Sooooo.... about that snorkel gear...

goldgirl2

We will be taking our adult children on a cruise. Two have never been and they do not have their own snorkel gear. We have always used our own. How sanitary is the snorkel gear they give you on an excursion? Particularly from Native way in Grand Cayman.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There website address is http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

On their website, there is an email address to contact them.

It looks like they have been in business since 1999 and their tripadvisor reviews receive high marks. I would shoot them an email and ask them about their sanitizing process for their snorkel equipment. If you are concerned, just purchase a mask and snorkel and use their fins. It will be much less to pack if you just take the mask and snorkel. I always take my own equipment, but for someone that has never snorkeled before, it could be a one time event.

We will be taking our adult children on a cruise. Two have never been and they do not have their own snorkel gear. We have always used our own. How sanitary is the snorkel gear they give you on an excursion? Particularly from Native way in Grand Cayman.

I have not used that particular company, but we have taken a few excursions that had snorkel gear and snorkels were in a bucket of "sanitizer". We had our own equipment and used that.

I bought a set from Costco last year before my Disney cruise, worked out really well at Castaway Cay (private island). I can’t wait to use it again on my next Royal Caribbean cruise on Adventure later this year!

We've used Nativeway twice now and both times have used their gear. We own snorkel gear that's nothing fancy, but usually I don't feel like packing it. Was always cleaned well, and in both visits never had any issues. They will be just fine using the provided gear.

It's soaked in a bleach solution strong enough to kill any germs or virus. No worries! I've NEVER heard of anyone contracting a sickness or disease from using the provided gear.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that... How does a Noro break out start if it was not brought aboard by someone?

I wouldn’t be so sure about that... How does a Noro break out start if it was not brought aboard by someone?

Do you even know how Norovirus spreads?

It is spread by fecal/vomitus contact that is then transferred to the mouth by dirty hands.

Unless the snorkel equipment is coated in poop or vomit and placed in the mouth, I wouldn't suspect the snorkel equipment.

I snorkel regularly on my cruises - Western and Southern routes. In a day of easily communicable diseases via the mouth, it's a pretty easy decision to bring your own mask/snorkel or better yet full face snorkel mask for your cruises. If the one you purchased come with fins, leave those at home and bring the rest of the gear, including a carry bag. Most excursions include all equipment rental, so it's not costing more to use their fins and vest. Enjoy your reef!!!

I cannot just put gear in my mouth that I am not sure of. I will continue to bring my own on board or not snorkel!!! Not worth the risk ever in my mind. Not sure if the products they use to sanitize have been used for a day/week/month etc without being replaced!! not worth my life to find out!!!!!!

I snorkel daily ( when I am at home ) and would strongly suggest buying your own gear.

Primarily, for the reason, --- if the folks in your group are NOT familiar with snorkeling, its a waste of time to fiddle with it on the day of the excursion. That just wastes time you are paying for..... to adjust it, and try it, and re-adjust and try it again.

Get it now, practice at home ( in some pool ) or even the bathtub.

I am sure the ""extent"" of the cleansing of rental equipment varies from place to place, from excellent to lousy.

If you are concerned (or they are) Costco sells sets at a very reasonable price-worth it for peace of mind. We took our own that we bought at Costco. If you think you won't have enough room in luggage just leave the fins at home like the other poster suggested.

First of all I am a qualified diving Instructor. In the past I have distributed Scuba gear to various students and taught them how to share each other's regulators in order to share the gas they are diving with. To the best of my knowledge they are all very much alive, or at least haven't died or become ill from this activity. The rental gear has included wetsuits, fins, snorkels and masks.

So what is it that you are sharing when you use a mask, fins & snorkel which is a part of the hire gear? All the kit is suitable for use in water, so can be rinsed off at the end of the day. Whether this is actually done is down to the good practice of any operator. After the gear should be allowed to dry overnight for use the next day. This is normally sufficient to kill of any germs.

So how is the gear prepared and used?

Firstly the snorkel: You're going to bite (not too hard) on the mouthpiece and breathe through the short tube. Normal practice is to rinse it after use and allow it to dry.

When in use the snorkel tube is used for breathing through. Any excess water may go out of a drain valve (many modern snorkel have this) or spat out through the tube. Since the whole tube should be rinsed after use, there should be no issues.

So what about the mask? There are essentially two ways to prepare a mask. The first, and environmentally the better option, is to spit in it. Then wipe it over the glass and rinse the spit out. It sounds like a foul bad habit, but it is the best method and it's always fun seeing the eyes of children light up as they realise that I'm telling them to do this in front of their parents too. A big mistake which some new people do is to rinse the mask first. Please don't as the mask will fog up.

The other option is to use a 'defogging' spray or some other chemical solution. Following on from the 'Blue Planet II' series, more people are becoming aware of micro plastics and other harmful chemicals that are killing our corals, so please be very careful about these options. Some people have suggested environmentally safe baby shampoo as it can do a similar job. Providing that they are safe for the corals and watered down, they can be a good alternative.

For people with long hair it's a good idea to tie it back. Many women time their hair in a bun. Some divers in warmer waters wear things such as bandanas to protect their hair. They are also great for ‘follically challenged’ people out there as they can protect from sunburn. Both of these 'tricks' keep your hair from getting caught in the mask strap. A nice colourful bandana is also a great way to identify a specific individual. Try not to pick blue or black as you'll have difficulty identifying them in the water.

After use the mask should be rinsed off and allowed to dry overnight.

Fins essentially come in two different styles. There is the full-foot and the open heel strap fin. If you are supplied fins, then mostly it'll be the full-foot type. These are generally fine for most people. Don't require too much additional knowledge and work well. These fins are easily rinsed and dried overnight for use the next day.

As a diver I prefer the open-heel strap fins. This is purely because I can wear boots that allow me to walk over rough ground when out of the water and they keep my feet warm during a long dive. These fins don't actually make contact with skin, but the boots do and need rinsing after use.

Generally you do not need to use things like bleach or washing up liquid to clean any Scuba kit. Bleach will damage the gear, so personally I wouldn't be happy if someone wanted to rinse my own mask with it. There are other maintenance issues and periodically some pieces of Scuba gear need a more thorough rinse, but these aren't being used by snorkelers.

The sea itself is salty. This is generally a good method to clean off any unsuspecting germs. The UV rays of the sun are also a good method to kill of other bacteria too. In practice it is the salt water which can cause damage to the gear you are using, hence fresh water is the best solution.

Whomever you go snorkelling with should not be taking you to an area that is polluted, so any water-born bugs should be minimal.

As a side note: Can I ask you all to be respectful of the places where you go snorkelling please? When using the 'head' pay attention to any instructions and signs about what can or can't be flushed. If you have any rubbish, please make use of any bins on the boat or beach. Set an example and do your bit to keep the ocean clean.

Thank you.

Thanks for the comprehensive post on the snorkeling gear. We were debating buying and carrying for a couple of our family that want to go snorkeling, in spite of the fact that we like to pack light. I think we will probably be using a reputable company and using their snorkeling gear.

That's alright #griffy116. Personally I prefer to ue my own kit as I know it well and look after it. Of course I'm in a different category to those who just want to go on a boat or beach for the day and go snorkelling.

There are a few of things to help anyone though:

1. Often most snorkel trips get very little information about snorkelling or the local reefs. They should get a safety briefing, but such briefings may not be a requirement in a particula country or be poorly understood. For this reason I would recommend that you spend a little time learning about the local area.
  2. When I was guiding and instructing Scuba diving I would have a local fish ID book with me. If you get an opportunity to pick one up, it really can be a good way to appreciate more about what you are seeing. There are many plastic cards and large format books out there. Any will make a good start to helping you identify what it is you are seeing.
  3. Find out about the local waters and any relevant safety points (i.e. don't swim when the red flags are flying)
  4. When in the water always make sure that you are in sight of the shore/boat and avoid the area where there is a current. It doesn't need to be that strong to carry you away.
  5. Divers are taught to dive in buddy pairs. This philosophy has been carried into the snorkel training for many agencies with one up, one down. If you are snorkelling alone in the water, make sure someone who knows you is watching on the shore/boat
  6. Please don't pick up or grab a hold of anything in the water. Please don't walk al over the coral. Not only are there corals and fish which can cause you harm, it also damages it. Permanently.
    Sadly I have seen many reefs wrecked where careless operators have been. Some corals can grow as fast as 1mm per year.
  7. Please feel free to take only pictures and leave only bubbles. If you have a GoPro and a selfie stick, set the GoPro to record video and take a picture every 5 seconds or so. This way if you would like a nice picture and video, you have both.
    Please do not take souvenirs from the sea. They look better there and often shells provide homes for other animals. Consider that you are one of say 30 people on a boat. There may be 10 other boats going out that same day. That's 300 people. Tomorrow they'll likely be doing the same trip with another set of 300 guests. This can be repeated every day, all year. If everyone took just 1 shell or 1 rock, there would be nothing left for next year.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. This is not a comprehensive list and there are courses available to teach people to snorkel if you are interested. Personally I started snorkelling as a child and progressed on to diving as a young adult. I love the sea and love the freedom of swimming in it. There is a lot to see and do but please respect it.