How come NCL can do fluffy towels, but Princess can’t ?

scouse mouse

Did a transatlantic in Sept on Regal Princess. Steward was awful. Cabin not cleaned properly, towels rough, never given ice etc. We had a Club class mini suite.

Did a 10 day cheapie chappie on Ncl, Canary Isle and wasn’t expecting much. Had a balcony cabin which was kept really clean by our steward, fluffy fresh towels every day, towel animals and ice without having to ask.

We paid over double for our Princess cruise then we did for our Ncl cruise, so did we just get a very bad steward on Princess and a very good steward on Ncl?

Interested to hear other people’s experiences. It has certainly put me off booking another Princess cruise.

The towels on Princess aren't great but they work and that's really all I require. At home I use "bath sheets" for my shower towel. I love the big size. Fortunately I don't cruise for the towels. We have never had any towel animals so don't miss them.

Did you ask for ice? The first day on Princess Royal TA last Fall, the steward asked if I wanted ice every day. I told him it wasn't necessary and would ask if I changed my mind. Fluffy towels and animals not high on my list, and if I wasn't happy with cabin condition I would mention the area I felt needed attention. Can't be fixed, if they don't know. I have allergies and I have asked a steward to vacuum a little better before, no problem.

There's no excuse for a poorly kept room. You should have reported the steward to Guest Services. Princess had the least fluffy towels of any line I've been on, but as others have said, I can live with non-fluffy towels. Poor service would bother me a whole lot more.

I don't think towel animals are a routine thing on Princess as they are on some other lines. We've never had one...again, not a big deal to me. We had dinner seated next to a couple where the woman requested (and got) a towel animal every night. Hope they tipped for that extra 5-10 minutes it too the steward to meet her request.

On our next cruise, we will be in a suite for the first time. I read the "perks," one of which is "ice twice a day." I laughed and wondered whether it will really happen. We didn't get ice once a day on our Japan cruise. I didn't make a stink, but I had requested it. I just ran up to the ice machine.

Edited by moki'smommy

Please no towel animals!!!

As to the towels, while fluffy ones would be nice, I have really never been bothered or taken notice of the towels.

I have always gotten ice but it's a good idea to bring sticky notes with you and paste one to the mirror requesting ice or anything else you need. You will get it right away.

Did a transatlantic in Sept on Regal Princess. Steward was awful. Cabin not cleaned properly, towels rough, never given ice etc. We had a Club class mini suite.

How come princess can launder the towels, and NCL can't?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264605

I guess as long as the towel is fluffy...

Did a 10 day cheapie chappie on Ncl, Canary Isle and wasn’t expecting much. Had a balcony cabin which was kept really clean by our steward, fluffy fresh towels every day, towel animals and ice without having to ask.

We paid over double for our Princess cruise then we did for our Ncl cruise, so did we just get a very bad steward on Princess and a very good steward on Ncl?

Interested to hear other people’s experiences. It has certainly put me off booking another Princess cruise.

We were recently on both the Regal and the Royal.

One of the first things we do on embarkation day is tip the cabin steward as soon as we meet.

Never had a problem with ice or anything else. Towels were replaced multiple time per day as was the ice.

The steward also took excellent care of our three children's mini suite next door.

24402925028_00dfd6e780_z.jpgTheir Cabin

Howard

Maybe I am a towel snob....

But, yes, Princess could do MUCH better!!!!!

No real excuse....

They just do not seem to care to improve the towel situation.

We had an excellent room stewardess on our last cruise.

Room taken well care of, fresh ice (big square cubes from the IC) in our fridge every day.

She was very nice.

I hate smooth fluffy towels, give me rough ones any day. This has nothing to do with this thread, but now you all know.

LOL, get in line, I prefer the rough ones too. My daughter used to tell me I was crazy for it, but she tried them once, and never wanted the fluffy ones again.

Please no towel animals!!!

As to the towels, while fluffy ones would be nice, I have really never been bothered or taken notice of the towels.

I have always gotten ice but it's a good idea to bring sticky notes with you and paste one to the mirror requesting ice or anything else you need. You will get it right away.

I just tell the steward...if I want ice I'll put the bucket out on the desk. Never fails.

On our next cruise' date=' we will be in a suite for the first time. I read the "perks," one of which is "ice twice a day." I laughed and wondered whether it will really happen. [i']We didn't get ice once a day on our Japan cruise. I didn't make a stink, but I had requested it. I just ran up to the ice machine.[/i][/quote]

OK. I'll bite. Out of 8 Princess cruises I have seen zero ice machines. Where is this located?

On our next cruise' date=' we will be in a suite for the first time. I read the "perks," one of which is "ice twice a day." I laughed and wondered whether it will really happen. [i']We didn't get ice once a day on our Japan cruise. I didn't make a stink, but I had requested it. I just ran up to the ice machine.[/i][/quote]

OK. I'll bite. Out of 8 Princess cruises I have seen zero ice machines. Where is this located?

I’m guessing at the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are at the front area of the buffet by the doors--same place they have tea bags, sweeteners, and pitchers of coffee. I wondered if this was an area for the crew, but no one ever told me I couldn't use it and other passengers were getting coffee and stuff from the area.

They are at the front area of the buffet by the doors--same place they have tea bags' date=' sweeteners, and pitchers of coffee. I wondered if this was an area for the crew, but no one ever told me I couldn't use it and other passengers were getting coffee and stuff from the area.[/quote']

Yes, passengers can get ice at the machines in the buffet.

They cannot get them from the ice machines the cabin stewards have access to on each passenger deck.

Did a transatlantic in Sept on Regal Princess....... towels rough....

When the Royal came in the fleet, a new low in towels was introduced with the rough and thin ones on that ship. Obviously this continued with the Royal.

I do not know if these type towels have replaced the fluffy ones on the older ships.

Maybe "Come back new" refers to being exfoliated with the new towels.

Probably the same reason NCL has warm rolls at dinner & Princess has cold, rock hard ones.

Never been on NCL but have been on most of the ships in the Princess fleet more than once. The dinner rolls are one of the highlights that I look forward to on every cruise ... wonderfully crisp on the outside and soft inside. Just perfect without being heated!!

Having done 2 NCL cruises I can't say I recall the towels being particularly fluffy. The beach towels they give you to use are quite nice though. My husband likes the towel animals but I will be happy if they don't do them on Princess as we won't end up with a sofa full of the things that I'm not allowed to destroy *eye roll*

Always had ice filled up on NCL without asking. Not sure it would matter to me much if it didn't happen though. Most times it's melted by the time we got back to the cabin.

Never been on NCL but have been on most of the ships in the Princess fleet more than once. The dinner rolls are one of the highlights that I look forward to on every cruise ... wonderfully crisp on the outside and soft inside. Just perfect without being heated!!

Love Princess's rolls too.