No books

Rjh8842

I am a big reader. But when on vacation I try to limit my reading. So I only brought one book. On our 1st full day our port (coco cay) was canceled. So by the time that evening rolled around I read the entire book. So I went to the store assuming they would have at least a few for sale. They did not have a single one. And since I go tech free on vacation I could not resort to an ebook. I was so jonsing for a book by the time I got home. I just find it very surprising they would not have any.

Libraries on board the ship are going away too. I always bring a Kindle, much lighter.

A few years ago I did start using a kindle. So that I did not have to constantly donate my books. But I still prefer a real book. So vacations mean I get a real book. And since I go technology free on vacations I could not take a kindle anyways.

Usually found books in the library and a small section in the store. Last time I looked books were in the liquor store along with miscellaneous stuff like aspirin and suntan lotion; weird place!

On my cruise before this one I found books in with the miscellaneous stuff too. But no luck this time.

A few years ago I did start using a kindle. So that I did not have to constantly donate my books. But I still prefer a real book. So vacations mean I get a real book. And since I go technology free on vacations I could not take a kindle anyways.

I understand that a Kindle is technology, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a way to have a number of books conveniently available. I don't use it for internet browsing or movies, it's a black and white model that excels at what it's designed for. I especially like it for reading in full sunlight.

I understand that a Kindle is technology, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a way to have a number of books conveniently available. I don't use it for internet browsing or movies, it's a black and white model that excels at what it's designed for. I especially like it for reading in full sunlight.

I'm the same way with my tablet. Although at home, I *DO* use it for all the internet/technology things, on a cruise ship, it is strictly a library. I tried bringing a couple of actual books once, and like usual, I plowed right through them and ended up "bored" during my quiet time. (I'm a multitasking reader, I can have conversations, people watch, etc, but if you take my book away from me I'm a bit kerfluffled and act like I have nothing to do.)

Times have certainly changed. I loved the libraries in early 2000. On my last RCL cruise in 2016, Liberty of the seas had a very small selection of books (maybe 150-200) outside the Internet cafe.

As others have said, I also use a basic B/W Kindle. It has a enough books on it to last me years. The ink screen is quite easy to read outside in full sun. I find it easier than carrying 4-5 paperbacks in my carry-on duffel bag.

I love the idea of a table to donate books to others, a great way to pay it forward!

The first time we went to Europe (2000), DD and I each brought 9 or 10 books and borrowed each other's when we finished our own stash.

Can you imagine how much of a baggage weight allowance those books would consume today?

We sail in a month, and DH is already checking over the reading material on his Kindle; I know I have at least 50 on mine that I haven't read yet. It wouldn't be an enjoyable vacation if we were stranded without good reading material. I don't think of a Kindle as technology. It's a portable library.

I always bring a bunch of books...try to bring paperbacks, as they're lighter. Not a fan of "e-readers" at all. I like the paper pages! I've never found much in the so-called libraries on the ship!

I'll usually go through a book a day, if it's a sea day or beach day.

And since I go tech free on vacation I could not resort to an ebook.
I understand the idea of going tech-free, but I'd still use a Kindle. A Kindle is just a different form of a book, and it's so practical -- so many books in a small space. It isn't interactive like a phone or a computer.

Alternately, pack more books than you're likely use.

Incidentally, I understand where you're coming from. Years ago -- before I went all-Kindle -- we went to the beach for a week, and I took two big fat books. Should've been enough, but I loved the first book so much that I zipped through it in about two days. And I hated the second book. With a Kindle, you can have literally thousands of books with you.

another plus to the kindle is that many libraries now have e-books for you to "borrow". We uploaded several books on our last cruise via our library at home! And the best part is no over-due fees--when your time allotment is up, the book just becomes unavailable on your Kindle!

Agree 100% Bob!!!

I still prefer the feel of a book in my hands but make sure to load up my compact Fire Tablet when traveling. Have yet to run out on a trip:D

Do find it easier to navigate the web if needed than the older kindle i have since gifted away.

My iPhone comes along too but only for possible emergency texts from home with an elderly mother/pets/family health issues.