Zip Line Charge!

sidari

I agree that lots of cruise lines are adding on extra charges. Essentially, when people are buying a cruise, they are looking at the cruise price. So the more things the cruise lines can keep out of the cruise price (and charge extra for later on), the cheaper the cruise looks to the consumer, and the more people they will get on board. I have seen this happening on Princess, RCCL, Norwegian, Carnival, even Celebrity. I am not surprised that it is happening on MSC.

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that cruise lines only make 40% of their revenue from cruise fares. The rest is from onboard charges. You can see how they are making a conscious effort to lower/maintain cruise fares but increase onboard revenue.

You can see how they are making a conscious effort to lower/maintain cruise fares but increase onboard revenue.

Helen, MSC prices have been rising significantly in this neck of the woods for the last couple of years without an improvement in the onboard experience - in fact, quite the contrary. MSC is charging more and delivering less. Well, that has been my experience, anyway.

My point is, and I am not anti business, or anti MSC, NCL, RCI

, etc. I cruise them and more, but the point is it is on the company to provide what was promised when I booked and gave a deposit. If their business plans and revenue targets change it is their job to grandfather me in to what I have paid for and if they want more money come up with offerings to entice me to spend more. Elevate the product and people will spend more, it’s not my job as the consumer to happily accept less or negotiate against myself or pay for something again that I was told I was paying for as a part of the cruise.

Yes I can read contracts and understand the difference between the spirit and the letter of the contract. An American family with dual income, 4plus weeks of vacation per year, that lives driving distance to Florida’s major cruise ports and defaults to cruising 3plus times a year is MSC dream. They say they are trying to court us and win us over but the whole thing feels like dealing with a used auto dealer or timeshare salesperson Versus being a valued client. I don’t change terms and conditions on my clients after they contract with me even though all boilerplate contracts are written to favor the vendor vs consumer. It’s called smart business.

Is this an MSC thing? My cabins on NCL and RCCL have been serviced only once a day, if requested.

I don't know what ships you have been on NCL and RCI? However, been on NCL Escape and RCI Harmony OTS Nov 2017 and both had cabin service twice a day. Have had twice a day service on Princess and Celebrity in 2017, too.

My point is, and I am not anti business, or anti MSC, NCL, RCI

, etc. I cruise them and more, but the point is it is on the company to provide what was promised when I booked and gave a deposit. If their business plans and revenue targets change it is their job to grandfather me in to what I have paid for and if they want more money come up with offerings to entice me to spend more. Elevate the product and people will spend more, it’s not my job as the consumer to happily accept less or negotiate against myself or pay for something again that I was told I was paying for as a part of the cruise.

Yes I can read contracts and understand the difference between the spirit and the letter of the contract. An American family with dual income, 4plus weeks of vacation per year, that lives driving distance to Florida’s major cruise ports and defaults to cruising 3plus times a year is MSC dream. They say they are trying to court us and win us over but the whole thing feels like dealing with a used auto dealer or timeshare salesperson Versus being a valued client. I don’t change terms and conditions on my clients after they contract with me even though all boilerplate contracts are written to favor the vendor vs consumer. It’s called smart business.

A legitimate question for you. When you booked, did you see it in writing that certain things were included that are now at an extra charge? ( I don't include info from TA's). The only reason I ask is that I personally do not recall seeing a specific breakdown of what activities were included vs extra charge. I know there was a list of activities zipline, 4D screen, bowling, etc, but when I booked, I never received or read a confirmation that any of these were free of charge or vise versa.

I much rather they charge it and keep their cruise fares on the lower end then charging very high prices like RCL and having the zip line 'free'....

I agree with you 100%. No such thing as "free".

My opinion, I am ok with the charges for activities. It helps keep the lines down.

Is this an MSC thing? My cabins on NCL and RCCL have been serviced only once a day, if requested.

It is an industry standard, you were always receiving twice daily service on NCL and RCI unless you specifically left your do not disturb card sign in.

Edited by LMaxwell

A legitimate question for you. When you booked, did you see it in writing that certain things were included that are now at an extra charge? ( I don't include info from TA's). The only reason I ask is that I personally do not recall seeing a specific breakdown of what activities were included vs extra charge. I know there was a list of activities zipline, 4D screen, bowling, etc, but when I booked, I never received or read a confirmation that any of these were free of charge or vise versa.

I booked with MSC direct on the Divina not with a TA. Since then the itinerary has changed, black card benefits changed, add on products have changed, and inclusions have changed. I am paying thousands of dollars, nothing was free, it was included in my cost. How will you feel when shows or pools cost extra? Or if lounges require minimum drink orders to listen to music

As for price, I actually booked the Escape for the exact same day as my Seaside cruise. The price was more for three adjacent cabins than on the Seaside and with the Seaside we would have connecting cabins. However, our total NCL price included alcohol. At the time I didn’t care about alcohol because I thought I could buy the 18 drink voucher package and that, combined with the fantastica vouchers would be plenty. Now, however, that has been canceled and the chaos surrounding what is, and isn’t included with those vouchers has me looking into the drink plans. If I bought an alcohol package, the Escape actually becomes cheaper. I don’t think its a fair assumption to say that MSC is always cheaper. I’m looking forward to the cruise no matter what and at this point, I can’t go back to the Escape. However, the Seaside isn’t without competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked with MSC direct on the Divina not with a TA. Since then the itinerary has changed, black card benefits changed, add on products have changed, and inclusions have changed. I am paying thousands of dollars, nothing was free, it was included in my cost. How will you feel when shows or pools cost extra? Or if lounges require minimum drink orders to listen to music

I don't believe you answered the question. Did you receive in writing that certain things were Included but are now being charged for?

I am a poster who continually advises future MSc cruisers to adjust expectations. Based on pricing, it’s hard to argue that MSc isn’t a budget line (at least for those of us from the USA).

My experience with the divina (sailed both fantastica and yacht club) is that while the product is a good (excellent) value, msc does cut cost corners which is reflected in the low pricing.

Few things that come to mind for me- food quality (herring instead of salmon, etc...), entertainment (same performers each night instead of paying multiple production crews),and even in the yacht club I rarely saw my Butler and felt staff was overworked.

However; adjusting expectations is entirely different than MSc not delivering, even the minimal industry standards, in things like buffet dining.

I get charging extra for things like zip line, but to spring multiple changes to guests already booked is bad business practice at best. One of the most creative suggestions I’ve read is for MSc to toss in a zip line photo. It’s not much, but it’s something! A good faith effort to honor customers.

I see two separate issues here. Adjusting expectations to price paid is one thing. It’s not fair to expect Champaign on a beer budget. However; accepting poor business practice is an entirely different matter.

MSc needs to do better to honor the hype they made for seaside debut. Sure new ships have glitches, but many of the complaints aren’t new ship related.

Of course, all this is the opinion of just one member. Many people vehemently disagree with me and I can respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe you answered the question. Did you receive in writing that certain things were Included but are now being charged for?

Yes, I have advertising touting free features as well as the T&C's of black card from when I booked. As far as itinerary changing, their Bahamas private stop won't be ready. Can't do anything about that.

I'm not on trial here either. I'm the same as you; a paying guest that derives no income from the travel industry. Of course they are profit motivated but I still expect to receive what was sold to me. I expect you to receive what was sold to you. When I asked for $50 OBC to cover what was sold to me I was told request $50 off my account onboard!!! I said to the phone agent you can't be serious, that's money for the crew and has NOTHING to do with adding a fee to something that was included with the base fare.

I am a poster who continually advises future MSc cruisers to adjust expectations. Based on pricing, it’s hard to argue that MSc isn’t a budget line (at least for those of us from the USA).

My experience with the divina (sailed both fantastica and yacht club) is that while the product is a good (excellent) value, msc does cut cost corners which is reflected in the low pricing.

Few things that come to mind for me- food quality (herring instead of salmon, etc...), entertainment (same performers each night instead of paying multiple production crews),and even in the yacht club I rarely saw my Butler and felt staff was overworked.

However; adjusting expectations is entirely different than MSc not delivering, even the minimal industry standards, in things like buffet dining.

I get charging extra for things like zip line, but to spring multiple changes to guests already booked is bad business practice at best. One of the most creative suggestions I’ve read is for MSc to toss in a zip line photo. It’s not much, but it’s something! A good faith effort to honor customers.

I see two separate issues here. Adjusting expectations to price paid is one thing. It’s not fair to expect Champaign on a beer budget. However; accepting poor business practice is an entirely different matter.

MSc needs to do better to honor the hype they made for seaside debut. Sure new ships have glitches, but many of the complaints aren’t new ship related.

Of course, all this is the opinion of just one member. Many people vehemently disagree with me and I can respect that.

I'm sure you have cruised other cruise lines. I just took your posting and changed MSC to Celebrity, RCI, Princess, HAL, etc., and I just realized that is what I have experienced over the years with those cruise lines, too. Have you noticed that, too?

Lets be realistic, as all the cruise lines change their pricing, charges, perks, etc., and then you or I as a paying guest suffer the change.

Why are we as the paying guest picking on each other when we should be picking on the cruise lines?

We have choices and can always cancel a cruise before final payment. Biggest problem is that you have those that will justify any change and that hurts those who don't want to pay for them.

JMHO!!!

PS Where is Judge Judy when we need her???????????? LOL

I'm sure you have cruised other cruise lines. I just took your posting and changed MSC to Celebrity, RCI, Princess, HAL, etc., and I just realized that is what I have experienced over the years with those cruise lines, too. Have you noticed that, too?

Lets be realistic, as all the cruise lines change their pricing, charges, perks, etc., and then you or I as a paying guest suffer the change.

Why are we as the paying guest picking on each other when we should be picking on the cruise lines?

We have choices and can always cancel a cruise before final payment. Biggest problem is that you have those that will justify any change and that hurts those who don't want to pay for them.

JMHO!!!

PS Where is Judge Judy when we need her???????????? LOL

Oh gosh... I apologize if i came across as picking on anyone, or even taking anybside. I am a consumer advocate. Absolutely zero brand loyalty here!

I do agree that there have been changes on all of the other lines which don’t benefit the consumer. However I do feel pretty strongly that MSC takes some of the cost cutting measures to a greater extent (to accommodate for budget pricing). I share my opinion in an attempt to help others match expectations with cost paid, not to make excuses. Did i mention zero brand loyalty here? :)

IMO- MSc is a good value. I would sail them again and again for the right price, but I select them knowing there are limitations with the product. If cost was equal, or even similar, I’d select a different cruise line every time. Others feel much different. :)

Oh gosh... I apologize if i came across as picking on anyone, or even taking anybside. I am a consumer advocate. Absolutely zero brand loyalty here!

I do agree that there have been changes on all of the other lines which don’t benefit the consumer. However I do feel pretty strongly that MSC takes some of the cost cutting measures to a greater extent (to accommodate for budget pricing). I share my opinion in an attempt to help others match expectations with cost paid, not to make excuses. Did i mention zero brand loyalty here? :)

IMO- MSc is a good value. I would sail them again and again for the right price, but I select them knowing there are limitations with the product. If cost was equal, or even similar, I’d select a different cruise line every time. Others feel much different. :)Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NP! I guess we all are upset with the changes that have been made over the years. I remember when the Sovereign OTS first came out and they started charging for Ice Cream. We all said, it has begun. Little did we know it was OH SO TRUE!

Thanks for your opinion and input. That is what makes this board so informative. Happy Cruising!!!!

NP! I guess we all are upset with the changes that have been made over the years. I remember when the Sovereign OTS first came out and they started charging for Ice Cream. We all said, it has begun. Little did we know it was OH SO TRUE!

Thanks for your opinion and input. That is what makes this board so informative. Happy Cruising!!!!

Hahahah- this is so ironic! For the last few decades I’ve been blaming the onset of additional charges on the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream stand introduced by NCL in the seaward. I absolutely could be wrong and perhaps it was rcl that started the slippery slope. I’m going to poke around in my travel chest. I have cruise travel magazines dating back to 1988. I might be able to determine who came first ncl or rcl, but I’m thrilled to learn at least one other person agrees that the culprit of the slippery slope is ice cream :)