Plane cannot get out of New York, NY

We are flying from Toronto to San Juan next Saturday morning through Miami on AA

I am a TA and I never book my customers on flight that transfer on the Eastern seaboard or Charleston Detroit and Chicago in the winter

Ontario Cruiser

I have a cruise out of San Juan booked for next year. I will definitely keep this in mind when booking my flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even that won't keep you from getting burned. Ever watch what happens when ATL gets hit with an ice storm? The entire city gets paralyzed. Best advice is to accept that things may happen that you can't predict and can't change. Do your best to mitigate the risks but go into it knowing that sometimes things just don't work out like you planned.

That’s true, but less chance of an ice storm in ATL, than a snow storm up north

Sent from my iPad using Forums

An airline with inerline agreements like Delta,American,United can protect you on other carriers if the agreement allows. You may not get the priority of say someone needing protection on the new carrier that is open for rebooking.

What you could do is ask for a refund for the one way and purchase new tickets but you would be responsible for extra costs. Also you need to be aware that the airline has no obligation to book you on a flight that meets your schedule even with negotiating you may be stranded whether at your originating airport or down the line.

If the OP can go to Mexico for a nonstop flight and you can salvage a cruise then fine. Perhaps AA still has the nonstop LAX-SJU flight or you can transfer via PHX etc.

Just did a cruise out of San Juan in late November because Royal would not let us change. Flights were a PITA ,cruise was a nightmare from the get go ! Hope others have a better cruise . We wont be back any time soon!

Wow, you’re the only one I’ve read who feels negative about the cruise once they actually took it.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant get to MCO/TPA/RSW etc. and then drive to FLL or MIA for a flight to SJU from there. And I realize the impacts were far reaching, just trying to help think a little further outside the box.

Even that won't keep you from getting burned. Ever watch what happens when ATL gets hit with an ice storm? The entire city gets paralyzed. Best advice is to accept that things may happen that you can't predict and can't change. Do your best to mitigate the risks but go into it knowing that sometimes things just don't work out like you planned.

Fwiw, I got what you meant about driving. :)

And I’d rather connect through ohare in the winter than Atlanta! At least ohare knows what to do and their flight personnel are likely to be able to drive to get to work. :)

I FEAR retirement for this very reason!! That and losing jump seat privilege's take our chances of getting on a flight down dramatically. This is the second port we are cruising out of that does not allow us to drive if it comes down to it so that is unnerving to me. I hope OP figured things out.

Just to note, we NEVER fly into port with less than 24 hours to last sailing check in (2 hours prior stateside) and have several back up plans just in case. Is it fool proof? Nope. Have we been burned? Nope. Can that change? Absolutely, even the best of plans can go badly. We just do what we can and make the best of whatever comes our way travel wise. Working in the industry for over 10 years has taught me many valuable lessons and flying in the winter has taught me the most by far.

We are parents of a mainline airline employee and know all too well the NRSA. routine. We fly at the same priority as retirees of this airline but the DOH will then make the difference for them. Like you, we have learned a lot in the almost 12 years that we have been flying standby. First with 2 regionals where are priority was really low and now with a mainline. Back up plans are part of our planning for sure because with mass cancellations as is the current situation, even holding a paid, confirmed seat isn’t much help. We have, on more than one occasion, found that flying standby was an asset in these situations as we had the ability to quickly relist and work around the cancellations. Have we ended up on some unusual routings? Absolutely but it comes with the territory!

I guess the lesson learned here is don’t connect thru a city in the snow belt, in the winter, if you can avoid it. Specifically during the holidays, with most flights being full, it will takes days for the airlines to accommodate all the displaced travelers.

Exactly! When I booked my flight from Denver to FLL several wanted to take me through JFK or BWI. I ended up booking direct on a red eye. Denver can be a risk as is this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly! When I booked my flight from Denver to FLL several wanted to take me through JFK or BWI. I ended up booking direct on a red eye. Denver can be a risk as is this time of year.

We flew to FLL on SWA the second week of December for a cruise, and specifically avoided Denver for layovers for that very reason. There was no snow in Denver, but It turned out to be freezing cold in Florida, anyway. :rolleyes:

And I will never forget the year that our friends from Massachusetts flew out to meet us in Las Vegas for a vacation in April. On their return flight, they ended up being stuck in Denver at the airport for almost 2 days! They had a horrible time trying to get home.

We flew to FLL on SWA the second week of December for a cruise, and specifically avoided Denver for layovers for that very reason. There was no snow in Denver, but It turned out to be freezing cold in Florida, anyway. :rolleyes:

And I will never forget the year that our friends from Massachusetts flew out to meet us in Las Vegas for a vacation in April. On their return flight, they ended up being stuck in Denver at the airport for almost 2 days! They had a horrible time trying to get home.

Denver is normally safe except for in March. That’s blizzard season.

Atlanta is notorious for having ice storms. As are multiple southern areas. It rarely gets the correct atmosphere to snow, but does for ice.

Many years ago Atlanta had really bad fog in January delaying flts and causing most cruise ships in Fla to wait 2 hrs. Even then we left more than 80 passengers short! Some were standing on the dock when we arrived in San Juan. So not always snow or ice.

I missed my grandmother's funeral because we got stuck in Detroit. There were no direct flights from Orlando to Providence or Boston left so we had to take a connecting flight and we ended up getting stuck in Detroit. My daughter and I had fun though, we made the most of it and got to experience -6 degree weather. Now I can cross off sub-zero temperatures off my bucket list ;)

An airline with inerline agreements like Delta,American,United can protect you on other carriers if the agreement allows.

Delta no longer interlines with AA, only with UA. And airlines have no obligation to rebook you on another airline when the cause of the delay/cancellation is something out of their control, like weather. Just something to keep in mind!

Everyone always talks about how northern airports are so much better equipped to deal with snow storms, and yet JFK has been all but paralyzed by winter storm Grayson. Zillions of flights in and out cancelled over a period of days, and now a water leak (probably a frozen pipe that burst but I didn't read the details) that has apparently flooded an entire terminal.

Denver is normally safe except for in March. That’s blizzard season.

The problem is that "normally" only provides so much protection. Yes, one way to mitigate risks is by looking at what's likely to happen based on history, but it's not a guarantee. Two years ago I flew out of DEN in early December and was severely delayed due to snow and ice. Planes would get de-iced, but by the time it was their turn to move, the ice would have built up again and then they'd have to wait, again, to be de-iced. Such a mess!

Atlanta is notorious for having ice storms. As are multiple southern areas. It rarely gets the correct atmosphere to snow, but does for ice.

Only maybe one every other year...not quite the catastrophe some make it out to be...good reason to leave before the last day...and also have insurance. Stuff happens everywhere...JFK just yesterday a huge problem...

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I retired (29 years) from a major carrier ( an Atlanta major airline) Believe me, while I was a current employee, flying NRSA was bad enough, I didn't know what TOUGH really was, till I retired and had to fly 'retired employee' standby:eek:. We took ONE cruise, right after I retired (2013), round trip from ATL/Mia and on the return to Atlanta we had to get a room for the night, NO non-revs were getting out of MIA that Sunday. Not sure how AA does it, but with my company a current full time employee w/a week on the job can 'bump' (get an empty seat) instead of someone like me. That was the LAST time we tried to fly retired standby for a cruise. My wife's not retired and has to be back for her job so that limits our options. We've been reduced to just driving,within reason, to cruise ports. I like having the ability flying gives, so I hope I don't sound like I'm a 'crybaby'. I'm just saying in my situation, my options are even more limited.

Mac

Yup! I retired after 28 years at the same non-descript Atlanta based airlines. As a pilot, I can tell you more than my share of "horror stories" that befell cruise bound passengers.

But I can tell you this Frequent Flyer miles... the ONLY way to go! S3B gets you a permanent seat in the gate area waiting for something..... anything.... anywhere to open up.

Yup! I retired after 28 years at the same non-descript Atlanta based airlines. As a pilot, I can tell you more than my share of "horror stories" that befell cruise bound passengers.

But I can tell you this Frequent Flyer miles... the ONLY way to go! S3B gets you a permanent seat in the gate area waiting for something..... anything.... anywhere to open up.

Ohhhhhhhhh GOODNESS Sir !! YOU, sat with the 'Higher up on the food chain' than I.! We lowly mortals used to marvel at either flight crew (Captain/1st officer) or attendants who could either 'fly jumpseat' OR agree to 'work with the cattle' (attendant) IF they could sit in the back, Because they HAD to be a the flight's destination. You, are completely right about the SB3 passes:eek: When I told all my friends about them, they were amazed !! And often quote I heard was, 'You mean too tell me that is ALL, that many years of dedicated service amounts too..?' I just shook my head, and told them, 'Well, what CAN one do ? :rolleyes: Accept it, and PLAN PLAN PLAN. I've NEVER received another request for a 'Buddy Pass' either, since I've retired..? Gosh, I wonder WHY ?? (Sarcasm, inserted HERE!!) LOLLLLLLLLLLL !!

Mac