Passport not checked when entering Australia

Got off the Pacific Explorer (after travelling to New Caledonia) on the 8/01/2018 and wasn't required to present a passport to enter Australia. Is this normal now?

Dont worry........

They would have the list of all on board and had a couple of days to go through and check everyone well before you arrived .

Yes, it's normal for New Caledonia. You present your passport when boarding and the ship's security staff ensure that every time you reboard the ship at a port your photo is checked.

And I guess they regard New Caledonia as low risk. On other cruises (NZ, the Top End with a port stop in Indonesia) passports were checked onboard the ship by Australian border control officers before arriving at the first Australian port after an overseas port stop. On the PNG / Vanuatu cruise we did we had to go through passport control at the first Australian port which was Brisbane.

OzKiwiJJ: I've always had to produce a passport before, but this would be the first cruise I've done where the only stop was New Caledonia, so you may be right there. I was thinking that somebody had just made a mistake.

I understand it's low risk, and that it's unlikely anybody would get on board without a passport, but it still seems odd that customs don't check everybody to make sure they had a valid passport. There's still the risk that someone could get off the ship and enter Australia without a valid passport (and visa if required).

Passports are never required to be presented to ABF at the cruise terminal for " return" into Australia when the cruise originates from Australian waters regardless of where the cruise has been ,except of course for world cruises and the like. You should only have to present the orange IPC when you debark ( as we tell guests a thousand times every day )

Passports are never required to be presented to ABF at the cruise terminal for " return" into Australia when the cruise originates from Australian waters regardless of where the cruise has been ,except of course for world cruises and the like. You should only have to present the orange IPC when you debark ( as we tell guests a thousand times every day �� )

Great work.

Of course their will always be the passengers that do not listen, perhaps as they are spesthial in that way;p

Great work.

Of course their will always be the passengers that do not listen, perhaps as they are spesthial in that way;p

Before you get too "high and mighty", you might want to check your grammar and spelling. :D

Passports are never required to be presented to ABF at the cruise terminal for " return" into Australia when the cruise originates from Australian waters regardless of where the cruise has been ,except of course for world cruises and the like. You should only have to present the orange IPC when you debark ( as we tell guests a thousand times every day �� )

I guess you also have to remind them to fill both sides of IPC also :)

This is our experience also, hence our surprise earlier this year upon our return to Brisbane on Sun Princess from 'Round Australia' cruise. The only stop outside of Aus was Alotau in PNG & yet all passengers had to disembark & go thru Border Control, even those of us continuing on to Sydney. We had planned to just stay on-board for the day, but everyone had to get off and no-one could re-board until the ship was empty. I don't know what all that was about????

I guess you also have to remind them to fill both sides of IPC also :)

This is our experience also, hence our surprise earlier this year upon our return to Brisbane on Sun Princess from 'Round Australia' cruise. The only stop outside of Aus was Alotau in PNG & yet all passengers had to disembark & go thru Border Control, even those of us continuing on to Sydney. We had planned to just stay on-board for the day, but everyone had to get off and no-one could re-board until the ship was empty. I don't know what all that was about????

Did the cruise originate and end in Brisbane, with the leg Brisbane-Sydney as a separate cruise? If so, immigration formalities wouldn't apply at the end of the Brisbane-Sydney cruise.

Did the cruise originate and end in Brisbane, with the leg Brisbane-Sydney as a separate cruise? If so, immigration formalities wouldn't apply at the end of the Brisbane-Sydney cruise.

The cruise was sold as Bris-Bris or Syd-Syd, & also ending in Freo starting from either, but we found that it was also sold in sectors with people boarding in Adelaide, Freo & Darwin. Brisbane was first port after the call in PNG. Maybe people also boarded in Bris on second lap to go to Sydney? Anyway, we got off & passed thru formalities in Brisbane as required, without luggage, and then reboarded and got off in Sydney as if it was domestic. Anyway, must be good as that was how it was done.

Oh this is halarious

Before you get too "high and mighty", you might want to check your grammar and spelling. :D

There, their, they're, settle down. Take a wander and wonder whether the wether is out in the weather.

Deer me, mite eye bee plane with ewe, the other mourning, eye maid a pour mistake. Four those off ended, eye am sorry.:o

It's OK, Mic, you're spesthial! :D

And, as a few people here already know, that spelling is deliberate and has significance!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Great work.

Ohhh me, ohhhhhhh my.