Zip Line Charge!

sidari

It's a complete fallacy to say that a reduction of included amenities is alright because a competitor might charge more for a similar vacation package. Recent changes have proven to be for the benefit of MSC, and not something that enhances my vacation value. And to be clear, I am not asking MSC to enhance my vacation value, but rather to provide what they advertised when I entered into a contract via deposit with them.

The MSC resolutions agent on the phone, while understanding the concern, offered no resolution at all. He said they have been inundated with angry calls and will not be compensating people. He gave me two email addresses to try:

mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com

dennis.burnham@msccruisesusa.com

$50 OBC does not cost a cruise line $50. And if it is going to be used to pay for what was until recently a "free" gimmick, it seems very shortsighted to give this sort of negative impression to guests you are trying to convert from Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, or Celebrity; each brands that are well established with US clients. Just seems like a billion dollar folly; beautiful new ship and what looks to be a unique new design, but if MSC is going to insist on treating clients in a manner which disrespects their irreplaceable time and hard earned money they will have to hope that there are enough European and Asian ports to support operations of the 10+ new megaships they have coming.

I believe corporate is being tone deaf and arrogant. That is my opinion and I can tell from the reading of this thread that some disagree. But what next change will be the one that bothers you? Breakfast for a charge in the MDR? 20 hour a day buffet "not so much"? Charging for access to child care? A charge for nightly theater shows? Accepting reductions in value begets further reductions in value. This is not a company publicly traded that must answers to shareholders each quarter; usually I find such companies have more discipline and focus on core values and long term growth. These, and other, documented changes reek of nickel and dime stunts that would usually be used to appease stockholders and not paying guests.

suzyed ... You have been stitched up by your travel agent, the 5% discount is given by MSC and has nothing to do with any that a travel agent might give! it seems to me that they have offset their discount by using the one from MSC! anytime we have had a discount from a UK travel agent we have also had our MSC discount.

We have done the Zip line on Labadee and both rides were worth every $, there is no comparison to the one on Seaside which has its speed governed so it is a nice leisurely 15 seconds or so ride.

There has been no advance warning that their would be a charge for the Zip line just in the same way that they removed the 18 drink vouchers, the Senior management need to grow up and stop trying to manage everything themselves or they will fail at some point in the USA.

DAjedu ... On the Xmas cruise there was a charge for bowling shoes which was $2 a pair, there was no charge for the slide board tube either. We used all 3 slides while onboard.

I've been stictched up? Please explain? I believe it was MSC that told me that I don't get the discount, not my TA.

Personally don’t mind the charge - for me better than waiting in line - yes it should’ve been a change from the beginning (maybe it was their Christmas gift to passengers [emoji12][emoji12]) to alleviate at the brutal remarks.

However i just have 1 question:

Out of all the the people on this thread brutally attacking MSC for this - how many would have done the zip line anyways? (we are a party of 20 and i would say that maybe 2-3 would have even considered the zip line in the first place). I know some people just want to stir up things but had no intention to partake in the activity anyhow. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I planned on doing it. Never did one before and wanted to try this one after I saw the video of Captain Scala doing it. I wish there wasn't a charge but I will probably do it any way....once.

And I remember when everybody cried when NCL started to charge at Margaritaville. No body even cares now. Or when all cruise limes starting charging for food. Johhny Rocket's use to be free on Royal. Everybody does it.

How much is Johnny Rocket's charging and for what?? I only remember them charging for certain things above and beyond the Hamburgers/sanwiches and Fries which were always free? I'm think Milkshakes and such had a charge.

How much is Johnny Rocket's charging and for what?? I only remember them charging for certain things above and beyond the Hamburgers/sanwiches and Fries which were always free? I'm think Milkshakes and such had a charge.

Last time I sailed with them (Allure on Nov 2015) it was a 5 dollar charge for all you could eat. Milkshakes were priced separately. We did the Oasis in 2013 and I'm almost sure they charged then as well.

What the poster was speaking about is the fact that RCL had Johnny Rockets as a free venue when it was first launched except for drinks which included a charge for their outragously delishous milkshakes...but later, citing “crowd control” as a reason started charging a flat fee for the basic burgers, fries, apple pie, ice cream sunday etc..all you can eat for $6.95(I believe thats the price..To be clear over and above that price they still charge $4.95 for a milkshake.

JR's has had a charge since 2003 or 2004

How do restaurant fees on RCCL and NCL equate to what MSC is doing to the zip line? Neither Royal or NCL charges for any of the attractions on their ships, though, I believe, NCL is charging a small fee for the go carts on the Bliss when it comes out. Johnny Rockets has been fee based for years. Margaritaville on NCL is about 1 year old. I was on the Escape this past December, and Margaritaville was a ghost town. People just won't pay extra for what they can get for free at another venue.

How do restaurant fees on RCCL and NCL equate to what MSC is doing to the zip line?

They don't equate, people just trying to change the narrative and act like a $50 fee for what was a "free" activity is alright.

What the poster was speaking about is the fact that RCL had Johnny Rockets as a free venue when it was first launched except for drinks which included a charge for their outragously delishous milkshakes...but later, citing “crowd control” as a reason started charging a flat fee for the basic burgers, fries, apple pie, ice cream sunday etc..all you can eat for $6.95(I believe thats the price..To be clear over and above that price they still charge $4.95 for a milkshake.

Right that's what I was asking about.

But I do agree....the Milkshakes are delish!!!

26230525_10215145515301093_2893637279007895577_n.jpg?oh=1da416754fbe172f2478774ac6574858&oe=5AB58237

Wow. :eek: MSC has skyrocketed their fun prices. On the Divina last summer, the "Fun Package" for unlimited use of F1, 4D, and bowling was $60 per cabin per week. Now you have to pay for each game. And 10 dollars per turn?? That's really expensive.

$50 for the zipline is expensive, too, but at least it's per cabin and week... so at least affordable.

Not every ship in the fleet is the same and obviously things are different with the Seaside. But you're a loyal MSC apologist that sees things through rose colored glasses. There are many others just like you over on the RCI boards who are myopic with their views that Royal can do no wrong.

I am not so loyal as you might expect. From 10 cruises with MSC only one (the last with the Meraviglia) can be called almost a perfect holiday experience. It was our first cruise with our daughter and I am still totally excited how good she was treated without need paying anything for her. Not for the cruise, not on board.

Before often enough I said, sure, we had a good time overall, but no, next time not with you, Celebrity and TUI Cruises will be preferred. But when it comes to booking and we compare the routes and prices, so many times it is happening that somebody at the MSC HQ in Switzerland folds his hands and says "Well, I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse". And then my love for Italy and my bank account make me hug the worst webpage in the cruise industry and book.

Wow. :eek: MSC has skyrocketed their fun prices. On the Divina last summer, the "Fun Package" for unlimited use of F1, 4D, and bowling was $60 per cabin per week. Now you have to pay for each game. And 10 dollars per turn?? That's really expensive.

$50 for the zipline is expensive, too, but at least it's per cabin and week... so at least affordable.

On Divinia over summer 2017 they raised that to $89 IIRC (or right around that price).

I will be honest, when I saw that MSC added the zipline to the list of activities with a charge, I got a bit upset. I actually spend time online looking for alternative cruises for our spring break vacation in April. For the Seaside, we are currently booked for my wife and I along with our 2 DD. We have the Aurea package with an upgrade to the deluxe drink package. I went and priced out all the cruises that fit our travel dates that sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, and Miami. I priced all the alternate cruises to include a balcony room, drink package for all 4 of us, and spa access with 2 massage treatments. I did this with the purpose to exactly match what I am getting for the $$ with our Aurea Seaside package. The absolute closest that I could come was the Carnival Glory at 4800$. Everything else was over 5000$ easy. That's 1600$ more at a minimum!!! WOW. So, while I do completely agree with the posters upset about the changes and "nickel and dime" going on, I feel much better about it. I can spend another $500-$600 on onboard activities and still be 1000$ ahead of the next best deal.

While I, too, aren't crazy about the on board prices, the cruise itself is a Walmart price, and if you want to add Macy's, then we pay for it. It's still an option though, so I either pay or not. I'm not interested in the Formula One, but I am in the zip line. When I booked this cruise last year, I paid $4000.00 for the YC balcony. The price is now $4700.00, so they may be getting a little too comfortable with themselves on pricing, both for booking and on board. Just my opinion, as the ship seems to be selling out.

I guess MSC is getting the response they want; doesn't matter what you told me I was getting for my money, you're cheaper than Royal Caribbean so feel free to nickel and dime me and not give me what you promised. When did America become the land of rollovers and laydowns?

What comes next? Charges for theater shows? Charges for MDR breakfast or lunch? Charges for twice daily room cleaning? Charges for kids camp? Charges to use pools? Maybe you weren't going to use the zipline so it has no impact on you, but accepting changes in the base offering just leads to a slippery slope. I guess just watch whatever NCL does so RCI and MSC can copy it.

We are less than two weeks from sailing, so not much I can do at this point, and like Best NCCruiser demonstrated, we are still coming out way ahead financially over other options we could have booked. I suppose I could get my knickers in a twist, resign myself to a bad experience, or, I can make the best of everything and still expect a fantastic week on Seaside. Think I'll go with the second option.

While I, too, aren't crazy about the on board prices, the cruise itself is a Walmart price, and if you want to add Macy's, then we pay for it. It's still an option though, so I either pay or not. I'm not interested in the Formula One, but I am in the zip line. When I booked this cruise last year, I paid $4000.00 for the YC balcony. The price is now $4700.00, so they may be getting a little too comfortable with themselves on pricing, both for booking and on board. Just my opinion, as the ship seems to be selling out.

Is $4000 for One week?

I guess MSC is getting the response they want; doesn't matter what you told me I was getting for my money, you're cheaper than Royal Caribbean so feel free to nickel and dime me and not give me what you promised. When did America become the land of rollovers and laydowns?

What comes next? Charges for theater shows? Charges for MDR breakfast or lunch? Charges for twice daily room cleaning? Charges for kids camp? Charges to use pools? Maybe you weren't going to use the zipline so it has no impact on you, but accepting changes in the base offering just leads to a slippery slope. I guess just watch whatever NCL does so RCI and MSC can copy it.

Aren't they already charging for some of the chaise lounges at the pool? I thought I saw that.

I guess MSC is getting the response they want; doesn't matter what you told me I was getting for my money, you're cheaper than Royal Caribbean so feel free to nickel and dime me and not give me what you promised.

I totally agree, LM.

Over the course of the last 2 years (in which I cruised a total of 8 times on MSC) I have seen

(a) the value of the premium package eroded despite an increase in its price

(b) Black Card benefits being further watered down - the "official" policy now is for 2 BC members in one cabin only receiving 1 dinner for 2 during the cruise, when each member before was entitled to this, making it a total of 2 evenings of dinner for 2

© less crew, leading to a reduction in service quality,

.......... among other things. In the MDR one evening on our last cruise, there was nothing on the menu that appealed to DH (a first!). When he asked the waiter what the alternatives were, he was directed to the cards on the table that advertise T-Bone steak or Lobster - for an extra charge!

At the same time, cruise prices have been increasing steadily, to the point where I no longer have any enthusiasm to book any future cruises and am seriously contemplating cancelling a future booking (another first!).

Unfortunately for us, I feel that the "nickel and dime" is a pricing model that the industry has found that works. Looks like MSC is just running it to the far end of the spectrum. We are booked for the Aurea package for 1600$ less than the nearest competitor for that market/date. When we booked, it was a no brainer. Therefore the ship is sold out for those dates. Im sure that this was plan for MSC all along and if their sailings were not filling up, then we would probably be seeing more of the 'free" stuff.

NOW, they just need to deliver a good product after the bugs are all worked out.