Zip Line Charge!

sidari

Personally don’t mind the charge - for me better than waiting in line - yes it should’ve been a change from the beginning (maybe it was their Christmas gift to passengers [emoji12][emoji12]) to alleviate at the brutal remarks.

However i just have 1 question:

Out of all the the people on this thread brutally attacking MSC for this - how many would have done the zip line anyways? (we are a party of 20 and i would say that maybe 2-3 would have even considered the zip line in the first place). I know some people just want to stir up things but had no intention to partake in the activity anyhow. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bait and switch is never a good idea, especially for a cruise line trying to gain a foothold in North America.

Sometimes I have to wonder how this happens. Is someone over at MSC headquarters in Switzerland sitting in a chair making random decisions? Lets start charging for the zip line today!

And I remember when everybody cried when NCL started to charge at Margaritaville. No body even cares now. Or when all cruise limes starting charging for food. Johhny Rocket's use to be free on Royal. Everybody does it.

There has been no advance warning that their would be a charge for the Zip line just in the same way that they removed the 18 drink vouchers, the Senior management need to grow up and stop trying to manage everything themselves or they will fail at some point in the USA.

There was no warning when they canceled My Choice Dining for Fantastica on Meraviglia, actually there was not even a notice. They still had it on the website weeks after the canceled, maybe still have. Now the babyfones are free, even it is written on the paper you have to sign that you will be charged. Not MSC has to understand you, you have to understand that it is a Italian company that is doing their business the way the want. I am not Italian and cannot understand many things they do, but I have to accept or change to another cruise line.

I think all (!) other major European cruise company have either RCI or CCL as shareholder, MSC is family business. And you are totally overestimate the US market for MSC. Sure they base ships there (like they do in China or Dubai), but only because they know they can also fill a fair share with their European and Asian guests.

We are cruising now with them as our first choice company since 2010, been on almost all ships, worked my way up to Gold status just to see that they are now status match thousands (yes, it´s true) of "Gold" and "Black" members in that never did a cruise with them. And of cause reduce the benefits of "Silver" and "Gold" dramatically. You can guess I am not happy about this and there are so many more things that annoy me.

But still I am a typical European, we complain a couple of things and certainly don´t expect them to listen and change. Every cruise there is at least one stupid issue ;p Still we love that boats and even after cruising with Celebrity two times, we just come back again and again. The only thing we would never accept is if they would listen to you folks and become a US style company. MSC is Europe, many different nations with one love for Italian lifestyle, all levels of income, Yacht club with butler service for the rich, crazy low prices for low income families. Yes, the steaks in thee MDR maybe cannot be called steaks, yes, the stupid zip ride maybe costs a little money. But many Americans I met enjoy cruising with MSC so much, some do not, let´s all relax and enjoy the holiday on the boats we like.

Out of all the the people on this thread brutally attacking MSC for this - how many would have done the zip line anyways? (we are a party of 20 and i would say that maybe 2-3 would have even considered the zip line in the first place). I know some people just want to stir up things but had no intention to partake in the activity anyhow. Just sayin

Our family of five would definitely do it. On Oasis last month my 72 year old mother-in-law did the zip line, so I would guess she might want to give it a go on Seaside as well. Honestly, it is one of the reasons we booked this ship. We cruise often and book different cruise ships and cruise lines for different reasons. We booked this one for the activities advertised. We sometimes book for luxury (Viking), sometimes book for destination (NCL), this one was all about the various activities advertised. It has been frustrating because we just can't see to figure out what is included and what is not, what the cost for various activities are, etc.

We booked Oasis for what the ship had to offer and I knew going in that we wouldn't need to pay for zip line (did it), rock wall (kids did it), ice skating (entire family did it), and flow rider (kids did it). I can't seem to get a consistent answer from MSC as far as what is included, what the cost would be, or even what the restrictions might be (i.e. if there is a height or weight requirement for any of the slides). These seem like simple questions that could be answered.

Of our 7, 5 most likely 6 would have done it. For us it was going to be something to sometimes break up the day. That being said, I wonder how they will handle this....1 of our cabins is a "super family - (2 adjoining balcony cabins) cabin with 5 in it. So will they try to charge for 2 cabins since there technically are 2, or will they charge the single $ 50 per cabin for the week since it was booked as 1 cabin. Before you answer and say its 2 separate cabins and both should be charged $ 50, think about this...when booking we were only given ( 1 ) $ 50 onboard credit for the "cabin". So my thinking is that the zip line should only be considered ( 1 ) cabin.

These seem like simple questions that could be answered.

As we watch the ship sail each week - we will all learn - all this is very new to MSC with this style of ship and its amenities on board - and they are probably trying to find the right balance - For instance, if you booked the Oasis class with RCI prior to the ship even starting construction, then you might have truly known what as included and not -

i totally get it, making changes without notifications is not great - however, at no point except for peoples post states that zip line is free - i should say, that no where on the MSC website, did they say that zip line will always be free -

it is unfortunate in todays travel - with ships / flights / hotels etc - it is a user pay situation - and probably keeps the cost down for those passengers that do not partake in nothing - on flights you choose to pay for meals / seats / lounge passes -(if you want it, you pay for it over and above the cost of the flight) - it is just the way travel has changed -

MSC STILL is a great value at sea and try to keep the costs down - the cost of their drink packages / dining trio package / giving drink coupons with Fantastica experience / just the cost for the cruise - including the price of the Yacht Club, is still a great value at sea - and we must take a step back and remember this.....

There was no warning when they canceled My Choice Dining for Fantastica on Meraviglia, actually there was not even a notice. They still had it on the website weeks after the canceled, maybe still have. Now the babyfones are free, even it is written on the paper you have to sign that you will be charged. Not MSC has to understand you, you have to understand that it is a Italian company that is doing their business the way the want. I am not Italian and cannot understand many things they do, but I have to accept or change to another cruise line.

I think all (!) other major European cruise company have either RCI or CCL as shareholder, MSC is family business. And you are totally overestimate the US market for MSC. Sure they base ships there (like they do in China or Dubai), but only because they know they can also fill a fair share with their European and Asian guests.

We are cruising now with them as our first choice company since 2010, been on almost all ships, worked my way up to Gold status just to see that they are now status match thousands (yes, it´s true) of "Gold" and "Black" members in that never did a cruise with them. And of cause reduce the benefits of "Silver" and "Gold" dramatically. You can guess I am not happy about this and there are so many more things that annoy me.

But still I am a typical European, we complain a couple of things and certainly don´t expect them to listen and change. Every cruise there is at least one stupid issue ;p Still we love that boats and even after cruising with Celebrity two times, we just come back again and again. The only thing we would never accept is if they would listen to you folks and become a US style company. MSC is Europe, many different nations with one love for Italian lifestyle, all levels of income, Yacht club with butler service for the rich, crazy low prices for low income families. Yes, the steaks in thee MDR maybe cannot be called steaks, yes, the stupid zip ride maybe costs a little money. But many Americans I met enjoy cruising with MSC so much, some do not, let´s all relax and enjoy the holiday on the boats we like.

Great post in explaining cultural differences between the lines and customer expectations and actions.

Bait and switch is never a good idea, especially for a cruise line trying to gain a foothold in North America.

Sometimes I have to wonder how this happens. Is someone over at MSC headquarters in Switzerland sitting in a chair making random decisions? Lets start charging for the zip line today!

They hired FDR as a consultant.

Personally don’t mind the charge - for me better than waiting in line - yes it should’ve been a change from the beginning (maybe it was their Christmas gift to passengers [emoji12][emoji12]) to alleviate at the brutal remarks.

Our group of 6 all would have done it.

In any case, ANY cruiseline that takes something that is included to now be a charge is lame unless they significantly improve the experience (maybe a "free" picture MSC?).

Our group of 6 all would have done it.

In any case, ANY cruiseline that takes something that is included to now be a charge is lame unless they significantly improve the experience (maybe a "free" picture MSC?).

But that is what i am saying. Where on the MSC website ever say that zip lining was complimentary.

Lines try things like this every so often. It amazes me at the amount of anger that is geared toward them. I really can,t complain especially for the price we pad in Yacht Club would be well over double in the haven. There is your $10 zip line charge!! I love coming to this site, but the amount of negativity is amazing. If you are frustrated with MSC take your money elsewhere.

It isn't that easy for some of us to just take my money and go elsewhere when in our case, we are sailing in 20 days.

This is our first MSC cruise and while I'm still excited, it's been a bit disappointing to see all these things change and specially when we find them out from fellow cruisers and not The cruise line itself. The website sucks, agents on the phone or even Facebook messenger are terrible, I still can't get my edocs, etc. Having sailed RC's Oasis and Allure there is a lot to do and a lot to eat for free. On the Seaside basically if I don't want to pay anything extra I should just sit by the pool and eat buffet / MDR. By the time we sail they will be charging for the slides!

And talking about price, while it was not expensive, it was not exactly a bargain. It was just a little under other cruises we have done with NCL or RC, but if you Add up the fact that with them you can do slides, rock climbing, skating, flow rider etc AND eat at different venues without having to pay specialty, the MSC cruise ends up being more money. Probably not upfront with the cruise fare, but with The add ons during the week.

I don't consider myself a negative person but then again this was a bit of a bummer. I live in Mexico so it is specially hard for me to afford this vacations. Right now my entire check for a month will switch to 600 dollars, go figure. We like to spend and all, but are ver conscious where we do it. 50 dlls for the week long zip line may not be a lot for some of you but it is for us. That could well be a shore excursion.

Sorry for the long post.

And talking about price, while it was not expensive, it was not exactly a bargain. It was just a little under other cruises we have done with NCL or RC, but if you Add up the fact that with them you can do slides, rock climbing, skating, flow rider etc AND eat at different venues without having to pay specialty, the MSC cruise ends up being more money. Probably not upfront with the cruise fare, but with The add ons during the week.

Exactly voyager89! :loudcry:

Not true as you will find out for yourself very soon. Almost everything is free on board.

Not true as you will find out for yourself very soon. Almost everything is free on board.
Could you please give me some of the stuff you are smoking because it must be good medical grade. "Almost everything is free on board"? There are numerous threads describing the plethora of things that MSC advertised through their print and website promotional materials that they have since changed their minds about and are now charging for or have omitted items that were in their online schematics and now are nowhere to be found in the cabins.

Could you please give me some of the stuff you are smoking because it must be good medical grade. "Almost everything is free on board"? There are numerous threads describing the plethora of things that MSC advertised through their print and website promotional materials that they have since changed their minds about and are now charging for or have omitted items that were in their online schematics and now are nowhere to be found in the cabins.

Cruised 10 times with them on numerous boats, I know what I am talking. Of cause the spa is not free, waterpark, rope walk, kids activities, even baby care, all free.

MSC is Europe, many different nations with one love for Italian lifestyle, all levels of income, Yacht club with butler service for the rich, crazy low prices for low income families. Yes, the steaks in thee MDR maybe cannot be called steaks, yes, the stupid zip ride maybe costs a little money. But many Americans I met enjoy cruising with MSC so much, some do not, let´s all relax and enjoy the holiday on the boats we like.

Great post!

Cruised 10 times with them on numerous boats, I know what I am talking. Of cause the spa is not free, waterpark, rope walk, kids activities, even baby care, all free.
Not every ship in the fleet is the same and obviously things are different with the Seaside. But you're a loyal MSC apologist that sees things through rose colored glasses. There are many others just like you over on the RCI boards who are myopic with their views that Royal can do no wrong. Keep drinking the Kool Aid, at least that is free.

lol I would not use it even if they would pay me)

Thanks... but well there is no rope walk on the Seaside, spa - I could care less for it and I of course never expect it to be free. Kids activities and baby care, I might be a bit too old for that.

I really hope to change my mind but I´m thinking this wont be the line for us.

SNJ ... did not notice or look for any restrictions re the slides as we both fit in them lol .... ;p

I think there is however a height one for the Zip line of 52 inches tall.

Maybe if MSC had not wasted 5,200 dollars per step on the 6 staircases in the Atrium the Zip line could have remained Free! and the Bella, Fantastica and the Deck 9 Aurea Suites with the long balconies and the B3 Aurea balconies could have had better wardrobe space ... :')

To be honest, when I first heard about this sudden change to start charging for the zipline, my reaction was not a very positive one. This will be our 20th cruise overall but first on MSC and this left a bad taste in my mouth, not enough to cancel or go into the cruise looking for problems, but an annoyance none the less.

Now that I have had a bit of time to think about it, its impact is far less. The zipline looks very cool and we definitely plan to try it out. We have obc that covers the per stateroom costs. So with the other booking perks we received and the very reasonable basic fare, we are still coming out way ahead compared to what we would have paid on our preferred lines (Celebrity and Royal). We sail in just under two weeks so as long as they do not make any other significant changes we will be fine.

To be honest, when I first heard about this sudden change to start charging for the zipline, my reaction was not a very positive one. This will be our 20th cruise overall but first on MSC and this left a bad taste in my mouth, not enough to cancel or go into the cruise looking for problems, but an annoyance none the less.

Now that I have had a bit of time to think about it, its impact is far less. The zipline looks very cool and we definitely plan to try it out. We have obc that covers the per stateroom costs. So with the other booking perks we received and the very reasonable basic fare, we are still coming out way ahead compared to what we would have paid on our preferred lines (Celebrity and Royal). We sail in just under two weeks so as long as they do not make any other significant changes we will be fine.

Well said!

Hopefully we will meet at M&M.