Drinks package Versus pay as you go

Those last two posts I'm glad it's their liver and not mine. :D

Remember these people are on holiday and having fun.

Some probably work hard for a living and this is there time to relax.

So give them a break and stop been such a prude

Not exactly true. The more some people drink, the more of a disturbance they can become to others.

yeah but normally its a week to 10 days on holiday, i'd drink that and more, but once at home probably 10% of that.

I am the other way round, drink more at home because it is cheaper than the ships, bottle of red a day keeps the doctor away, so they say.:o

Time to hit Dan Murphys or First Choice Liquor, purchase a few cases of vino on line. The relos drank my stocks at Christmas.

What gives you the right to consider me a prude? We usually have a couple of Scotches before tea, share a bottle of wine with tea, and often an after dinner drink at the show.

Having been a drinker all my adult life, now 73, I can tell you, as so many other drinkers here can also, that the amount of drinks we are discussing regarding those two posts is excessive, and as any doctor would agree, if that level of alcohol intake were to be continued over a 10-14 day period it would be considered foolish, dangerous, and in some cases deadly.

What gives you the right to consider me a prude? We usually have a couple of Scotches before tea, share a bottle of wine with tea, and often an after dinner drink at the show.

Having been a drinker all my adult life, now 73, I can tell you, as so many other drinkers here can also, that the amount of drinks we are discussing regarding those two posts is excessive, and as any doctor would agree, if that level of alcohol intake were to be continued over a 10-14 day period it would be considered foolish, dangerous, and in some cases deadly.

Dr Les agrees with your diagnosis, your drinking habits are about the same as mine. I too have been a drinker for 50 years or so. In my younger days, not uncommon to knock off a dozen schooners on a hot day. No light back then, super all the way.

Personally I feel these Drink Packages, even though they might be limited to 15 drinks a day are not in the spirit of 'Responsible Service of Alcohol.' IMO they can encourage irresponsible consumption of alcohol, in some cases, mind you.

Standby for incoming. Kevlar bullet resistant vest and stab vest being donned as I speak.

I believe its best to take onboard comments to your question from those who have purchased and experienced the all inclusive Drinks packages although all comments are worthy to an extent as many do regret paying for what they cant possibly use.

If you drink moderately you are very likely to find the package very good value because you will more than likely drink much much more than normal on a cruise the same way moderate eaters will well over indulge on cruise food and continue to over indulge the entire cruise even though binge eating is just as bad as binge drinking.

My first experience it wasnt worth the cost as we couldnt drink enough to cover the cost without drinking what we didnt want or need to justify the cost.

My second experience worked out great and we would not hesitate to purchase it again. If you factor in just how much bottled water and premium coffee people are forever consuming in greater than needed quantities these days then coupled with cruise spend alchol and soda then its worth it!

I am not really a coffe drinker or bottled water drinker (or so I thought) until I realized on my recent cruise just how much coffee and bottled water I go through when on holiday.

I certainly drink more on a cruise than I do normally and so for me it is still a close call as to whether I get my money's worth but I like having the cost up front and no risk of bill shock as happened on our first cruise! I can just relax and not overthink whether I would like one more cocktail, but I'm a tight wad so overthink most purchases. I also know that the other half is getting definite value so swings and roundabouts :)

I think we are just getting a little to precious

Remember the topic was are the packages worth it, and they are for most.

Not what you personally think others should or shouldn't drink.

I think we are just getting a little to precious

Remember the topic was are the packages worth it, and they are for most.

Not what you personally think others should or shouldn't drink.

I don't agree that they are for most.

Certainly some get financial value from it, but others just choose it for the sake of prepaying a fixed cost in advance, not that they're financially better off. Many people drink much less than the dollar value - and the cruise lines aren't offering them as a charity to encourage people to drink. Overall they achieve a return from getting people to spend more than they would otherwise, which is the truth of the financial equation for most.

As for the last, it's a discussion forum; maybe some are too precious about where the discussion goes.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure age has a lot to do with who purchases the drink package. As other posters have said, when they were younger they drank a lot more. My wife and I are out at the night clubs to around 1 am most nights. So if i start having a bevy at say 3 pm thats 10 hours of drinking over a long period. I certainly do not get blind rolling drunk. Just having a ball like you want to on a hard earned holiday.

I'm sure age has a lot to do with who purchases the drink package. As other posters have said, when they were younger they drank a lot more. My wife and I are out at the night clubs to around 1 am most nights. So if i start having a bevy at say 3 pm thats 10 hours of drinking over a long period. I certainly do not get blind rolling drunk. Just having a ball like you want to on a hard earned holiday.

yes I agree. not wanting to upset anyone we are all different

That is fine, I too have done that sort of drinking where you can have around a drink every hour but realistically I wouldn't be doing it every day of the cruise that is for sure.

on princess is $86pp per day, p&o is I think $95pp per day.

A couple of weeks ago on the Jewel I think the package was $98 a day now.

Here is another way to view this, the original OP said " im on the Sea Princess to PNG in 3 weeks', so I guess thats at least 10 nights ?, so thats 10x $86 =$860.00.

WOW, who can drink that much money in 10 days ?, in my younger days maybe but not now, I would be tempted to look at it this way, pay as you go, then when you get home deduct what you spent from $860, then spend the rest at your local bottle shop.

A couple of weeks ago on the Jewel I think the package was $98 a day now.

Here is another way to view this, the original OP said " im on the Sea Princess to PNG in 3 weeks', so I guess thats at least 10 nights ?, so thats 10x $86 =$860.00.

WOW, who can drink that much money in 10 days ?, in my younger days maybe but not now, I would be tempted to look at it this way, pay as you go, then when you get home deduct what you spent from $860, then spend the rest at your local bottle shop.

:(:(

I enjoy a drink or two but would be ashamed of myself for spending that much on alcohol

Cheers

:(:(

I enjoy a drink or two but would be ashamed of myself for spending that much on alcohol

Cheers

Same here, I could not sleep at night. If I took the drinks packages on our next 3 Princess cruises, Sapphire Princess x 2 and Royal Princess x 1 = 33 days, we would be up for just on $6000 for 2 pax. Crikey.:o I reckon we can get by on $2000 for 2. @ $60 per day, that is a bottle of wine in the MDR and a couple of pre dinner drinks.

Wow - almost $100 a day for drinks packages! While I like the convenience of having a package - knowing I don't have to sign my life away every time I approach a counter - at that price I'd be giving it a miss as well.

No wonder the 'free perks' sales are popular - a good way to get a drinks package without paying crazy package prices.

Wow - almost $100 a day for drinks packages! While I like the convenience of having a package - knowing I don't have to sign my life away every time I approach a counter - at that price I'd be giving it a miss as well.

No wonder the 'free perks' sales are popular - a good way to get a drinks package without paying crazy package prices.

Don't ever think a drinks package as a perk is free - you will have paid for it somewhere perhaps at a discounted rate but never free.

It honestly depends how much you personally drink, you do have to drink a lot to break even but heck you're on holidays and only live once!

The package also has the following benefits-

- You will explore more beverages and try new things, without actually paying for it you don't mind trying new things as if you don't enjoy something you simply don't drink it and don't need to feel like you wasted money. Without the package I find that I don't stray from the beer I drink at home and a glass of wine or a cocktail a day.

-Non- alcoholic drinks such as coffee, premium tea, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water and milkshakes a luxury that you're probably happy to skip if paying a la carte most the time and these can also add up if you have a few a day.

-An upfront cost is easy to budget and means it isn't on the back of your mind being paranoid about how much you are spending and checking your account to stay on top... more relaxed.

The obvious con of the package is that you have to drink a lot each day to break even and if you maintain this every day of your cruise like is required it could be detrimental to the enjoyment of your vacation!

For me personally I'll take them as a free perk or when they are around the $60 a day mark as I can actually drink that much a day but the $80-100 packages (P&O and Princess) would never provide value for money for me (personally) and I would feel like I had to be smashed the whole time just to get my money back which isn't what you want on holidays!

For me personally I'll take them as a free perk or when they are around the $60 a day mark as I can actually drink that much a day but the $80-100 packages (P&O and Princess) would never provide value for money for me (personally) and I would feel like I had to be smashed the whole time just to get my money back which isn't what you want on holidays!

That's pretty much how we feel, although we actually chose not to get a drinks package on our last cruise, Mediterranean so USD, not because of the cost but because we're bored with the limited number of wines by the glass in varieties that we like.

Don't ever think a drinks package as a perk is free - you will have paid for it somewhere perhaps at a discounted rate but never free.

Noting is free on a cruise ship, internet, mini bar, laundry, cut price drinks, you have paid for it somewhere along the line. Personally, we have spent about $250,000 on cruises since I retired in 2003, some 25 of them, mainly with Princess. So we are quite happy to take our Elite perks. Crikey I could have bought a Winnebago. But then we have enjoyed all the cruises, all over the world.:hearteyes::halo:

Noting is free on a cruise ship, internet, mini bar, laundry, cut price drinks, you have paid for it somewhere along the line. Personally, we have spent about $250,000 on cruises since I retired in 2003, some 25 of them, mainly with Princess. So we are quite happy to take our Elite perks. Crikey I could have bought a Winnebago. But then we have enjoyed all the cruises, all over the world.:hearteyes::halo:

Besides in a Winnebago you have to do all your own cooking and cleaning! You don't have to do that on a cruise. :D