No books

Rjh8842

I had a somewhat serious operation 7 years ago. Was away from home for two weeks, hospital time plus recovery/recuperation at a relatives home. I discovered the wonders of reading books on my iPhone, much lighter, easier to hold than a real book. My iPad now has several hundred unread Nook books plus several dozen guide books under iBook. I am not an incessant reader but since childhood have felt anxious if I don’t have at least three options available to me to read.

By the way, check out bookbub dot com, a great source of inexpensive eBooks. The library’s loaners expire too fast when on a long cruise...

Love this thread -especially since I am a member of the Lady Chew school of cruise readers. My first stop is always the library where I load up on books despite having a Kindle and several paperbacks with me.

As for the Kindle, my kids bought me one after seeing me struggling to hold onto a "real" book on a very windy day on deck.

We even had a book club that met twice on my Serenade TA last April.

Bob, the new deck plans for the Adventure show a new combination library and card room on the Promenade. I am on the first cruise after the dry dock, so it will be interesting to see what it's like.

... Bob, the new deck plans for the Adventure show a new combination library and card room on the Promenade. I am on the first cruise after the dry dock, so it will be interesting to see what it's like.

That's the former Connoisseur Club (cigar lounge).

I had a somewhat serious operation 7 years ago. Was away from home for two weeks, hospital time plus recovery/recuperation at a relatives home. I discovered the wonders of reading books on my iPhone, much lighter, easier to hold than a real book. My iPad now has several hundred unread Nook books plus several dozen guide books under iBook. I am not an incessant reader but since childhood have felt anxious if I don’t have at least three options available to me to read.

By the way, check out bookbub dot com, a great source of inexpensive eBooks. The library’s loaners expire too fast when on a long cruise...

I use Bookbub.:)

I would NEVER, EVER go on any sort of vacation without my e-reader and possibly a book back up. Are you crazy? If you are a reader, you must have books! I have had this NOOK for almost 2 years. I am going to purchase another one because I don't trust them. ( 2 previous Nooks have died unexpectedly) If this one should die on vacation, I will have reading material back up and I will pay or use my credit to download my books.

I resisted e-readers for a long time..but they are the most awesome thing ever. At this point, I wish that I had purchased a Kindle; but I loved my local Barnes & Noble before it closed.

You really should try an e-reader. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised! :D

I'm with CoralC. I have a Kindle app on my iphone, and I have a library of over 300 books that goes with me anywhere. It also synchronizes with my Samsung notebook, so I can use a larger screen if I want. My iphone is great for reading on airplanes and in crowded places.

Also, you can check out ebooks from your library and put them on your device. Most libraries allow you a 25 book limit.

I am a big reader. But when on vacation I try to limit my reading. So I only brought one book. On our 1st full day our port (coco cay) was canceled. So by the time that evening rolled around I read the entire book. So I went to the store assuming they would have at least a few for sale. They did not have a single one. And since I go tech free on vacation I could not resort to an ebook. I was so jonsing for a book by the time I got home. I just find it very surprising they would not have any.

I brought 4 books on my most recent cruise and finished them with 3 sea days to go.Next time I will bring 6.

I miss real books too, but there's a fair amount of get-off-my-lawn yelling going on here. I'm going to guess the average age of the posters in this thread, me included, is well over average. We either adapt or we suffer the rough edges and friction of bemoaning a world getting younger every day. Libraries are going to disappear. Paper books are going to disappear. Both will probably last long enough for those of us who care to still find them in some form until we can't read any more. But not much longer that that I'm afraid,

It is what it is.

Yeah I feel like this is kind of a negative stereotype. I'm a millenial and I love love love reading. I know a lot of people my age that read. Millenials are from around 18-36 years old, so we're all adults. I spent almost all of my afternoons in middle and high school reading books (and not what you'd call light reading either). I don't know that paper books will ever be completely eradicated, but even if they are, that won't stop people from reading. It hasn't stopped me.

Yeah I feel like this is kind of a negative stereotype. I'm a millenial and I love love love reading. I know a lot of people my age that read. Millenials are from around 18-36 years old, so we're all adults. I spent almost all of my afternoons in middle and high school reading books (and not what you'd call light reading either). I don't know that paper books will ever be completely eradicated, but even if they are, that won't stop people from reading. It hasn't stopped me.

On the music side people thought records were going to be museum pieces, but vinyl is making a comeback.

I understand that a Kindle is technology, but I don't see it that way. I see it as a way to have a number of books conveniently available. I don't use it for internet browsing or movies, it's a black and white model that excels at what it's designed for. I especially like it for reading in full sunlight.

^^^^this^^^ love my paperwhite kindle, day and night reading and lots and lots of books to choose from, especially with Prime!!

I have a Kindle app on my Samsung notebook, and my iphone. My husband and I use a service called bookbub.com. You set the frequency you want their email, and the types of books you want. We both get daily emails tailored to our preferences, and always get the books from Amazon, so they are delivered to our Kindle apps. Hubby reads his on his ipad. I would go broke buying books, so I only buy the free ones, or those for 99 cents. The prices go up to $4.99. Bookbub is where I get almost all my books.

Hubby has library cards from all our family members, because checking out ebooks doesn't go against your hard copy books you check out. He checks out audio ebooks and puts them on his mp3 player. He listens to them all the time.

Seriously, if you love to read, and read ebooks, check out bookbub.com.

Print is NOT dead.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/24/print-book-sales-rose-1-9-in-2017/

The rise of Little Free Libraries, an international book sharing, literacy, and community building projec, would not have occured if paper books were out of fashion.

littlefreelibrary.org

I will read a book on my tablet only if my selection is not available at one of the 3 city or county library systems for which I have cards. I prefer the tactile sensation of a paper book and enjoy passing books on to others and supplying Little Free Libraries and my Book Angel project that gives free age-appropriate, quality books to children and young adults via my employer.

I brought 6 book on my recent 12 - day cruise and finished them all and left them on Grandeur's bookshelves. I never depend on a ship's swap shelves or library as they are uniformly pedestrian if one is an eclectic reader.

The one think that I always have on my Christmas list is an Amazon gift card. The keeps my Kindle loaded for at least 6 months. We're on a March cruise and I already have 3 books loaded. My wife, on the other hand, always brings 2 or 3 books....when she's done she leaves them in the ship library.

Print is NOT dead.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/24/print-book-sales-rose-1-9-in-2017/

The rise of Little Free Libraries, an international book sharing, literacy, and community building projec, would not have occured if paper books were out of fashion.

littlefreelibrary.org

I will read a book on my tablet only if my selection is not available at one of the 3 city or county library systems for which I have cards. I prefer the tactile sensation of a paper book and enjoy passing books on to others and supplying Little Free Libraries and my Book Angel project that gives free age-appropriate, quality books to children and young adults via my employer.

I brought 6 book on my recent 12 - day cruise and finished them all and left them on Grandeur's bookshelves. I never depend on a ship's swap shelves or library as they are uniformly pedestrian if one is an eclectic reader.

There are little free libraries in several of the neighborhoods in our area. A few months ago some jerk took a baseball bat to a couple of them. Karma being what it is, after the first incident word got out and a tech savvy resident set up a camera with a motion sensor. A few weeks later the perp was caught. Everyone thought it would be some kid but it was an adult - at least physically.

There are little free libraries in several of the neighborhoods in our area. A few months ago some jerk took a baseball bat to a couple of them. Karma being what it is, after the first incident word got out and a tech savvy resident set up a camera with a motion sensor. A few weeks later the perp was caught. Everyone thought it would be some kid but it was an adult - at least physically.

Tell us more about this person of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one think that I always have on my Christmas list is an Amazon gift card. The keeps my Kindle loaded for at least 6 months. We're on a March cruise and I already have 3 books loaded. My wife, on the other hand, always brings 2 or 3 books....when she's done she leaves them in the ship library.

Go to bookbub.com for lots of free kindle books. In actually have too many because every day I can get more free. I won't get to a lot of them because so many new free ones come. We also belong to Amazon Prime Kindle Unlimited where you can get up to 10 books free each month. Check them out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always loved to read. Last month I went on a 10 day cruise on the Serenade. We also stayed in Ft Lauderdale for a couple of days after the cruise. I brought 3 library paperback books with me & bought 1 at the mall before we left. I also had a couple of books loaded on my tablet. I read everything in sight. I traveled with a friend & I would read while she was in the pool or hot tub or when she took a nap. She would play a game on her tablet in our cabin while I read. It worked out for both of us.

In March, we are going on a 11 day Panama Canal Partial Transit cruise. We have 1 beach day & we booked 1 beach day. I will bring books to read while she is swimming. I'm not into swimming that much. It works for us.

When my DH went cruising with me, he would sit & watch the flowrider. I would just go somewhere quiet on the same deck & read. When he was finished, he would come get me. He uses a scooter & finds it difficult to use the elevator by himself.

I still do other things like watch shows & play games but reading is a terrific backup. I'm not a librarian but I am on a committee called Friends of the Library.

My issue with shopping for paperback books, besides the cost, is taking my chances on what I will find. I have been with bookbub for several years, and I've slowly built up my custom library. I am such an eclectic reader that I have 40 collections with my 307 books. I even have one called "Already Started" so I can look around my library, but go back to the one I am currently reading.

When I finish a book, I "go to the library" literally. I browse through the collections deciding what topic or genre I want to read next. I'm big on history, so my WWII, Civil War, Westerns, English History, the Great Depression, Vikings, Saxons....well, you get the picture.

Then, there's Sci-fi, Dystopian, Post-Civilzation.......oh, and some Romance thrown in, too.

I know I'm never going to get bored, and I will always find something good to read, because I built this library myself.

So, to me that's the great thing about ebooks: variety and lots and lots and lots of books to read!!!

Right now I'm reading my way through Baldacci's "Memory Man" trilogy. Fascinating character. Borrowed all three from the library.

I have always loved to read. Last month I went on a 10 day cruise on the Serenade. We also stayed in Ft Lauderdale for a couple of days after the cruise. I brought 3 library paperback books with me & bought 1 at the mall before we left. I also had a couple of books loaded on my tablet. I read everything in sight. I traveled with a friend & I would read while she was in the pool or hot tub or when she took a nap. She would play a game on her tablet in our cabin while I read. It worked out for both of us.

In March, we are going on a 11 day Panama Canal Partial Transit cruise. We have 1 beach day & we booked 1 beach day. I will bring books to read while she is swimming. I'm not into swimming that much. It works for us.

When my DH went cruising with me, he would sit & watch the flowrider. I would just go somewhere quiet on the same deck & read. When he was finished, he would come get me. He uses a scooter & finds it difficult to use the elevator by himself.

I still do other things like watch shows & play games but reading is a terrific backup. I'm not a librarian but I am on a committee called Friends of the Library.

As a reader going to the canal you gotta read The Path Between the Seas, great history written 40 years ago.

As a Buddhist-leaning person, I have to admit that I find some pleasure in knowing the perp was caught. Perhaps building several new ones would be a suitable recompense.

I cannot imagine the mindset of a person who would seek to destroy such a positive example of community, literacy, etc.

Before I got an e-ink e-reader I used to say the same thing about hating reading on screens, but it's completely different from a back lit tablet or computer screen, it's more like reading paper.

and if it's a paper white like mine I can read at night in bed without a light that can keep my Dh awake..;)