When you find a great deal on a cruise but the airfare kills it!

lbjen

I found a great deal on a European cruise this summer but man, the airfare is twice what the cruise is! Gutted!

Have you the ability to use Royal's Air2Sea service? That can save a bunch of money.

Have you the ability to use Royal's Air2Sea service? That can save a bunch of money.

Did you check Air 2 Sea through Royal Caribbean? The usually have great rates on European flights.

Bob - once again your lightning fast keyboard beat me to the punch. :D

I found a great deal on a European cruise this summer but man, the airfare is twice what the cruise is! Gutted!

We Europeans feel the same way about cruises in the Caribbean :-)

(Check the prices over a long period. TA-flights may release bargains 6-12 weeks before departure)

Just want to clarify that it's unfair to compare cruise fares to flight fares. They're two completely separate sets of economics and are priced as such - cruises are basically just a hotel on sea (with many other streams of revenue that cruise lines charge for beyond just the fare itself), whereas air travel is a mode of transportation with few additional ways that the airline can pull in revenue (luggage, and sometimes seat and meal fees, but not much else).

If you are booking a cruise in 2019, will they quote a price for air to sea now?

The flight you want to take normally has to be within 330 days to get a real price. Some airlines allow booking farther out, but I've never seen good prices from those.

Not just Europe, I've found great deals on cruises in Alaska or Caribbean only to be killed by outrageous airfare.

Good luck in finding your airfare!

You're a touch late for "cheaper" fares this close to flying.

Use ITA Matrix website for price search (no tix purchases).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just want to clarify that it's unfair to compare cruise fares to flight fares. They're two completely separate sets of economics and are priced as such - cruises are basically just a hotel on sea (with many other streams of revenue that cruise lines charge for beyond just the fare itself), whereas air travel is a mode of transportation with few additional ways that the airline can pull in revenue (luggage, and sometimes seat and meal fees, but not much else).

If you look at the price of a ticket, you will find the ticket is very cheap. Sometimes as much as 50% of the cost of flying is taxes. So if you get a $1000.00 ticket, the airlines get $560.00. I also found flights to Asia, the airlines share is higher, but the taxes lower. Europe air has some of the highest taxes.

(air2sea will save you money)

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately AIR2SEA came in at around the same as the other flights I’d found. It’s for the Vision 12 nighter out of Barcelona on June 19th, I could get all 4 of us into an inside for under $5k which would have been an awesome deal, on a cruise we’ve been wanting to take for a long time, but I knew the flights would make it impossible. I’ll have to hold out for a deal out of Southampton, it’s easier to find cheap flights to London from where I am.

I was actually just trying it out, we are already booked but was kinda curious. It was a little weird Boston was an invalid airport

Not sure why you are getting Boston as an invalid airport. I priced our Alaska cruise air using the link in this thread with no issues. We would also be flying out of Boston and I got prices Boston to Anchorage with no problems.

If you look at the price of a ticket, you will find the ticket is very cheap. Sometimes as much as 50% of the cost of flying is taxes. So if you get a $1000.00 ticket, the airlines get $560.00. I also found flights to Asia, the airlines share is higher, but the taxes lower. Europe air has some of the highest taxes.

(air2sea will save you money)

Taxes are completely dependent on your origin, destination, and possibly connection point. Some places have very low taxes/fees, some have very high.

Air 2 Sea MAY save you money. It may not. It completely depends on where you're flying. For example, in the vast majority of cases, using cruise ship air to fly domestically in the US will do little more than add a middle man between you and the airline.

But it's still the case that cruising and flying are two incredibly different economic models that are, unfairly, compared on this website way too often.