NCL Escape or Carnival Horizon

tap_out

My Wife and I will be taking our first cruise together since the birth of our son this August. We have cruised several time on Carnival Breeze, Dream, Liberty and once On the NCL Getaway. We are in our early 30s and like to drink and have a good time. We enjoy shows, the comedy club and live music. Slides and stuff are a plus. I have to be honest I am really lost on which one of these to book. Its a pretty big deal because this will probably be the last cruise for 5 years or so. Plan on having another baby and the next one will be when they are both old enough to go. Price is almost a wash after we have to purchase Cheers. Think we would both prefer the 3 days in Bermuda however we have never been to grand turk or amber cover. This is the easiest way to break it down for me.

Cruises in question

7 Day NCL Escape out of NY 3 days in Bermuda

8 Day Carnival Horizon out of NY Grand Turk, San Juan, Amber Cove

Carnival Thoughts

Pool deck and Aft Pool. This trumps NCL terrible pool deck layout. Although we enjoy the aft area on NCL is doesn't stack up. We really love movies under the stars. We go every night after the show or comedy club and really missed this on NCL. From what I have read and seen the new theater design on Vista just looks terrible. You definitively don't get that grand theater experience. I have heard the comedy club layout is poor as well. We normally stay in interior rooms and carnival has about 30sq ft extra it appears. Really enjoy the FREE food options beside the mdr and buffet "guys, burritos and the Mongolian. Big Negative is the cheers package. While we have never had it on Carnival it blew us away on NCL. From what I am reading it doesn't stack up. 15 Drink limit, no doubles. Not sure about high end selections.

NCL Thoughts

Love the cool decor on the ships. It seems luxury compared to carnival. Pool deck designs is just crap. Missed the multiple decks and sight lines on carnival. Ultimate beverage package was awesome. All of the bars with there own specialties drink was really nice touch. Was great going up and asking for a double grey goose or ciroc lol. Love the waterfront area almost made up for the pool deck. Only movies they showed were on the aft deck and it was usually earlier in the evening and not every night. Feel like NCL really looks out for there guest. Just a nice touch to come back to cool drinks and wash clothes. Kind of annoying having the book things so far in advanced. Liked just showing up early on Carnival. Were big craft beer drinkers so the new brew house is a real selling point.

So to Recap if we go on NCL we are really going to miss the pool deck, movies at night and the free food selection. Have to deal with a smaller room.

If we go on Carnival we are going to miss out on the brew house, limited to 15 drinks a day with more of a limited selection. Giving up 3 days in Bermuda. Have to pay for drink the first day out of NY

Sorry for the long winded post. Could just use some feedback from some fellow cruisers who enjoy the same things we do.

While in port and prob just till under Verrazano bridge or so you pay TAX only on the drinks.

Horizon is brand new--not even sailing yet. Escape a couple years old.

I love the outdoor movies too.

We are planning on doing both since both are in NYC and we don't have to fly anywhere.

Really, I think either would be good!

We are really happy to have such great ships out of NY. We have always drove 18hrs to Miami :eek: the 3hr drive will be nice.

With the cheers package you are not even able to purchase till the second day of the cruise so the first days drinks would be out of pocket.

We are really happy to have such great ships out of NY. We have always drove 18hrs to Miami :eek: the 3hr drive will be nice.

With the cheers package you are not even able to purchase till the second day of the cruise so the first days drinks would be out of pocket.

On Carnival? Didn't know that cuz I don't get their drink pkg. Why do they do that. On NCL you get the ubp perk the first day but you do pay tax on them till away from NYC.

Like the Vista...Horizon has the Havana experience. Since this may be your last cruise for 4-5 years...I would consider splurging and doing Havana on the Horizon. Exclusive pool area and very quiet area for just Havana area passengers until 7pm each evening. You can still enjoy the rest of the ship at your leisure. We stayed in a Havana Balcony cabin ....to be honest if we go on Vista or Horizon again we will likely book Havana inside cabin...save a bunch of money. We did not spend nearly as much time on the balcony/porch since the pool area and outside seating were so close...We basically lived outside. It was wonderful with very attentive service. Felt like we had our own butler...

That is a quandary! I would prefer the Horizon’s itinerary, the fact that it’s a brand new ship, plus it’s 8 days VS 7 days. For me it’s a win for the Horizon.

However, my DH is all about the drinks, so for us the free drink package always keeps us coming back to NCL.

Good luck I think either would be great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were huge Carnival fans until we sailed on the Escape and WOW, now we are hooked! We are going on the Escape in a couple of weeks for the 3rd time! Being Platinum on Carnival, I still would like to try their new ships and every time compare the two when booking another cruise and NCL always comes out on top! We also love the UBP (huge seller since Carnivals is soo expensive), the free dining perks and the brewery on the Escape is one of our favorite places;) Some other favorites of ours on NCL compared to Carnival is the entertainment is so much better, the Escapes "Howl at the Moon" is one of or favorites at night and we really prefer the food to Carnivals (though do miss the Guys burgers)! Though in the end, we feel ANY cruise is a great cruise!!

Do your homework. In many cases the Horizon fare plus 7 days of Cheers equals cost of Escape with UBP service charge.. Plus Cheers includes specialty coffees, Milkshakes, energy drinks, bottled iced teas.. and bottled water.. They also have a $50.00 drink limit..not $15.00 like NCL..Both great ships. Whichever you choose have a great time

...They also have a $50.00 drink limit..not $15.00 like NCL..Both great ships.

Guess I need to expand my horizons (lol), but I don't drink anything which is $20-50 each to begin with! I think that's just a "sounds good" thing they add in there for marketing.

The fact that the "Ultimate" beverage package on NCL excludes bottled water is a joke. At least my next sailing with them (on the Escape in March) includes bottled water in our cabin... still can't get any at the bars.

My vote would go to the Escape over any Carnival ship - and I say that being Diamond on Carnival! This holds extra true if you're sailing in a suite, it wouldn't even be a fair comparison as Carnival's suites are a joke - perk wise.

Tom

Like I said price really isnt a factor they're both pretty much a wash after buying the cheers on Carnival. After doing some research it seems NCL has really hiked up their price on drinks over the last 2 years and several come in over the $15 limit. I also heard they pre poor and make a lot of the drinks. As of right now I think we're leaning towards the horizon. Thanks for the input

I am Platinum Plus on NCL and Platinum on Carnival.. Very happy with both cruiselines. I am going on Horizon this Summer in a Havana inside. That private pool area (similar to NCL Vibe) gets rave reviews from past Vista cruisers. Plus I love the pools at Grand Turk and Amber Cove.

I am doing both Horizon and Escape this yr. I have been on Escape , before and Vista in Havana. I would pick Havana on Horizon. The Havana area is very nice and I loved the Vista, it really is a nice ship. Yes the theatre is strange seating that is a con for that ship but the pool area on Escape is sooo tiny and crowded, luckily when I was on it I was in Haven and again in Haven next time.

Not sure if you are bringing the son, we have done the Bermuda trip (wife, daughter, myself) a few times. Bermuda on a cruise ship is a really good way to get to Bermuda. The ship parks which makes doing things around a child pretty easy. Jump on or off according to your schedule. As a new parent you may have found that kids do their own schedule. This works into Freestyle cruising in general as dinners are when you want rather than a 6 pm dinner reservation every night with a table of people y’all just met.

Not sure if you are bringing the son, we have done the Bermuda trip (wife, daughter, myself) a few times. Bermuda on a cruise ship is a really good way to get to Bermuda. The ship parks which makes doing things around a child pretty easy. Jump on or off according to your schedule. As a new parent you may have found that kids do their own schedule. This works into Freestyle cruising in general as dinners are when you want rather than a 6 pm dinner reservation every night with a table of people y’all just met.

No we will be leaving our son at home. Mom and Dad need some time away. He will just be turning 2. We are going to wait till our kids our a little older before we introduce them to cruising. Will probably end up taking a Disney cruise when they are around 4.

I've sailed the Escape and the Vista (Horizon). Pools are better on the Vista. MDR food and buffet are way better on the Escape. Pricing depends but NCL was better for us. I got a balcony on Escape with drink package for less than our Cloud 9 spa inside with no drink package. We had to buy Cheers on Carnival. Entertainment was great on both with plenty of fun. District Brew House on Escape is great, Vista couldn't touch it with their brewery which I believe is the same on the sister ship, Horizon. Fellow passengers were better on the Escape. Vista had a bunch of low-lifes on it. We are booked on Horizon though for 2020.

... Fellow passengers were better on the Escape. Vista had a bunch of low-lifes on it. ...

I'd have to say that I've likely witnessed more "questionable" behavior on Carnival ships than on other lines. Just a statistical fact from my standpoint, whether the numbers fully support it or not!

Tom