Verizon Wireless On Anthem

E&D2004

Hi:

I will be on Anthem and will be getting a one device VOOM package which I am going to use with my tablet (WiFi only). My cell carrier is Verizon and I would like to check on voicemail once a day as well. Can that be done on board without buying a second package or will I only be able to retrieve voicemail messages on port days? Thanks

I believe checking your voicemail would involve making a phone call....pretty expensive roaming fee, unless you have some way to do it over the internet....

I can check my land line voice mail over the internet, but not sure if I can check my cell phone voice mail that way....

Check to see if your phone supports wifi calling. If it does, set it up on your phone before you leave.

Once on the Anthem turn off the cell service on your phone. (I turned on airplane mode and then turned wifi back on). Sign into the Anthem wifi and you will then have internet access and can make calls including voicemail.

I can't remember the rules for calls to non US numbers, so you might want to check that.

We only had the one device plan, so my wife and I took turns with our phones. Way cheaper than Verizon at Sea.

... I can't remember the rules for calls to non US numbers, so you might want to check that. ...

With WiFi calling, charges to non-US numbers are the same as if calling via cellular from the US.

Edited by Host Clarea

If you have a one device plan, is it actually limited to one device or can you switch back and forth between 2 devices so long as both are not using the WiFi at the same time?

Any number of difference devices, but only one logged in at a time.

If you have a one device plan, is it actually limited to one device or can you switch back and forth between 2 devices so long as both are not using the WiFi at the same time?

If you have an iPhone, don't be surprised to see iMessage texts come through without connecting to the Internet.

If you have an iPhone, don't be surprised to see iMessage texts come through without connecting to the Internet.

Will be sailing on the Anthem as well. Is this reliable?

I was only going to buy the Voom pkg in order to text back home. If my iPhone will definitely work without the WiFi pkg., then I won't buy it.

Just want to be sure though :)

There are no certainties, but many have reported that this feature (iMessage going through on ships with Royal IQ without a VOOM package) works.

I have read similar in other threads....it seems like they worked at one time, but when the company's IT department caught on, they somehow closed that "loophole"....could still work on some ships, perhaps....

I have read similar in other threads....it seems like they worked at one time, but when the company's IT department caught on, they somehow closed that "loophole"....could still work on some ships, perhaps....

Someone reported that the Royal IQ app texting option uses the same technology as iMessage and the loophole can't be closed, otherwise Royal IQ texting would also stop working.

Hmm, I may just wait until I'm on the ship to see if the texting (iMessage) works. If not, I can always buy the basic Voom package onboard. Thanks for the info!

We have sailed Anthem three times, with the most recent sailing being in November. We have been able to text people not on the ship, using iMessage, and were not charged by Verizon. We make sure we have our phones in airplane mode and have wifi on.

As long as nothing has changed since November, you should be able to do the same thing.

We have sailed Anthem three times, with the most recent sailing being in November. We have been able to text people not on the ship, using iMessage, and were not charged by Verizon. We make sure we have our phones in airplane mode and have wifi on.

As long as nothing has changed since November, you should be able to do the same thing.

Thanks for providing that info. Did this include pictures too? I assume all iMessage content. I'm going on Anthem in February :)

Thanks for providing that info. Did this include pictures too? I assume all iMessage content. I'm going on Anthem in February :)

People have reported no problem with iMessage photos.

Just off the anthem on 12/30. Was able to text both to others on the ship as well as friends and family at home using iMessage. Please note this only works for the iPhone. Regular texting will not work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums