Drinks package Versus pay as you go

The drinks package is dear for us, say 2 bottles of wine per day $80 plus pre dinner either $20 or $40 so total $120 per day for the two of us it is a big step to $170 per day, and port day are less... And bottled wine work well for us, it is like home and bring a pumpie thing to keep wine fresh

Cheers Don

The drinks package is dear for us, say 2 bottles of wine per day $80 plus pre dinner either $20 or $40 so total $120 per day for the two of us it is a big step to $170 per day, and port day are less... And bottled wine work well for us, it is like home and bring a pumpie thing to keep wine fresh

Cheers Don

Hi,so what is this pumpie thing you have

Cheers

I haven't done one and may never, I love cruising but do prefer to have stints on the land and do a tour as well. My ideal would be to cruise to a destination, tour around for a week or two and then cruise to the next country and repeat.

Yep, way we generally operate too. One needs a bit of land travel, we are limited to what we can see from the ports.:hearteyes:

Thanks OzKiwiJJ

that is it... I was to busy drinking a G&T... A wine saver :- a small vacuum pump and rubber corks idea to remove some of air from the bottle hopefully reducing the amount of oxygen and slowing the spoiling of the wine due to oxidation.

Generally works well for day, if you keep the bottle upright.

Sorry about calling a "pumpie thingie" that is what the other half calls it,

Thanks Don

I haven't done one and may never, I love cruising but do prefer to have stints on the land and do a tour as well. My ideal would be to cruise to a destination, tour around for a week or two and then cruise to the next country and repeat.

That’s why we would love to cruise to US, Spend some time tour8ng, on to UK And Europe for more land time then home with, maybe, a few stops.

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2018 at 5:28 PM, zowie57 said:

Don't ever think a drinks package as a perk is free - you will have paid for it somewhere perhaps at a discounted rate but never free.

Nothing for free you are right booked a cruise P&O 2021 ,$1 deposit. The next day the promotion changed to free drinks package funny the cruise price went up by $600 per person

forget the P&O drinks package drinks on P&O are not as badly Priced but Princess Cruises drinks are so much more expensive

basic sweet Moscato $11 per glass bottled light beer $3 more than P&O prices.

I'm tracking our drinks spending on our current cruise, on Sea Princess to Hawaii & Tahiti. For the first two days, even with buying a coffee card and indulging in a fairly expensive wine on the first night, we've spent less than the drinks package cost per person per day. It's going to be interesting to see what the average is at the end of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 5:31 PM, getting older slowly said:

Interesting World Cruise Drinks for 106 day

For two of us at ship prices I would say about $14000

compared to at home price $3800

there must be some Big on Board Accounts on a world cruise

It's a lot of money but if you can go on a world cruise

We have been on long sectors of a WC on three separate occasions. I noticed that people tend to spend less per day on drinks etc. than they do on shorter cruises. A few people told us they weren't buying drinks at all because of the cost on a long cruise.

12 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

We usually buy a drinks card before we go cruising. It has our name on it and it works just like a credit card. If you want to check your balance, you just ask any bartender. It's pretty convenient.

Rick

Is this with the cruise line. Which one? I haven't heard of this, only a drinks package that has a cost per day.

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm tracking our drinks spending on our current cruise, on Sea Princess to Hawaii & Tahiti. For the first two days, even with buying a coffee card and indulging in a fairly expensive wine on the first night, we've spent less than the drinks package cost per person per day. It's going to be interesting to see what the average is at the end of the cruise.

We don’t buy the packages, so are interested in how you go with this 🤔

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Is this with the cruise line. Which one? I haven't heard of this, only a drinks package that has a cost per day.

As stated earlier, this is on Holland America Line and suits us fine. I bought a $250.00 card last year on a 21 day back to back cruise through Norway and the Baltic ports. It basically lasted the whole cruise and I had a few bucks left at the end. 

I'll be doing it again in December on our Caribbean cruise.

Rick

We usually drink a bottle of wine per day (or a bit less than a full bottle). With the present prices on board, I think we will take some bottles when we board and pay the $15 corkage. The two bottles we can take without the corkage charge, can be used for a drink with nibbles in the cabin, or take a full glass out on deck at sailaway.

12 hours ago, Rickster50 said:

As stated earlier, this is on Holland America Line and suits us fine. I bought a $250.00 card last year on a 21 day back to back cruise through Norway and the Baltic ports. It basically lasted the whole cruise and I had a few bucks left at the end. 

I'll be doing it again in December on our Caribbean cruise.

Rick

Rickster50,

Does the option to buy these cards affect your choice of cruise line ie. HAL over Princess (and lots of others) for  example?

As having cruised with various lines, I think HAL might be the only one that offers this option (though I’m probably wrong 😊). 

Just curious 🤔

NB: RCI offers a 10 Drink Punch Card on “some” cruises (US based probably) for $96US - can be used by anyone who has the card. 🧐 Interesting development ......... love Google 💕

https://www.cruzely.com/everything-to-know-about-royal-caribbeans-10-drink-cards/

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Rickster50,

Does the option to buy these cards affect your choice of cruise line ie. HAL over Princess (and lots of others) for  example?

As having cruised with various lines, I think HAL might be the only one that offers this option (though I’m probably wrong 😊). 

Just curious 🤔

NB: RCI offers a 10 Drink Punch Card on “some” cruises (US based probably) for $96US - can be used by anyone who has the card. 🧐 Interesting development ......... love Google 💕

https://www.cruzely.com/everything-to-know-about-royal-caribbeans-10-drink-cards/

Porky55,

We sailed on Viking back in January and they simply added whatever drinks you consumed to your Cabin #. I believe HAL is the only cruise line to have this option beverage card. No real possible "nasty surprises" at the end of the cruise.😮...my 2cents.

Rick