Will I be bored on HAL?

newcruiser1956

Will I be bored on Hal?

Considering HAL vs NCL to Alaska. I just got home from a cruise on Carnival and was bored out of my mind. I do not do art auctions, refused to pay the crazy cost for one bingo card, not good at trivia so really do not enjoy it.

Are there other things to do on the ship? Cards? Dancing lessons etc?

I do not want to be on a ship with 4000 people on it, race tracks and lots of kids like the NCL Bliss, I would like to be on a ship that has some things to do.

Which ship would I be happier on?

I have been on both NCL and HAL and much prefer HAL. The cruise I took on NCL was a party, party, party. Lots of young people over drinking the first 2 days (there was a free drinks promo) then we hit rough seas and had hung over, vomiting young people. Overall I had a good cruise with lots to do but it was not the atmosphere I was looking for on a cruise.

There were no dance lessons on any cruise I have taken in the last 5 years. I think those are still on Cunard and Princess but I may be mistaken. On HAL I have seen card games being offered in the daily activities.

We don’t cruise for the wave pools, water slides and go carts but have never been bored on any cruise. We usually enjoy most music, game shows, movies and shows offered on a cruise.

It really depends on how much you're looking to do. On the Alaska cruise they do have park rangers come on board to explain about the glaciers as you go into the ice fields. MicroSoft has classes on Windows10 & all you can do in relation to photography with it, they're free.The ships are smaller, depending what time of year there will be kids on board. What ever ship or cruise line you decide, enjoy.

Allan

Alaska is primarily about the ports and scenery, not the specific ship or cruise line. The atmosphere on board all ships in Alaska is more relaxed and may not offer as many activities as you will find on a Caribbean itinerary.

I would research the ports and find things that interest you, then pick an itinerary that spends the most time in those ports. HAL and Princess will have the most trips to Glacier Bay, if that is important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you were bored on a Carnival cruse, then I seriously doubt that HAL would be a good fit for you. HAL is not known for it's entertainment. We enjoy the quiet elegance on a HAL ship, but it may not provide you with enough options. Alaska is very port intensive, so that may be enough for you. Celebrity might be a better choice. Lots of entertainment. Sophisticated decor and a more upscale experience. A huge step up from Carnival, IMHO.

• Like 1

I think folks who enjoy HAL the most have some ability to entertain them self’s, I am not see that in your OP.
I agree. When I hear someone say "I'm going on a cruise, will I be bored?" I think that perhaps cruising is not for you. Boredom is not in my vocabulary, especially on a ship. I don't need to read the "daily activities" sheets. We are perfectly happy just doing our own thing in our own time. I really think that younger people have become so accustomed to constant stimulation, they don't know how to stop and just smell the roses.

If you bore easily, try a land tour for a change. The tour company will have you up by 6am, eating breakfast at 7, and on the bus (coach as they say) by 8-8:30. They will run your butt all over your touring area ALL day till at least 5 or 5:30, then funnel you into dinner, and then you may have a few hours to relax in the evening until you need to go to bed to do it all over again the next day. Land tours are not for the faint of heart, they require stamina depending on their length. You are on the go all the time. If you bore easily, this may be the vacation for you. I have taken many of them, and have enjoyed all of them but are finding them increasingly exhausting. Cruises for us are looking better all the time. Nice and relaxing once onboard! No packing and unpacking, we can take the trip at our own pace, not someone else's. No hurrying to get off the bus, see whatever there is to see, and hurry back to the bus to move on to the next sightseeing stop. So it all depends on how energetic you are. I had boundless energy when I was younger, but now I like to take things a little slower. It's all a matter of travel style you prefer. Just a thought for you. I feel if you are bored on Carnival, you will really wonder what there is to do on HAL. It is a quieter, more sedate experience that we find more and more enjoyable as we age. Consider everything before booking, as I would not want you to be disappointed in your vacation.

I am never bored on a cruise ship. I like to read, sometimes on the deck where I can also people watch. I enjoy walking around each deck, sitting by the pool, etc. I just don’t let myself get bored, but I don’t have to be busy every minute. I agree, cruising may not be for you.

I agree. When I hear someone say "I'm going on a cruise, will I be bored?" I think that perhaps cruising is not for you. Boredom is not in my vocabulary, especially on a ship. I don't need to read the "daily activities" sheets. We are perfectly happy just doing our own thing in our own time. I really think that younger people have become so accustomed to constant stimulation, they don't know how to stop and just smell the roses.

This is close to the best advice I've seen on CC. If someone needs to be kept entertained and has already identified much of what happens on a cruise ship as not being of interest, that person needs to consider other options.

A cruise could be something different from your daily activities. Or not!

I read at home and I read on a cruise ship. The difference is that there are meals served that are different than what I usually get at home. There are people who I can chat with who are different from those at home. I can get off the ship and explore different things (and sometimes, I don't get off - Aruba 12 times so far). I don't have a piano player at home, as there is on a cruise ship. I don't have the opportunity to view 'things' from up high (The Crow's Nest) when I am at home. I don't often have the opportunity to hear live classical music at home as I might on a Holland America Line ship.

To each his own. Possibly, the OP could elaborate what other experiences have been seen negatively.

Jim

NCL is completely different from the other mid-market mainstream cruise lines: HAL, Princess and Celebrity.

You should try Princess in Alaska. It also sails into Glacier Bay (which IMO is a MUST) but has more entertainment options which may be of interest to you. Alaska is all about the ports and excursions. There will be one or two sea days but you should be able to find enough to do during those days. HAL and Princess have overlapping demographics (approximately ages 55+) but there will be families with children during the summer in Alaska. HAL is definitely more sedate. Food is about the same.

What bores you?

Ports

At-Sea days

Consecutive sea days

Evenings

Musical venue choices

Number of in-cabin TV options

Choice of DVD's available in cabin

Only one movie in the theater each day

Mix of passengers

Food options

One hour lapses of time

Four hour lapses of time

15 minute lapses of time

Fitness activity choices

Enrichment activity choices

Waiting for a pizza or Dive-In choice

Spa activity choices

Pounding the 360 degree promenade deck racking up 4 laps to a mile

Lack of library choices for your own interests

Lack of easily accessible wifi onboard

President of Carnival Cruise Lines, parent company of HAL described the HAL brand as "...Midwestern, for those who don't even live in the midwest". Whether this is a compliment or a put down is a matter of taste. For us, it was a perfect and very welcome description of the low-key, solid and traditional nature of HAL cruising. Needless to say, others would find this description fatally ....boring.

On a cruise ship you cannot decide to go hang out at a mall, or drive to the nearest grocery to pick up the butter you forgot yesterday, or watch the 187 cable channels you have at home, or vacuum the family room, or match your socks after taking them from the dryer, or complain to your neighbor about what his child (or dog) did on your lawn.

Of course, on a cruise ship you can look at the sea, or experience previously unseen ports, or talk with people you'd never met before, have meals prepared for you, take advantage of lectures or on board entertainment.

There is always a trade-off involved in any change of activity.

If you want to visit Alaska via a cruise, then having people tell you that a cruise is not for you isn't very helpful. :D

I would look at Princess. IMO, they do Alaska well and usually have an excellent naturalist onboard who -- in addition to providing commentary during specific parts of the sailing -- usually will give 2-3 lectures on related topics.

Also, Princess is much better at filling the day with entertainment options, especially on their newer ships where they have a purpose-built lounge for lots of the "tv game show" type passenger participation games that are fun to watch even if you don't participate. (A bit too much of this for me, but some of it is good fun.)

In their Atrium area, it seems there is often something going on -- live music, and yes, some dance lessons.

Princess often has a few smaller shows going on in the later evening hours as well, which I appreciate as a night owl.

In short, there's no guarantee that you won't be bored, but you'll probably be less likely to experience boredom on a Princess ship.

Will I be bored on Hal?

Considering HAL vs NCL to Alaska. I just got home from a cruise on Carnival and was bored out of my mind. I do not do art auctions, refused to pay the crazy cost for one bingo card, not good at trivia so really do not enjoy it.

Are there other things to do on the ship? Cards? Dancing lessons etc?

I do not want to be on a ship with 4000 people on it, race tracks and lots of kids like the NCL Bliss, I would like to be on a ship that has some things to do.

Which ship would I be happier on?

There are many things to do on the ship on the HAL cruises we’ve taken...but the shortest has been 30 days so I suspect those have more choices of things to do than a shorter cruise. I agree with others that it is helpful to be able to entertain yourself on any cruise ship.

Consider checking out reviews of HAL Alaska cruises and see if any have the published daily schedule then look at that to see if you would be bored. Also, keep an open mind and consider trying something new - you might enjoy it more than you think. Do the same thing with Celebrity and Princess. Then choose which one works for you. We used Princess for Alaska and I remember several activities to choose from.

You are the only one that can answer your questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thy trivia. It’s not all snou5 the knowledge but a great place to meet people. My husband and I are not so great at trivia but add a lawyer and a school teacher to your group and you have a chance. We have met the nicest people playing trivia.

Will I be bored on Hal?

I cruised HAL to Alaska last summer. I enjoyed Alaska but probably will not travel on HAL again. I am used to Royal Caribbean where there is an active roll call on Cruise Critic and then 100+ at the Meet & Mingle. This benefit barely existed on HAL.

To me the HAL ship was dark and depressing. I enjoy the evening entertainment on Royal but on HAL we had the same entertainer for three nights out of the seven. A few evenings I went to the theater, sat in the back and left after a few minutes. I did spend more time listening to classical music and to the band at BB Kings. The music on the TV in the cabin must have been from the 1930s as I had never heard any of it and I was raised on music. The food was average.

I will say HAL gave me long port times and they were really good with my transfers after the cruise (train from Seward to Anchorage, hotel and then to the airport the next day).

I would like to return to Alaska one day and will probably look at Princess, Celebrity or Royal for that trip. I do know in the Caribbean, Royal offers dance classes, cards, talks from the captain, etc.

Hope you find a good fit for you and enjoy Alaska!

Patti

If you were bored on a Carnival cruse, then I seriously doubt that HAL would be a good fit for you. HAL is not known for it's entertainment. We enjoy the quiet elegance on a HAL ship, but it may not provide you with enough options. Alaska is very port intensive, so that may be enough for you. Celebrity might be a better choice. Lots of entertainment. Sophisticated decor and a more upscale experience. A huge step up from Carnival, IMHO.

I agree. Celebrity is a better choice than HAL. NCL is a family cruise line just like Carnival. The food and entertainment I’m Celebrity is the best I’ve experienced

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure which HAL ship got described as "dark and depressing" but our experience pretty much across the line has been just the opposite - dining room full of windows, wide open promenade deck, lots of out door seating, and public areas also full of windows. The Zuiderdam at one time was dark woods and burgundies but I think that has long since changed. The immediate feeling of being at sea is the signature feeling I get on HAL ships. Which may not be enough for those who do like more indoor activities.

Fusty and traditional decor - I can easily go along with that when describing many HAL ships.. But dark and depressing would be a real stretch for me. The size of them alone makes getting out and about so much easier. Celebrity however has long been known for more of a wow factor in its decor. Princess ships are thee ones I have heard that feel more enclosed, dark and old world clubby feeling.

But when it comes to a stream of activities to entice and distract -that is not HAL's long suit and it is geared for an older demographic music and entertainment wise. Be forewarned. But less so since we hardly recognized any of the songs on our last cruise - they have left our "older" demographic behind - no more 195001960's stuff that we found sooooo comfortable for us. Okay, okay, we are old.

But it is probably all the way now down to the 1980's and 1990's now, unless one is having breakfast at the outdoor tables by the pool - then is is pure 2020 contemporary because I suspect the crew gets to set the dial.

Not sure which HAL ship got described as "dark and depressing" but our experience pretty much across the line has been just the opposite - dining room full of windows, wide open promenade deck, lots of out door seating, and public areas also full of windows. The Zuiderdam at one time was dark woods and burgundies but I think that has long since changed. The immediate feeling of being at sea is the signature feeling I get on HAL ships. Which may not be enough for those who do like more indoor activities.

Fusty and traditional decor - I can easily go along with that when describing many HAL ships.. But dark and depressing would be a real stretch for me. The size of them alone makes getting out and about so much easier. Celebrity however has long been known for more of a wow factor in its decor. Princess ships are thee ones I have heard that feel more enclosed, dark and old world clubby feeling.

I think the OP is talking about the decor. And in general, I have to disagree that Princess is 'dark and clubby' -- there is a much greater use of lighter colors and lighter wood tones. Possible exception is her one remaining R ship, but that's not Princess's build....

Take a look, for example at this photo of the atrium on the Eurodam and compare it with the photo of the Ruby Princess's atrium. Both ships were launched within a year of each other, so there's not an issue of one being more 'dated' than the other.

HAL Eurodam:

1-eurodam.jpg

Ruby Princess:

princess-cruises-inside.jpg