BA news in NY

bones774

Wow! You people are ruthless. You were not there and have no idea how bad it was. I was not there either but it appears to have been very scary and unpleasant. If the captain could have avoided it he should have. They were lucky. If the ship had sunk at sea you all would be screaming that NCL was horrible to decide to try to ride the storm out.

So it's okay for you to post your opinion but not anyone else. Got it.

Here in NY, the local news channels are interviewing arriving passengers from the BA. Everyone complaining how it was the worst cruise of their lives, the Capt shouldn't have steered thru it, people sleeping all over the ship. Everyone looking for their big payday.

PS- they showed some pax videos, water streaming down interior staircase, it's amazing that it will be leaving as soon as tomorrow.

Not EVERYONE is complaining, only the ones the chose to air on tv. If they interviewed 100 people and 6 were negative and the rest not so do you think any of the 94 would get airtime? That does not get ratings.

Considering that all the trouble happened Wednesday night, well before being back in the northeast, I guess your comment is cocky and irrelevant.

All kidding aside, sure, it was cold when we docked in NY Friday PM, and cold the day before too. Wed PM was when the capn followed the storm and we rode severely tilted for 8 hours, rooms flooded, water pouring down walls and stairs, broken glass everywhere imaginable.

But yeah, 48 hours later, it is still cold and miserable in the northeast in January, but that has nothing to do with anything.

A 10% list is not severely tilted , rather dramatic no?

Wait. It was cold and miserable in the Northeast? In January? During a Nor’easter? This is news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Right! This is the Northeast! Better to plan a Cruise out of Florida in the winter. That is, if we can fly out when weather is dicey!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on this cruise, on a higher deck.

We didn't experience any of the sensational issues reported here.

Things were a little hairy, for sure. But will we be demanding a full refund? I'll let you guess.

I will say this though: going through rough seas for as long as we did (~ 2.5 days) will make anyone exhausted. People were feverishly combating the elements with a plethora of motion sickness remedies, which tend to add to the drowsy effect. It's hard work trying your best not to be sea sick and if you're scared on top of it .... When you're that tired (and scared), some things seem worse than they are. And I'm telling you, where I was the mood of the ship was somber, and people looked like they could use a good nap in peace. People were exhausted. That adds a lot to it, IMHO.

We were not part of the group who felt it safer to sleep in the Atrium. We didn't have any shattered glass or toilets. We had a little water seeping into the room from the bottom of our balcony door, but it was nothing a rolled up towel didn't fix. Sure the ship was listing, but we didn't fall out of bed, and even got some sleep in between securing things that were falling. (If you're in a spa suite, I'd recommend securing the salt container in the spa tub. That made for quite the ruckus; however, the glass container didn't break.)

We were also on one of the tenders back from the GSC evacuation. I have a different opinion on that than most, but I can understand being frightened if you were elderly, infirm, or otherwise had mobility issues. Or hate theme park rides ...

We wanted to be on the ship for NYE, and we were. We knew that the weather could be rough given our timing and location. And it was. Didn't stop us from buying two future cruise certs and filling out Vacation Hero cards for half a dozen staff and crew, particularly the poor guy who guarded a protein spill outside of Le Bistro until he could call in for supplies to clean it.

There were things NCL could improve upon, for sure (e.g., better and more communication from the Captain. We said it should've been a drinking game every time he said, "We are optimizing our speed and direction to insure minimum motion of the vessel." Like he was reading from a script. That quote is pretty much verbatim from memory.)

I could go on, but there are plenty of people reporting in. And bottom line, I'm fat, happy, and alive. And I'll have memories of this cruise forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

If anyone watches the weather they will see that this storm really came out of nowhere. I live in SC and last weekend there was no snow forecasted for the coast. Who would think Charleston, SC would get 5.3 inches of snow?

We have been in similar situations with another cruise line (Carnival). All other ships stayed back and we moved forward missing Freeport. A sub-tropical system formed out of nowhere. And we rode right in the middle of it. Yes it was the worse cruising experience ever but we survived and we still laugh about it. Carnival did nothing for us (no communication, no onboard credit for making us stay in our rooms, nothing). I still cruise and have a great time (storms or no storms). We didn't kick and scream asking for a refund. People were so sick and barf bags were all over the halls. Yes I was disappointed in Carnival in their handling of the situation but we moved on!

I think it goes with cruising. Storms are going to come up! We heard about it from RCCL ships last year. Now this year for NCL! From what I understand the captain did a a great job in the conditions! I think being on the BA would be a great ship to handle those kind of storms.

Edited by ShannonSC2
Correction of word

We were on this cruise, on a higher deck.

We didn't experience any of the sensational issues reported here.

Things were a little hairy, for sure. But will we be demanding a full refund? I'll let you guess.

I will say this though: going through rough seas for as long as we did (~ 2.5 days) will make anyone exhausted. People were feverishly combating the elements with a plethora of motion sickness remedies, which tend to add to the drowsy effect. It's hard work trying your best not to be sea sick and if you're scared on top of it .... When you're that tired (and scared), some things seem worse than they are. And I'm telling you, where I was the mood of the ship was somber, and people looked like they could use a good nap in peace. People were exhausted. That adds a lot to it, IMHO.

We were not part of the group who felt it safer to sleep in the Atrium. We didn't have any shattered glass or toilets. We had a little water seeping into the room from the bottom of our balcony door, but it was nothing a rolled up towel didn't fix. Sure the ship was listing, but we didn't fall out of bed, and even got some sleep in between securing things that were falling. (If you're in a spa suite, I'd recommend securing the salt container in the spa tub. That made for quite the ruckus; however, the glass container didn't break.)

We were also on one of the tenders back from the GSC evacuation. I have a different opinion on that than most, but I can understand being frightened if you were elderly, infirm, or otherwise had mobility issues. Or hate theme park rides ...

We wanted to be on the ship for NYE, and we were. We knew that the weather could be rough given our timing and location. And it was. Didn't stop us from buying two future cruise certs and filling out Vacation Hero cards for half a dozen staff and crew, particularly the poor guy who guarded a protein spill outside of Le Bistro until he could call in for supplies to clean it.

There were things NCL could improve upon, for sure (e.g., better and more communication from the Captain. We said it should've been a drinking game every time he said, "We are optimizing our speed and direction to insure minimum motion of the vessel." Like he was reading from a script. That quote is pretty much verbatim from memory.)

I could go on, but there are plenty of people reporting in. And bottom line, I'm fat, happy, and alive. And I'll have memories of this cruise forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

And you will look back on this cruise experience and laugh about it one day. That is what we do with our Carnival Cruise experience. It was 8 years ago and some of the people in our group are going with us on another cruise this spring! :)

And you will look back on this cruise experience and laugh about it one day. That is what we do with our Carnival Cruise experience. It was 8 years ago and some of the people in our group are going with us on another cruise this spring! :)

So true.

Our first was on the tiny Celebrity ZENITH in Sept of 2001. Leaving from Baltimore to Bermuda once we passed over the Chesapeake tunnel and got into the ocean we experienced wave heights and crosswinds that woke us up, tossed me from bed, sent all the glassware, coffee carafe and everything else that wasn't nailed down rolling from one side of the suite to another. The anchor was banging against the hull and one minute we would see water from our window, the next we would see sky.

We were hooked from then on and have since cruised once or twice a year and have experienced pretty much every type of sea conditions from wild to billiard table smoothness.

As to how we feel about our past cruises, this quote from AlexandNessa sums it up "I could go on, but there are plenty of people reporting in. And bottom line, I'm fat, happy, and alive. And I'll have memories of this cruise forever."

bosco

Nobody goes on a cruise and expects to fear for their lives. The captain should have avoided this storm and stayed put in the last port for an extra day. Where in NCL's advertising does it have a disclaimer for water coming down the stairwells and into your cabin? Where does it state if you can't use your cabin the atrium is a place to sleep if you can even sleep? I believe everyone is entitled to a cruise credit equal to their fare towards their next cruise if they choose to cruise again.

Nobody goes on a cruise and expects to fear for their lives. The captain should have avoided this storm and stayed put in the last port for an extra day. Where in NCL's advertising does it have a disclaimer for water coming down the stairwells and into your cabin? Where does it state if you can't use your cabin the atrium is a place to sleep if you can even sleep? I believe everyone is entitled to a cruise credit equal to their fare towards their next cruise if they choose to cruise again.

This. Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt some were subjectively fearing for their lives. Was that fear objectively reasonable? Not so sure. In any event, they signed a contract, they are "entitled" to binding arbitration in Miami-Dade county if they feel harmed. That is it.

Now, if they WANT to offer a little something (maybe 1 free cruise next certificate per cabin?) I think that would be more than sufficient. If I were on their in house legal team (in full disclosure, my area of practice is general corporate law, not civil lit or maritime law) I would advise them to offer nothing. The captain got everyone home safe and sound. Could he have communicated better? Perhaps. Was he negligent in any way? Highly, highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No doubt some were subjectively fearing for their lives. Was that fear objectively reasonable? Not so sure. In any event, they signed a contract, they are "entitled" to binding arbitration in Miami-Dade county if they feel harmed. That is it.

Now, if they WANT to offer a little something (maybe 1 free cruise next certificate per cabin?) I think that would be more than sufficient. If I were on their in house legal team (in full disclosure, my area of practice is general corporate law, not civil lit or maritime law) I would advise them to offer nothing. The captain got everyone home safe and sound. Could he have communicated better? Perhaps. Was he negligent in any way? Highly, highly unlikely.Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. Some people fear for their lives walking past homeless people.

Any offer will have "and agrees to waive any potential future action against NCL" on it.

So it's okay for you to post your opinion but not anyone else. Got it.
No you don't "got it". Nowhere in that post did the poster say anyone did not have a right to post! SO now it's not OK to state your opinion of post??? ugh! :rolleyes:

It’s really frustrating to be judged by someone who has not experienced this cruise. So hold your self-centered opinions unless you have something useful to say

But your self-centered opinion is wholly dispositive? And experiencing it has absolutely nothing to do one's ability to read the contract every single one of us agrees to when we step foot on a ship. And some of us (myself included) are actually trained to be dispassionate in the execution of our profession. And yes, I am able to do so even when I myself (or a member of my family) has been harmed.

Again, no one is saying they don't feel for those who sailed through the storm and no one wishes ill will. We are just trying to frame the issue here and make expectations more reasonable.

AlexandNessa, you are MY Cruise Heroes. :) Appreciate you weighing in to balance the discussion.

I will say that now that everyone has witnessed the Anthem of the Seas winter storm situation, and now these Breakaway cruise events, that anyone booking out of New York in the middle of winter going forward needs to ACCEPT what MIGHT happen.

Don't read about these incidents, book anyway, and come back here (or to the local news) looking for sympathy and a refund.

Weather is uncontrollable and no one has any idea what NCL or the captain knew what/when about the storm. I am going to assume that, in addition to not wanting to harm or kill passengers, they have an interest in not damaging their pretty expensive ship and business reputation. So I highly doubt they consciously made a decision to risk destroying the ship and killing people to pick up another round of cruisers in New York. I am sure they are not happy with the way things turned out, but I will never believe that they INTENTIONALLY or NEGLIGENTLY moved ahead.

I think they could offer some future cruise credit as a "good will" gesture - but in my opinion they don't owe anybody a refund. And anyone asking for one is an opportunist. (Also my opinion.)

No you don't "got it". Nowhere in that post did the poster say anyone did not have a right to post! SO now it's not OK to state your opinion of post??? ugh! :rolleyes:

No, I got it just right apparently.

Many many people have been on cruises in bad weather - worse hurricanes than this.

You'd think it was the Poseidon Adventure.

Ugh. :rolleyes:

AlexandNessa, you are MY Cruise Heroes. :) Appreciate you weighing in to balance the discussion.

I will say that now that everyone has witnessed the Anthem of the Seas winter storm situation, and now these Breakaway cruise events, that anyone booking out of New York in the middle of winter going forward needs to ACCEPT what MIGHT happen.

Don't read about these incidents, book anyway, and come back here (or to the local news) looking for sympathy and a refund.

Weather is uncontrollable and no one has any idea what NCL or the captain knew what/when about the storm. I am going to assume that, in addition to not wanting to harm or kill passengers, they have an interest in not damaging their pretty expensive ship and business reputation. So I highly doubt they consciously made a decision to risk destroying the ship and killing people to pick up another round of cruisers in New York. I am sure they are not happy with the way things turned out, but I will never believe that they INTENTIONALLY or NEGLIGENTLY moved ahead.

I think they could offer some future cruise credit as a "good will" gesture - but in my opinion they don't owe anybody a refund. And anyone asking for one is an opportunist. (Also my opinion.)

I wish we could "like" posts on cruisecritic! Well said.

Wow! You people are ruthless. You were not there and have no idea how bad it was. I was not there either but it appears to have been very scary and unpleasant. If the captain could have avoided it he should have. They were lucky. If the ship had sunk at sea you all would be screaming that NCL was horrible to decide to try to ride the storm out.

Agreeing. The return does trip sounds awful. My husband can see the pier from his office windows and we live outside the city in Connecticut. The winds were the highest I have ever seen. Glad, we did that trip in December and missed the drama!

Although many people consider themselves "seasoned cruisers" because they've been on many cruises.....it really just means you know "the rules" such as tipping, cruisenext, unlimited drinks etc.

It does NOT mean you are the George Clooney character in "The Perfect Storm" (the story of the Andrea Gale) or know what the ship can or cannot handle.

I've been on about 20 cruises so I guess I'm considered seasoned. I would have panicked if water was leaking in, the ship listing and glass being shattered...and whatever else happened on this cruise, although I'm "very seasoned".

Yeah...sailing out of NYC is cold in the winter. But last summer, how many cruises were canceled or diverted because of all the hurricanes??? I saw the big orange ball on "Current Marine Data" and imho, there didn't look like a way to avoid it...except the ship staying down south for a couple of extra days (like in the hurricanes last summer).

I have been cruising For over 50 years and have been through numerous storms. To say the least they are unpleasant and I have been too scared to get seasick!

The worse I can remember is Force 10 winds and once we were struck by a rogue wave of 95 feet. Never have I asked for a refund but thanked the officers for getting us through the storm alive. Remember those Captains fondly and admired their skills. Sorry you had this experience and did not have confidence in your ship or Captain.

I am thinking of the passengers who are booked on the cruise leaving NYC today.

It will be interesting to read any reviews posted by these passengers when they return to Pier 88 .

Considering the reports of flooding, glass breakage ,seasick passengers and people sleeping in the mid ship atrium areas, I wonder what the condition of the ship was when these passengers boarded either last night or today.

I am thinking that the crew had to do massive amounts of work in a short turnaround time to get the Breakaway into ,at least, a satisfactory condition for a new group of passengers.

One of my vacation principles is "The worse the experience, the better the story, later!"