Drinks package Versus pay as you go

Don't ever think a drinks package as a perk is free - you will have paid for it somewhere perhaps at a discounted rate but never free.

Agreed, but certainly can be a good discount if you are budgeting for your drinks spend and you can pick your drinks package a s a perk instead.

Just off the Diamond Princess and had the Drinks package,not sure I would again as unless you really do make use of it and DRINK A LOT its not worth it IMO, even with getting my wife some drinks with it as well,which you shouldn’t really do, she is a non drinker though so it was just 1 or 2 Cappuccinos each day.

I was averaging around 7 or 8 alcoholic drinks each day and to be honest on more than a few occasions I had a drink simply because I had the package, the most I had was 11 and the following morning I knew about it!!!! And by the time I got off I was feeling a bit sick, from drinking so much more than I usually do.

When I don’t have the package I usually get around 3 to 5 drinks a day most of which is beer and pay the $15 corkage on the 2 bottles of wine we bring on for me to have a glass each night in the restaurant, seeing as they offered a 5 for 4 deal on a bucket of beer, I would have been far better getting that each day, and paying the $31 and then any extra for the odd cocktail I may fancy.

The old price of $59 a day it was worth it, at $87 its not,unless you intend to share, but if caught you could lose the package, not to mention the dishonesty of it, I felt guilty enough getting my wife a few cappuccinos!!!.

I have friends just booked Sea Princess 106 day World Cruise in May, 2019. They are taking the drinks package, cost: $18444 for 2. Now that is a big drink.:o When they get back it will be AA. :(:o

If they get back! Their livers might collapse half way through the cruise. :eek:
I told them that, but they like a drink on a hot day and on a cold day too. Could be more than $18444 by the time they buy a bottle of wine in the MDR each night, even with the 25% discount for having the drinks package.:o

BTW Sea Princess Worldie 2019 is 99% booked out, 99% Aussies.

Edited by NSWP

That's a lot of moolah. And that's why the cruise lines introduced drink packages!

Yes, a captive audience.:p Especially with so many Aussies on board.:')

Add your fare, shorex and drink packages and that is a real lot of moolah.:rolleyes: Perhaps 100K for a couple. Perhaps more.:o Balcony cabin $38000 x 2, Drinks $10000 x 2, shorex $5000 x 2. Win the lottery job.

The suites and mini suites are all sold, ah well, perhaps 2020. lol. I do like the 'Frank Sinatra Suite' on Princess.

Edited by NSWP

I have friends just booked Sea Princess 106 day World Cruise in May, 2019. They are taking the drinks package, cost: $18444 for 2. Now that is a big drink.:o When they get back it will be AA. :(:o

Goodness. I would be willing to pay a tenth of that.

$18444 ÷ 106 days = $174 per day ÷ 2 people = $87...it's not a bad deal really..thats about 8 drinks each if your drinking spirits or cocktails

Regards Westy

But every day ? One needs a break, an AFD or two.:loudcry:Even on a cruise.

I told them that, but they like a drink on a hot day and on a cold day too. Could be more than $18444 by the time they buy a bottle of wine in the MDR each night, even with the 25% discount for having the drinks package.:o

They're planning on buying wine by the bottle in the MDR each night and they are still getting the drinks package? Phew! OK, I can understand buying wine by the bottle - one of the reasons we've stopped getting the drinks package (apart from the price) is that the wines by the glass aren't the greatest, especially the wines we like to drink. I realise that world cruises have lots of sea days but have they taken port days into account? Plus they may get an illness, like the dreaded cruise cough, and not feel like drinking much for a while. Still if they can afford it, the convenience for drinks other than wine is certainly good.

$18444 ÷ 106 days = $174 per day ÷ 2 people = $87...it's not a bad deal really..thats about 8 drinks each if your drinking spirits or cocktails

Regards Westy

And a fair few of those cocktails contain 2,3,4 different spirits!! Fair enough on a holiday you maybe drink more than normal but the medical proffession advise what 2 units per day?? A few cocktails and your suddenly at 12 or more a day:eek:

I was on board for a 12 day cruise drinking around 8 drinks per day, couple of them would have been the Berverly hills iced tea;p 4 top shelf spirits, but by the time i got off i was starting to feel the effects of too much alcohol, imagine doing it for 106 days surely you could not sustain 8 drinks per day, money may be not object for these people but common sense suggests they would be far better off buying as they went as after the first few days or a week, a more normal alcohol intake would be more than likely, unless they are alcoholics of course:evilsmile:

Some good replies on here, thank you. It would be interesting to know how many pax on the World Cruises do pay for the Drinks Package @ $87 per diem pp. There may be quite a few.:D

I haven't done one and may never, I love cruising but do prefer to have stints on the land and do a tour as well. My ideal would be to cruise to a destination, tour around for a week or two and then cruise to the next country and repeat.