Cafe Al Bacio ?

monakayk

Please don't laugh.....but, just how do pronounce Bacio? I get Café al ...:o

I’m not laughing. Italian pronunciation of the “ci” sound isn’t intuitive, especially to those of us who grew up surrounded by English and Spanish. I agree with GerScot, with the caveat not to make it a drawn out vowel sound as some of us in the US do when speaking English.

Edited by Silkroad

I’m not laughing. Italian pronunciation of the “ci” sound isn’t intuitive, especially to those of us who grew up surrounded by English and Spanish. I agree with GerScot, with the caveat not to make it a drawn out vowel sound as some of us in the US do when speaking English.

Pronounced like Cafe al BAH-chee-oh

You are right on all counts and I plan to order coffees and snacks there, and sit w friends and socialize and play cards. But I probably won’t be doing that until at least 2020. So you don’t have to worry abou5 me taking up a table there for a little while.

This type of pointless discussion is why I quit posting for an extended time.

Den

You will be happy to know that a sign was on the tables (Eclipse) in January 2016, but not 2018 stating not to use the area for Card playing.

This place has become the happy hours all day for Elites Plus members since they get free coffee.

There have always been guests who chose to camp out in Cafe al Bacio... The number of Elite + members aboard no doubt did modestly increase traffic since the membership tier was created in November 2013 but their numbers tend to be minuscule relative to ship capacity... Rather, it is the more recent proliferation of beverage packages that now often tax seating opportunity in the cafe...

Edited by Xport

There have always been guests who chose to camp out in Cafe al Bacio... The number of Elite + members aboard no doubt did modestly increase traffic since the membership tier was created in November 2013 but their numbers tend to be minuscule relative to ship capacity... Rather, it is the more recent proliferation of beverage packages that now often tax seating opportunity in the cafe...

Interesting theory, but I encountered the issues mentioned on this thread on Silhouette in May/June of 2013, at which time fewer people had beverage packages. I believe the Elite+ benefit and the proliferation of beverage packages has only exacerbated an existing issue. Common sense and civility would solve the problem. To treat others as we would like to be treated is an old social concept that still works.

To treat others as we would like to be treated is an old social concept that still works.

I believe that is a bible passage which is indeed a very old social concept:

The Golden Rule (which can be considered a law of reciprocity in some religions) is the principle of treating others as one would wish to be treated. It is a maxim of altruism that is found in many religions and cultures, with the exception of rampant bad behavior on modern day cruise ships.

BZ

I believe that is a bible passage which is indeed a very old social concept:

The Golden Rule (which can be considered a law of reciprocity in some religions) is the principle of treating others as one would wish to be treated. It is a maxim of altruism that is found in many religions and cultures, with the exception of rampant bad behavior on modern day cruise ships.

BZ

Yes, I knew it was a bible passage, but I had no wish or need to invoke religion. As you say, the concept is older than any religion. Without consideration and cooperation bands of ancient people would not have survived long enough for religions to evolve.

Not completely. There are still a lot of good folks I meet on the cruises. :)

I am with you 100%, there are many more good folks that I come across cruising than bad. It's just that it seems there are more bad actors acting more badly than ever before. Not sure why this is ... maybe entitlement, maybe oblivion, maybe socially disconnected due to being constantly "connected"?

BZ

Are you sure that was at Cafe al Bacio? I’ve seen those signs at the AquaSpa Cafe...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been able to figure out how to copy or attach my photos.

I have seen a similar sign in the AquaSpa, but not this cruise.

This is what it said:

“To allow other guests the full enjoyment of Cafe al Baco, we ask that you please vacate your table once you are finished.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Card Players. We kindly request that card games be played in the designated Card Room on Deck 9 Midship.”

IMO those type of signs in various areas (including the pool area) do not really work. You can tell by observing how the number of chair hogs increases later in the cruise as people realize that a lot of people are doing it.

IMHO On the S class ships Sushi on 5 should be used as an overflow seating area for Al Bacio during non lunch/dinner hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen this done once on our Solstice cruise in 2015 (only in the morning). The cruise was almost all Aussies (and we love espresso based coffee). At one stage they also had waiters come into the former Bistro on 5 and take orders for Cafe Al Bacio

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Well I hope that if people see people waiting to sit to enjoy their coffee and cake you would vacate the tables for others. You have the card room for playing cards reading etc. Gee some people do not consider others.

Where's that like button!

Is the basic cup of coffee or tea free? Or do they only have specialty drinks?

The coffee and tea at Cafe al Bacio isn't free. They are covered by Classic Alcohol and Premium Alcohol packages.

There are free coffee, tea bags, cocoa, plus bar service in the Ocean View Cafe, where many of the al Bacio desserts available. During off times, there are plenty of tables available for card and board games.

I agree it's very inconsiderate to claim a table in Cafe al Bacio for hours, preventing others from getting served coffee. If there are empty tables, fine. If all the tables are taken, you should vacate when you're finished with your coffee and dessert.

The coffee and tea at Cafe al Bacio isn't free. There are free coffee, tea bags, cocoa, plus bar service in the Ocean View Cafe, where many of the al Bacio desserts available.

Thanks for the reply. We don't buy any drink packages since we are mostly plain water folks.

Since this place is on deck 5 and the Oceanview Cafe is on deck 14, I would hope there is some place closer where we could grab a cup of coffee or tea to bring with us to Cafe al Bacio.

Since this place is on deck 5 and the Oceanview Cafe is on deck 14, I would hope there is some place closer where we could grab a cup of coffee or tea to bring with us to Cafe al Bacio.

That's like buying a coffee at Seattle's Best then going to Starbucks to drink it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1