Are "Chair Hogs" much of a problem on the Celebrity Summit (or her sisters)?

NJCruiser78

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think we'll just try to sit on the deck above the pool, and if we still can't get a chair, we'll ask a crew member for help.

I, too, would like to hear why these people think they are entitled to "reserve" sun chairs, to me it is no different (as others have said) than cutting in line in the buffet.

Yeah, and the other part is the cruise lines.

The other, other part is that passengers tolerate this by not complaining when there is rampant hogging and the staff don't do anything about it. This creates a never ending cycle. My advice is that if you are looking for a lounger, see many obviously vacant loungers with just towels, and the attendance can't seem to find you a lounger or is hesitant to do so, then fill out a comment card or visit Guest Services to file a complaint.

(y)

Finally, I hope this is done on all the ships.

I do as well, because on the Reflection last year, the pool attendants told folks to leave personal items on the loungers if they wanted to save them, because if they just left towels, they would be removed.

This topic always makes me laugh but it is very frustrating when trying to find an open seat. A possible solution could be to have to check towels out with your sea pass card and then return them somewhere when you are finished with them this way people would be accountable for the towel or risk a charge to their account. Less towels would be left laying around this way which would mean more “open” chairs.

Perhaps I will conduct some surveillance on chair hogs on my cruise later this month and post it for everyone’s viewing pleasure and a good laugh.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here (well, my second, I was advised to ask this question in both cruise questions forum and this one) so I apologize if I'm doing it wrong.

We'll be taking our 6th cruise in July on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda from Bayonne. After being on Royal Caribbean five times (Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign, Oasis and Anthem) it'll be the first cruise we have taken on Celebrity. Luckily, we have not had an issue really with "chair hogs" much, though it was a noticeable problem on Anthem, even though we were still able to find seats. This might be skewed by the fact that the cruise on the Anthem was taken in May while the others were all in December, January or February. I understand Celebrity Summit is much closer to the Sovereign class than the Oasis or Quantum class, but I'm still not sure what I'll find, especially since there is three sea days.

Basically, have you encountered a lot of issues with people "reserving" chairs on the Summit (or sister ships)? If so, what (if anything) can be done about it?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing your responses.

I have a simple rule: I look around for unoccupied seats & wait about 45 min. No one sits down I then remove their belongings & give them to the pool butlers(who are to chicken #$%$%$ to remove anything) Past recipient comes back starts to argue. I then say: "Where's your initials engraved on this chair? You do NOT own ANY of them." Their response is usually "WELL, I never!" Seeing 5 kids with them, I then say, "Well, actually you did!"(last line's a joke!)

I have a simple rule: I look around for unoccupied seats & wait about 45 min. No one sits down I then remove their belongings & give them to the pool butlers(who are to chicken #$%$%$ to remove anything) Past recipient comes back starts to argue. I then say: "Where's your initials engraved on this chair? You do NOT own ANY of them." Their response is usually "WELL, I never!" Seeing 5 kids with them, I then say, "Well, actually you did!"(last line's a joke!)

I ask again was this before or after you threw the person out of a land restaurant with a service dog, after you threw the person out of the restaurant for not being dressed to your standards or any of the dozen or so threats that you have said you made on these boards. What's next throwing someone in a wheelchair with a service dog who is not dressed properly (the dog) out of the cruise ship restaurant. Please stop with the empty threats on this anonymous board, its' really getting old.

Most of us agree with many of the things you say but there is a time and place and a way to do things.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard from any chair hogs, I'd like to know why they feel entitled to reserve chairs.

There's one on another thread. A chair hog chimed in and rationalized how it was okay to "reserve" several loungers because a group of friends was traveling together so they sent someone up "early" to claim their loungers until the rest of the folks could arrive.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592197

I get the last laugh. Find some empty deck space and help yourself to a reserved lounger and simply move the lounger. Get second one somewhere else leaving a shortage in two locations. Stand by for the fireworks.

I get the last laugh. Find some empty deck space and help yourself to a reserved lounger and simply move the lounger. Get second one somewhere else leaving a shortage in two locations. Stand by for the fireworks.

You have an evil streak, don.....I respect that in a person. :D

I ask again was this before or after you (1)threw the person out of a land restaurant with a service dog, (2)after you threw the person out of the restaurant for not being dressed to your standards or any of the dozen or so threats that you have said you made on these boards.(3) What's next throwing someone in a wheelchair with a service dog who is not dressed properly (the dog) out of the cruise ship restaurant. Please stop with the empty threats on this anonymous board, its' really getting old.

Most of us agree with many of the things you say but there is a time and place and a way to do things.

(1)Yes! Not a service dog. A pet!(2)Maître D tossed him after I/others complained. (3)Hmmm, I'll have get back to you on that one!

Uhh, So, if there is a place/time/way..Why don't YOU tell us what they would be. Sorry, I take action when others, such as yourself stand idly by. You're the type, that when the ship is taking on water, you'd say to me: "Hey, better keep this to yourself & not upset anyone". My sarcastic response back would be: "Oh, why of course I'll keep it to myself, until the water reaches my lower lip & then I'm going to mention it to somebody!"

Edited by keithm
additions