BA news in NY

bones774

Although many people consider themselves "seasoned cruisers" because they've been on many cruises.....it really just means you know "the rules" such as tipping, cruisenext, unlimited drinks etc.

It does NOT mean you are the George Clooney character in "The Perfect Storm" (the story of the Andrea Gale) or know what the ship can or cannot handle.

:'):'):'):')

AlexandNessa, you are MY Cruise Heroes. :) Appreciate you weighing in to balance the discussion.

I will say that now that everyone has witnessed the Anthem of the Seas winter storm situation, and now these Breakaway cruise events, that anyone booking out of New York in the middle of winter going forward needs to ACCEPT what MIGHT happen.

Don't read about these incidents, book anyway, and come back here (or to the local news) looking for sympathy and a refund.

Weather is uncontrollable and no one has any idea what NCL or the captain knew what/when about the storm. I am going to assume that, in addition to not wanting to harm or kill passengers, they have an interest in not damaging their pretty expensive ship and business reputation. So I highly doubt they consciously made a decision to risk destroying the ship and killing people to pick up another round of cruisers in New York. I am sure they are not happy with the way things turned out, but I will never believe that they INTENTIONALLY or NEGLIGENTLY moved ahead.

I think they could offer some future cruise credit as a "good will" gesture - but in my opinion they don't owe anybody a refund. And anyone asking for one is an opportunist. (Also my opinion.)

NCL knew that the ship, crew and passengers would make it back to NY relatively unharmed however they also knew that it would be a scary, terrifying ride and IMO they did not care about the passengers or crew on board's comfort. NCL wanted to make it back to NY so the next sailing would not have to be cancelled. While I agree NCL had no control over the weather, it is how situations are handled that determine the public's (and my) perception of a company. NCL failed in this instance.

My first thought is I bet some of the passengers with balconies didn't realize you can seal the balcony door pretty much air tight by turning the handle up. But if you leave the handle down it may close but it's not sealed.

NCL knew that the ship, crew and passengers would make it back to NY relatively unharmed however they also knew that it would be a scary, terrifying ride and IMO they did not care about the passengers or crew on board's comfort.

And exactly how do you know what they knew? Did you speak with someone at NCL?

No doubt some were subjectively fearing for their lives. Was that fear objectively reasonable? Not so sure. In any event, they signed a contract, they are "entitled" to binding arbitration in Miami-Dade county if they feel harmed. That is it.

Now, if they WANT to offer a little something (maybe 1 free cruise next certificate per cabin?) I think that would be more than sufficient. If I were on their in house legal team (in full disclosure, my area of practice is general corporate law, not civil lit or maritime law) I would advise them to offer nothing. The captain got everyone home safe and sound. Could he have communicated better? Perhaps. Was he negligent in any way? Highly, highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Customer service industries need to maintain a good reputation for what they advertise. This was not a vacation and was a predicable event since this storm has been in the news for days and they decided NOT to stay put for an extra day. I think they owe everyone who will sail with them again a replacement cruise. Giving a replacement cruise costs NCL close to nothing (VS a cash payment) and builds good will and turns a negative opinion into a positive one. Your advise for them to do nothing will cause them to loose future business from these passengers and all the people they tell. People who have a bad experience will tell lots of people where as people who have a good experience tend to say nothing. Most restaurants will replace your meal if you didn't like it, most hotels will change your room or compensate you if there is an issue, why shouldn't NCL do some good PR here too.

Agreeing. The return does trip sounds awful. My husband can see the pier from his office windows and we live outside the city in Connecticut. The winds were the highest I have ever seen. Glad, we did that trip in December and missed the drama!

The winds were the highest you've ever seen? Even higher than Hurricane Sandy?

We were on the Jewel and left 15 minutes before they closed the port. We then sailed between Sandy and the coastline. That night, we had 40 ft waves and 100+ mph winds. It wasn't fun but it was livable, if you didn't give in to panic. We ate in the restaurant but went to bed early as we knew it would be futile to try to move around the ship too much.

One of the smartest things we did - a mid level, mid-ship room. If you're going out at a time when things could be stormy, I'd never understand why someone would have a room strongly fore or aft, or on the upper levels where you'll feel more ship motion.

Really, only 20' to 30' seas for 2 days inside a 150,000 tonnage+ mega ship, in relative safety and they demand a refund for the expected roller coaster ride up in Haven. It's not a submarine with watertight seals so what's a little leaking & flooding in a major storm shown in the clip ... public area by the Outdoors, which is clearly locked & secured - nobody is going to get washed away by a massive wave.

At least, some of them got it right, stay on the lower deck, midship & slept in the atrium lobby. Imagine - if they've been instructed to put on their life vest and prepare to get into those "tiny" lifeboats ... abandon ship while at sea.

LOL presenting the story to arbitration for refund consideration.

Are you for real?

Water pouring down the staircases onto lower decks.

Water pouring through light fixtures.

Water in cabins and the hallways on deck 8.

You're ok with all of this? Just par for the course cruising in January?

You are either a corporate lackey or the next best thing.

A fanboy.

And exactly how do you know what they knew? Did you speak with someone at NCL?

Well honestly I hope they "knew" the ship, passengers and crew would make it back to NY safe otherwise they took a hell of a chance, don't you think? If it makes you feel better, you can substitute knew for assume.

Well honestly I hope they "knew" the ship, passengers and crew would make it back to NY safe otherwise they took a hell of a chance, don't you think?

And the ship, passengers and crew DID make it back to NY safe. So looks like they were right. ;)

And the ship, passengers and crew DID make it back to NY safe. So looks like they were right. ;)

Which goes back to my original post. The ship made it back to NY with little or no regard for those onboard but more importantly for them no monetary loss for NCL. Except they will take a hit to their reputation for putting the safety and well being of their passenger and crew above profit. You might not care about that but I do.

Which goes back to my original post. The ship made it back to NY with little or no regard for those onboard but more importantly for them no monetary loss for NCL. Except they will take a hit to their reputation for putting the safety and well being of their passenger and crew above profit. You might not care about that but I do.

Well, your signature reflects that you've been pretty loyal to Carnival (and Royal Caribbean) considering they have had (what I consider to be) much worse public relations disasters with regard to ship and passenger safety, but if you are going to swear off NCL for this incident that is certainly your choice.

I actually just booked two more NCL cruises yesterday (from NYC in November '18), so it hasn't affected me. They will probably be ok.

So did the Carnival POOP ship make it back to port after no food or water or sanitation for days so you probably think that was alright too.

This incident wasn’t even mentioned on the news today in the NYC area, just a few bits yesterday afternoon (huge delays at JFK today and a deadly head on crash on the NJ turnpike, plus other more serious stories). If not for CC, I might’ve never heard about it. I don’t think their imagine will suffer. I do think after reading the accounts, there was a lack of communication to the passengers. I’m not a great traveler, and it really makes a difference when you are told not to worry, like an airline pilot warning of rough turbulence. They’re not going to risk the lives of thousands and an entire ship not to be late, I do think the weather shifted. I remember the Juno “blizzard” that shut down the area with only like 6”, people were so mad.

My first thought is I bet some of the passengers with balconies didn't realize you can seal the balcony door pretty much air tight by turning the handle up. But if you leave the handle down it may close but it's not sealed.

Yes, we did know that. Our balcony seal still popped. No only was it sealed and locked but the child lock was engaged. It did not matter in the height of the storm, it still whistled like it was open. We both checked it numerous times and attempted to reseal it.

This incident wasn’t even mentioned on the news today in the NYC area, just a few bits yesterday afternoon (huge delays at JFK today and a deadly head on crash on the NJ turnpike, plus other more serious stories). If not for CC, I might’ve never heard about it. I don’t think their imagine will suffer. I do think after reading the accounts, there was a lack of communication to the passengers. I’m not a great traveler, and it really makes a difference when you are told not to worry, like an airline pilot warning of rough turbulence. They’re not going to risk the lives of thousands and an entire ship not to be late, I do think the weather shifted. I remember the Juno “blizzard” that shut down the area with only like 6”, people were so mad.

The title of this post is BA News in NY and the 1st poster said it was being reported in the local news and had interviewed passengers. I live in NY and saw it on the news. I personally feel from what I have read and seen that NCL handled this situation poorly, Just giving my 2 cents like everyone else.

Please stop comparing the NCL Breakaway Nor'Eastern to the Anthem of the Seas debacles. The Anthem of the Seas ship began breaking apart twice. The NCL Breakaway experienced flooding, which usually doesn't happen during a Nor'Eastern. However, I have sailed in 40 foot swells twice during Nor'Easterns, so what the Breakaway experienced is not out of the ordinary for winters out of NYC. Also, the Breakaway would have been diverted to Canada if it had been in the Anthem of the Seas situation.

The title of this post is BA News in NY and the 1st poster said it was being reported in the local news and had interviewed passengers. I live in NY and saw it on the news. I personally feel from what I have read and seen that NCL handled this situation poorly, Just giving my 2 cents like everyone else.

I am the original poster, it was on local news and today it was national on Yahoo news.

What I find interesting is that with all this happening the only pictures were that of water coming down the steps. Also if I remember right the original footage showed people standing there looking at it and a NCL person using a shop vac on the water. No one seemed all that worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk