Plane cannot get out of New York, NY

Most airlines are waiving change fees!

Your return flight on JB should not be cancelled unless you cancel it. Each way is a separate item on JB. Good luck....let us know what happens.

That’s how it’s been on all my JB flights. Seems lots are chiming in, without knowing how JB tickets flights.

What a terrible situation to be in -- my heart goes out to you! If it ends up you can't get into San Juan in time for your ship's departure, maybe you could fly to the first cruise port instead. I have read several trip reports where a family member missed the ship departure in Miami, and met the ship at the 1st port stop instead -- Cozumel, St Thomas, whatever. Just a thought.

Except for St Thomas they would need passports to do that, and if the cruise is a closed loop they don’t necessarily have those.

To the OP, if you have passports, there are flights from Tijuana and Ensenada on Aeromexico to San Juan. Less then a 3 hour drive from Lax..

Great idea! Hope they have passports.

That’s how it’s been on all my JB flights. Seems lots are chiming in, without knowing how JB tickets flights.

I stand corrected (maybe). My point refers more specifically to RT travel with a single ticket number and fare based on completing that RT itinerary.

For example, while Star Alliance partners may allow you to build an itinerary from individual segments (with individual prices), once the single RT e-ticket is issued, those flights are tied together.

From JB's website, it looks like single segments can be altered- often without charge.

But, maybe a JB FF could weigh in on whether, once a RT ticket is issued, will an outbound "no show" trigger cancellation of the return (regardless of cost/no cost issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly how our JB flights were handled in September. They cancelled the flight to FLL, but we had to cancel the return flight. We ended up keeping the return, but they specifically told me each leg is a separate booking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is exactly how our JB flights were handled in September. They cancelled the flight to FLL, but we had to cancel the return flight. We ended up keeping the return, but they specifically told me each leg is a separate booking.

Thanks for clarifying.

Go Buckeyes!

We are in the same situation. Our American Airlines flight to Miami was cancelled yesterday due to the snowstorm. We were supposed to get on the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami yesterday. That didn't happen. So we are doing one of the alternate flights that American Airlines suggested on Monday. We are flying to Miami, and then taking a flight to Curacao (via Santo Domingo) to catch the ship. We booked a hotel in Curacao overnight so we'd be at the pier to meet the ship at 9:30. Our travel agent and Royal Caribbean Guest Services made sure we'd get onto the ship. Hope this is all seamless, that's all I can wish for.

After all, half a cruise is better than none at all, right? This was a 9-night cruise -- we will be missing Labadee and sea days, but we'll still get to enjoy Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba and 2 sea days.

When life gives you lemons, take half a cruise!

:confused:

OP is flying out of LAX to JFK, changing plane in NY and then flying into San Juan. Getting into and out of JFK is the problem.

Driving "West" from LA is going to cause a whole new set of problems

Sorry, missed that part, maybe driving East, would be better, then? Has to be some airline that can get him to SJ from some airport I would think.

The problem isn't getting a flight out from the west coast, be in LAX, SAN or wherever. The problem is connecting at JFK. Best the OP can do is keeping trying to get a flight to some other hub city not impacted by the storm. They could be looking at UA flights connecting at DEN, IAH, or ORD; DL flights connecting in DTW, MSP, SLC or ATL, etc. AA probably not the best option as I think both CLT and PHL were hit. Probably assorted possibilities on Southwest as well. I know there was mention of all other such possibilities being completely booked.... probably lots of people trying to get to south Florida for cruises that have had their flights impacted, so I'd look beyond flying into FLL, which I think was the original destination. MIA and PBI would be the next most convenient airports, but I'd also be looking at MCO, TPA, RSW etc. and then renting a car from there.

The problem isn't getting a flight out from the west coast, be in LAX, SAN or wherever. The problem is connecting at JFK. Best the OP can do is keeping trying to get a flight to some other hub city not impacted by the storm. They could be looking at UA flights connecting at DEN, IAH, or ORD; DL flights connecting in DTW, MSP, SLC or ATL, etc. AA probably not the best option as I think both CLT and PHL were hit. Probably assorted possibilities on Southwest as well. I know there was mention of all other such possibilities being completely booked.... probably lots of people trying to get to south Florida for cruises that have had their flights impacted, so I'd look beyond flying into FLL, which I think was the original destination. MIA and PBI would be the next most convenient airports, but I'd also be looking at MCO, TPA, RSW etc. and then renting a car from there.

Pretty sure driving to San Juan isn’t an option. The problem is that the entire domestic system was affected by the storm, not just east coast. Due to the hub system, cancellations have a ripple effect. Add in that many people are trying to return home from holiday vacations and the challenges only worsen.

We are in the same situation. Our American Airlines flight to Miami was cancelled yesterday due to the snowstorm. We were supposed to get on the Navigator of the Seas out of Miami yesterday. That didn't happen. So we are doing one of the alternate flights that American Airlines suggested on Monday. We are flying to Miami, and then taking a flight to Curacao (via Santo Domingo) to catch the ship. We booked a hotel in Curacao overnight so we'd be at the pier to meet the ship at 9:30. Our travel agent and Royal Caribbean Guest Services made sure we'd get onto the ship. Hope this is all seamless, that's all I can wish for.

After all, half a cruise is better than none at all, right? This was a 9-night cruise -- we will be missing Labadee and sea days, but we'll still get to enjoy Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba and 2 sea days.

When life gives you lemons, take half a cruise!

Glad you are managing to salvage something of the situation, good for you! Hope the rest goes seamlessly and you have a wonderful time. :)

There are headaches with each travel/cruise season so we all take our chances on delayed/cancelled flights and make the best of the situation. I hope OP was able to figure something out, since I work for AA I checked out our flight loads for yesterday and today and all the flights, out of any hub, were/are oversold. Our cruise out of SJU leaves in 29 days but since we both work for the airlines we made some reasonable plans in advance, we are scheduled to arrive in SJU by 1pm the day before sailing. The ship does not depart SJU until 1930 on the 4th so if something did happen, we would have well over 24 hours to scramble plans. We are also coming from the DC area so we have a lot of options. It's still nerving to see these weather travel posts even with the best of plans!! Good Luck winter cruisers!!

I guess the lesson learned here is don’t connect thru a city in the snow belt, in the winter, if you can avoid it. Specifically during the holidays, with most flights being full, it will takes days for the airlines to accommodate all the displaced travelers.

There are headaches with each travel/cruise season so we all take our chances on delayed/cancelled flights and make the best of the situation. I hope OP was able to figure something out, since I work for AA I checked out our flight loads for yesterday and today and all the flights, out of any hub, were/are oversold. Our cruise out of SJU leaves in 29 days but since we both work for the airlines we made some reasonable plans in advance, we are scheduled to arrive in SJU by 1pm the day before sailing. The ship does not depart SJU until 1930 on the 4th so if something did happen, we would have well over 24 hours to scramble plans. We are also coming from the DC area so we have a lot of options. It's still nerving to see these weather travel posts even with the best of plans!! Good Luck winter cruisers!!

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I retired (29 years) from a major carrier ( an Atlanta major airline) Believe me, while I was a current employee, flying NRSA was bad enough, I didn't know what TOUGH really was, till I retired and had to fly 'retired employee' standby:eek:. We took ONE cruise, right after I retired (2013), round trip from ATL/Mia and on the return to Atlanta we had to get a room for the night, NO non-revs were getting out of MIA that Sunday. Not sure how AA does it, but with my company a current full time employee w/a week on the job can 'bump' (get an empty seat) instead of someone like me. That was the LAST time we tried to fly retired standby for a cruise. My wife's not retired and has to be back for her job so that limits our options. We've been reduced to just driving,within reason, to cruise ports. I like having the ability flying gives, so I hope I don't sound like I'm a 'crybaby'. I'm just saying in my situation, my options are even more limited.

Mac

I guess the lesson learned here is don’t connect thru a city in the snow belt, in the winter, if you can avoid it. Specifically during the holidays, with most flights being full, it will takes days for the airlines to accommodate all the displaced travelers.

I had the same thought for a cruise out of San Juan last year ('16) in Dec. and purposely booked the connection through Houston, so as to avoid the snow belt...

Long story short: due to thunderstorms in Houston, we ended up being rerouted through Washington D.C...

So, in the end, it's all a crapshoot ;-)

T!

....we all take our chances on delayed/cancelled flights

No.

Some of us take "precautions" rather than "chances" by:

Flying in at least two days prior;

Doing non-stops (even if more expensive) if available;

Using only major hubs for any connections;

Always having 2.5-3.0 hour buffer layover for international connecting flights;

Having a list of alternate routes and carriers (for possible assignment);

Enabling email/text flight alerts from the air carrier;

Setting our air carrier and alternate "reservation" phone numbers as "speed dial" selections on cell phone.

Avoiding flights that originate from or pass through in-season, weather-prone regions.

Of course, one can still get delayed. But, minimizing the chances isn't exactly rocket science.

And most people who take all of those precautions did it after getting caught out, like the OP has this time. I highly doubt you have been doing all of that since your very first ever flight and have never found yourself in a situation where you wished you’d been more prepared/informed.

And most people who take all of those precautions did it after getting caught out, like the OP has this time. I highly doubt you have been doing all of that since your very first ever flight and have never found yourself in a situation where you wished you’d been more prepared/informed.

Actually have been doing it for many (at least 30) years and not because I ever got burned. Now retired, I used to fly internationally a lot for work and it was just SOP.

In fact, when I was a 1K FF with United, they'd often allow me to reserve a "next flight" (no charge) if my current transit was getting dicey due to weather or other delay. THOSE were the days!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just did a cruise out of San Juan in late November because Royal would not let us change. Flights were a PITA ,cruise was a nightmare from the get go ! Hope others have a better cruise . We wont be back any time soon!

Why were you trying to change? What was the reason that Royal Caribbean gave for not allowing a change?

Why were you trying to change? What was the reason that Royal Caribbean gave for not allowing a change?

Past Finale payment! Hurricane! Flights were a mess we had no choice but to lose all our money. Could not get a hotel!

In Hindsight we should have done that! Lost all our money!

This was supposed to be a huge surprise for my husband Mr Garcia who turned 70 in November...born and raised in Cayey thought it was a great idea ....yikes not! What a nightmare ...rude rude people who Royal comped after we paid full fare ...thanks to our balcony mates who were great!

Edited by Reader0108598

Even 2 or 3 days buffer would not solve the problem unless you throw some cash at it. Contingency funds are your biggest help in these situations. This week, I had a family member try to get out of NYC metro airports, cancelled three times, finally drove to BWI to fly out from there on a new ticket. One of those cancelled flights was rebooked for tomorrow night when, surprise surprise, we have more bad weather in the forecast.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I retired (29 years) from a major carrier ( an Atlanta major airline) Believe me, while I was a current employee, flying NRSA was bad enough, I didn't know what TOUGH really was, till I retired and had to fly 'retired employee' standby:eek:. We took ONE cruise, right after I retired (2013), round trip from ATL/Mia and on the return to Atlanta we had to get a room for the night, NO non-revs were getting out of MIA that Sunday. Not sure how AA does it, but with my company a current full time employee w/a week on the job can 'bump' (get an empty seat) instead of someone like me. That was the LAST time we tried to fly retired standby for a cruise. My wife's not retired and has to be back for her job so that limits our options. We've been reduced to just driving,within reason, to cruise ports. I like having the ability flying gives, so I hope I don't sound like I'm a 'crybaby'. I'm just saying in my situation, my options are even more limited.

Mac

I FEAR retirement for this very reason!! That and losing jump seat privilege's take our chances of getting on a flight down dramatically. This is the second port we are cruising out of that does not allow us to drive if it comes down to it so that is unnerving to me. I hope OP figured things out.

Just to note, we NEVER fly into port with less than 24 hours to last sailing check in (2 hours prior stateside) and have several back up plans just in case. Is it fool proof? Nope. Have we been burned? Nope. Can that change? Absolutely, even the best of plans can go badly. We just do what we can and make the best of whatever comes our way travel wise. Working in the industry for over 10 years has taught me many valuable lessons and flying in the winter has taught me the most by far.

Even 2 or 3 days buffer would not solve the problem unless you throw some cash at it. Contingency funds are your biggest help in these situations. This week, I had a family member try to get out of NYC metro airports, cancelled three times, finally drove to BWI to fly out from there on a new ticket. One of those cancelled flights was rebooked for tomorrow night when, surprise surprise, we have more bad weather in the forecast.

No like button but like!

Pretty sure driving to San Juan isn’t an option.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant get to MCO/TPA/RSW etc. and then drive to FLL or MIA for a flight to SJU from there. And I realize the impacts were far reaching, just trying to help think a little further outside the box.

I guess the lesson learned here is don’t connect thru a city in the snow belt, in the winter, if you can avoid it.

Even that won't keep you from getting burned. Ever watch what happens when ATL gets hit with an ice storm? The entire city gets paralyzed. Best advice is to accept that things may happen that you can't predict and can't change. Do your best to mitigate the risks but go into it knowing that sometimes things just don't work out like you planned.