles on a ship come with one distinct separation... those WITH passenger privileges and those WITHOUT. Officers and headliner entertainers have free reign of the ship. Crew are permitted to walk through pax areas only when going to and from their area of work.

I usually do traditional dining and a couple at my table were the parents of one of the ice skaters. Their second cruise and they were excited to see their daughter. They gave us lots of information. She had skated since a little girl and had made the national championships, but just outside of the Olympic elite and top ten skaters. She wanted to continue skating and this was her chance.

The skater joined us in the MDR for dinner on the nights there was no performance. She told us they performed, practiced, helped with public skating. They were also assigned muster drill/emergency duties. She said she picked up extra money by being on the babysitting list for in cabin sitting. They send two sitters and she and her roommate, also a skater, did this together. They shared a cabin in crew quarters and were allowed to use ship's facilities. Someone asked her if they could drink alcohol and she said not in public areas, but could in crew quarters at crew parties; however said few skaters did. She said just like divers they are athletes and follow a pretty strict diet and exercise schedule.