No books

Rjh8842

There is nothing like the feel of a real BOOK in your hand, not a tablet.

I wonder if there would have been any way to post a "WTB/Trade books" anywhere onboard? If not, I would simply have spied on book readers and found one that had a book that looked interesting to you. Then go up to them, explain your issue, and ask if they have a backup book you can buy/lend/trade for. Us bibliophiles would have felt your pain and been glad to help :)

I wonder if there would have been any way to post a "WTB/Trade books" anywhere onboard? If not, I would simply have spied on book readers and found one that had a book that looked interesting to you. Then go up to them, explain your issue, and ask if they have a backup book you can buy/lend/trade for. Us bibliophiles would have felt your pain and been glad to help :)

There is a Community Bulletin Board, usually near Guest Services, where you can post notices.

As a reader going to the canal you gotta read The Path Between the Seas, great history written 40 years ago.

We did a partial transit last spring on Coral Princess. A shore excursion was available that didn’t exist the last time we did a partial transit.

We disembarked in Gatun Lake and took a small excursion boat the rest of the way to the Pacific. It was a whole new experience, going through the locks close to the water.

We bused back from Panama City to meet the ship. It was a wonderful day and if it’s available to you, I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree that The Path Between the Seas is a great read for anyone planning a Panama Canal cruise.

I pack 2 Kindles and a couple of paperbacks. Most of my reading is on the Paperwhite — perfect in bright sunlight. Pictures and maps show up better on the HDX, but it is mostly a back-up.

I know many people feel this way; my DIL is one. She wants the book in her hand. My friend's husband is the same way: only reads ebooks on airplanes.

However, my positive emotional experience is the entertainment value of a book, and having lots and lots and lots of books to choose from. It's kind of like having just gone to the grocery store and your fridge is stocked for the Thanksgiving weekend.

Right now I'm finishing book 2 of the Memory Man series by Baldacci. I have book 3 all ready to go in my "Borrowed" Kindle collection, and I checked out Connelly's "Late Show" today. I'm so excited to have these great books to read.

After I'm done with these, I'm going to hop on over to my Norman Conquest collection and start the 3 book series I got through bookbub.com from Amazon. It was either free or 99 cents.

To me, this is the pleasure of reading, not the "delivery system" (i.e. paper vs ebook).

The DH is also one that likes real books, and is an avid reader. Rather than pack a suitcase full of books, he takes one along plus goes to the library on each ship looking for more.

Those little book shelf libraries are disappearing. Time to pack more books. :o

Wonder how that affects the chair hogs that like to use them as "props"? ;p

• 2 weeks later...
The DH is also one that likes real books, and is an avid reader. Rather than pack a suitcase full of books, he takes one along plus goes to the library on each ship looking for more.

Those little book shelf libraries are disappearing. Time to pack more books. :o

Wonder how that affects the chair hogs that like to use them as "props"? ;p

My DH just cancelled his tablet because he seldom reads it.

He always takes a couple of books on a cruise and depend on the library for his reading. I hope for his sake Serenade has one.

My DH just cancelled his tablet because he seldom reads it.

He always takes a couple of books on a cruise and depend on the library for his reading. I hope for his sake Serenade has one.

Yes, Serenade has a library next to the pool tables.

On a related note, I always leave my completed books on the ship, in the library if they have one. If they don’t have one, I wonder where I should leave it?

You could leave it on a deck chair by the pool. I understand someone eventually will pick it up...

But seriously, if there is no library, can you start one? Ask Guest Relations to provide a table in a corner and a note in the daily bulletin that the table is there as a place people can leave and retrieve books?

Stan

I always bring a bunch of books...try to bring paperbacks, as they're lighter. Not a fan of "e-readers" at all. I like the paper pages! I've never found much in the so-called libraries on the ship!

I'll usually go through a book a day, if it's a sea day or beach day.

cb at sea— I’m just like you! I tried an ereader once (hubby bought it for me) and hated it. I like the feel of a good old fashion book with pages to turn. And I usually pack 3 books for a 7 day trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You could leave it on a deck chair by the pool. I understand someone eventually will pick it up...

But seriously, if there is no library, can you start one? Ask Guest Relations to provide a table in a corner and a note in the daily bulletin that the table is there as a place people can leave and retrieve books?

Stan

Actually, that’s a great idea! I’ll do that next time :)

Stan

In my hometown, we have these “little libraries” all over town. Private residents set up these structures on grassy areas by road that look like larger birdhouses with glass doors. Inside are books they have finished with. Anyone is welcome to take and leave books. There are more and more springing up all over town. So, your idea of an area for people to leave and take books is great!

No offense to some of the older posters here but I have news for you: just like newspapers and magazines, books are on the way out. There's simply no need to have printed material in 2018. Not to mention it's a complete waste of paper.

No offense taken. I am saddened by narrow-minded puerile comments but I try to take into account the source and usually do not find them personally offensive.

I was dragged - kicking and screaming - to an ereader. If I just read a few books during a cruise, I would still be bringing paper books. But, I read 15 - 20 books during a 9-night cruise, and significantly more during longer cruises; it's no longer practical to pack that many books. And there's always the chance that I bring a book I just can't get into. Then I'm really stuck.

So, with an ereader - I can bring 100s of books, and if I start a book I just can't get into, I can just move on.

My house is still full of "real" books. They are the books I have read many many times, they are close personal friends, and I could never abandon them, even on a cruise ship. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: