MSC Seaside is (gasp!) European

DCGuy64

I love love love Celebrity! I'm booked on EDGE as well. I can't wait. I'm as excited about that prototype ship as I was for Seaside. For me Seaside did not disappoint, and I hope Edge doesn't either.

Great minds think a like! We were on Seaside with you two weeks ago and are also booked on Celebrity Edge! We love Celebrity as well. They seem to put out a consistently strong product. Our Seaside cruise convinced us to also consider MSC again in the future as I thought for the very reasonable fares the experience was excellent.

I don't get these assertions from some about first class vs. other passengers. We were in a Fantastica balcony and we never were made in anyway to feel "less than". Service all week was excellent. Didn't even think about Yacht Club and the fact they were were restricted from going there. Far too many other options to worry about something so silly.

I also do not understand the comments about what MSC needs to do to appeal more to US customers. As if ALL Americans have the same priorities/wants/needs. There were plenty of options both in the buffet and main dining room for those with typical American palates : steaks, grilled salmon, baked chicken, ceasar salads, shrimp cocktails. Ooh, so foreign! Buffet had pizza, burgers, chicken nuggets, carving station, some kind of baked protein (chicken or fish usually), mac and cheese. So exotic! We preferred to choose the more international options and enjoyed just about everything we tried (one soup in the main dining room left something to be desired, but otherwise no complaints).

Service everywhere was very friendly and warm, just more reserved and polished which is our preference.

We like most of the US lines we have sailed on, particularly Celebrity and Royal, but its nice to have different experiences. Hope MSC never becomes overly "Americanized", but stays a unique presence in the US market.

Bea ... I have had black pudding, how could I not living just miles from where it began, not over keen on it though. It's the White pudding that I had not heard of.

MSC are like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, there is no in-between.

This is grand news. I will LOVE MSC Seaside then! (Any chance of scoring a jar in April? ;)

I am not a troll. I am well-traveled and have above average reading comprehension. I understand the "experiences" very well. I think that MSC will have a very difficult time selling Americans on this caste system. Even the ones who can only afford "bella". They will not like it and I think bad word of mouth will sink them.

Have you ever flown on a plane? I'd love to pay a coach price and have a fully reclining seat.

Stayed at a 3-star or better hotel? An executive suite would be super swell at a double queen price point.

Bought an automobile? Buy a Chevy Aveo and get the bells and whistles of a Cadillac or Lexus? Heck yeah.

You get what you pay for. If you want what the vendor deems perks, you have to pay extra for it. If My Time Dining is that important to you and your family, and you are not willing to pay the upgrade for that, perhaps MSC isn't a good fit. At least you are informed and can make that decision whether or not to book.

Great minds think a like! We were on Seaside with you two weeks ago and are also booked on Celebrity Edge! We love Celebrity as well. They seem to put out a consistently strong product. Our Seaside cruise convinced us to also consider MSC again in the future as I thought for the very reasonable fares the experience was excellent.

I don't get these assertions from some about first class vs. other passengers. We were in a Fantastica balcony and we never were made in anyway to feel "less than". Service all week was excellent. Didn't even think about Yacht Club and the fact they were were restricted from going there. Far too many other options to worry about something so silly.

I also do not understand the comments about what MSC needs to do to appeal more to US customers. As if ALL Americans have the same priorities/wants/needs. There were plenty of options both in the buffet and main dining room for those with typical American palates : steaks, grilled salmon, baked chicken, ceasar salads, shrimp cocktails. Ooh, so foreign! Buffet had pizza, burgers, chicken nuggets, carving station, some kind of baked protein (chicken or fish usually), mac and cheese. So exotic! We preferred to choose the more international options and enjoyed just about everything we tried (one soup in the main dining room left something to be desired, but otherwise no complaints).

Service everywhere was very friendly and warm, just more reserved and polished which is our preference.

We like most of the US lines we have sailed on, particularly Celebrity and Royal, but its nice to have different experiences. Hope MSC never becomes overly "Americanized", but stays a unique presence in the US market.

I’m with you 100% on all counts. I feel exactly the same way.

While I enjoyed being in the YC this last cruise, it’s rare I do something like this and 99% of the time I’m in a regular cabin. This goes for MSC, NCL, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Disney, and Celebrity which all have private areas just for suite passengers. When I’m not in one I don’t even think about it and it in no way impacts my cruise negatively.

Well said! My wife is a vegetarian, I'm an omnivore. I love spicy foods, she doesn't. She drinks tea, I drink coffee. Gosh, why did we even get married, LOL? :') But seriously, there is NO ONE AMERICAN palate, absolutely! I'm a little baffled about our friend Spaniel Lover's comments regarding the buffet. IIRC he said the buffet only offered hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken strips. Was that for lunch? Anyway, I've read other reviews that say there were many other offerings, such as some of those you mentioned (mac 'n cheese, carving station, baked pasta, etc.) Maybe they're offering more now than when he was aboard?

Also, and don't shoot the messenger here, but the gluten-free thing is just a fad. Go online and research when they ask supposedly gluten intolerant people what gluten is, and they can't answer it. Also give this article a read: https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/06/11/think-youre-sensitive-to-gluten-think-again. It says among other things that 86 percent of people claiming to be gluten intolerant actually CAN tolerate it. And only 1% of the US population has celiac disease and CAN'T have gluten. Please let's not start forcing the cruise lines to label things "gluten-free" or worse, start substituting gluten-free items for the real thing out of a false assumption that gluten intolerance is rampant. It's not. (perhaps Jim Zim's wife is one of these people but if so, she's in a very small minority) This will be like the fat-free, sugar free and carb free fads. When I'm on vacation, I want real pasta and real pizza. If you're truly gluten intolerant, ask the chef, eat stuff that doesn't have it or stay home.

Glad to see some other Edge people. We are also booked on Edge for next February. Heading out on Seaside next week. Loved Divina twice. Of course I can't think of I cruise I didn't really enjoy (including unlisted ones from the 90's) except Allure in December. Even that wasn't terrible, just not for us.

I hate being one who criticizes the critics, but I have a hard time understanding when people say a cruise was awful, or worse yet a whole cruise ship or line! I definitely notice differences in service, food, entertainment, and clientele among ships, but see them as just that - differences. To say any of these were terrible and others should avoid them would be to say that I am the arbiter of all things. It's fine to say one preferred one line over another, or that they found service on one ship less accommodating/friendly than that of another. But I would never presume that my experience is indicative of the entire ship. All I can say is life is what you make it.

What some people appear to miss is that there are people who book lower end cabins but can actually afford the YC but choose not to.

We could book YC if we wanted to, but then we wouldn't be able to cruise as often as we do. To us that's not worth it. We have booked Fantastica.

An acquaintance of mine always book the YC but they do not cruise as often instead. Different priorities and values.

We haven't cruised with MSC, but the it's the same with other lines. Different cabins have different prices.

We have been able to cruise two times every year since 2015 and doing land vacations and that's worth more for us then a fancy cabin.

We could book YC if we wanted to, but then we wouldn't be able to cruise as often as we do. To us that's not worth it. We have booked Fantastica.

An acquaintance of mine always book the YC but they do not cruise as often instead. Different priorities and values.

We haven't cruised with MSC, but the it's the same with other lines. Different cabins have different prices.

We have been able to cruise two times every year since 2015 and doing land vacations and that's worth more for us then a fancy cabin.

YC balcony suite cabin prices aren't much higher than a deluxe balcony on other lines plus it offers so much more!!

Lots of talk about carving stations in the buffet but I haven't seen many comments about what meats are actually being served at those carving stations. Any info to share on that?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I can only speak for divina. It is my understanding there are NO carving stations on seaside for dinner. I have seen YouTube clips of carving stations at marketplace during lunch.

On divina there was meatloaf, turkey, flounder, ham. There was a beef one night but it had a weird name I have never heard of and was very low grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YC balcony suite cabin prices aren't much higher than a deluxe balcony on other lines plus it offers so much more!!

Well read that I wroth. To us, it's not WFM. If we are able to save some on two cruises we will be able to do land vacations in the Med for what we saved. To us that's WFM.

Sailed on the Divina out of Miami three years ago. Gorgeous ship, great entertainment. But an Italian ship ought to know the difference between fettuccini and spaghetti. Ordered the former off the menu, got the latter. Service in MDR was lackadaisical and food in buffet below standard. Hits and misses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought the same thing going on. My ravioli was mushy and smothered in brown gravy and my pasta in egg sauce was so salty it was inedible. So they don’t do pasta well. But the pizza was amazing. Once I got over looking for morning grits (there are none), I found items I did enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You say it so well, and you are so right. We can't wait for our MSC sail this coming June. If I wanted an American experience I would just stay right where I am now...boring! I look forward to interacting with other cultures to the extent that that is possible on a cruise. Jim Zims reviews are great but it gets wearisome hearing how MSC should deliver ersatz pizza, American-style, instead or real Italian pizza, just because he likes it with ten times the sauce and cheese. The nerve of MSC to act like an Italian cruise line. Why not just stay at home and eat at Pizza Hut? If all cruise restaurants were American-style, it would not please everyone. Those looking for a departure from American cuisine and culture for at least a few days and for a change deserve a cruise experience to their liking, too. It's fun learning new things!

I agree with you 100%. I will say, in fairness, that I also want people to agree with me when I've had a bad time. Thing is, out of maybe 10 people who've sailed a particular ship and hated it, in my experience only 1 or 2 will admit that they hadn't done their homework and had unrealistic expectations. A good example is the fantastic and in-depth review by Jim Zim, aka Spaniel Lover. His detail and photos are amazing, and I also like his writing style a lot. But I found myself really feeling sorry for him, because he clearly went on the Seaside with an expectation of 100% American-style, meat-n-potatoes, English everywhere, American bathrooms, etc. 43 cruises and he hadn't figured out that MSC is still Italian. He hated the buffet but found the breakfast in the MDR much better, well then eat there instead of complaining about the buffet! SO MUCH of what goes into a successful vacation is having realistic expectations. I'm a huge fan of TV travel host Rick Steves because he embraces the "live like a local" mantra when traveling to Europe. That's my philosophy, too. I look forward to speaking French, Italian, German, Spanish, etc. with European travelers on a cruise ship. That's why MSC seems like a great fit to me.

You say it so well, and you are so right. We can't wait for our MSC sail this coming June. If I wanted an American experience I would just stay right where I am now...boring! I look forward to interacting with other cultures to the extent that that is possible on a cruise. Jim Zims reviews are great but it gets wearisome hearing how MSC should deliver ersatz pizza, American-style, instead or real Italian pizza, just because he likes it with ten times the sauce and cheese. The nerve of MSC to act like an Italian cruise line. Why not just stay at home and eat at Pizza Hut? If all cruise restaurants were American-style, it would not please everyone. Those looking for a departure from American cuisine and culture for at least a few days and for a change deserve a cruise experience to their liking, too. It's fun learning new things!

Thank you!! Always good to meet a fellow cruiser who enjoys trying new things. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji634] [emoji487]

Those looking for a departure from American cuisine and culture for at least a few days and for a change deserve a cruise experience to their liking, too. It's fun learning new things!

Hate to type it, but it sounds like MSC offers the least departure from American cuisine of any of the major cruise lines. One week in the Windjammer I had Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern Kofta, really good Irish beef stew.

Numerous reports state that there's minimal variety on MSC's (limited) buffet.

That's ok--but I'm not sure how it can be described as going beyond what other large cruise lines are doing.

It’s nice to see you are excited for your upcoming cruise. I’m curious, have you sailed MSc before? I ask because the differences in the MSc product might not be as much about being “European” as they are about being a budget driven cruise line. Being prepared is also fun.

I’m also curious why you feel the need to mention Jim zims review. It seems needlessly mean spirited. I trust you didn’t mean it to come across mean, but all the reviews of Jim’s review (in other words, all the opinions of Jim’s opinion) seem unnecessarily and in bad taste. We even have members now questioning Jim’s ethics which seems entirely uncalled for.

Yet to thin their are world class European cruise produts, for example: Cunard, Europa & Europa II, etc., thus why MSC chooses to be mediocre (non-YC areas) is a mystery to me!

Mediocre to you maybe.

Some of us would rather have a balcony than an inside Yacht club.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cunard are not European, from what I hear they are going more like Carnival food wise, we were not impressed by Queen Victoria but the food at the time of our cruise and service was second to none.

MSC does have other foods on their ships sailing in Europe such as Asian, Indian ,Greek and Hungarian to name but a few, it could be that MSC have decided that the North American palette would not be so accepting of these dishes hence the so called Americanisation of Divina and Seaside.

We used to do two or three (or more) long cruises a year but now that we've discovered Yacht Club we do at most two. But OMG, Yacht Club is wonderful!!!

I'm inclined to agree, Charles.

We've been doing an average of 3 cruises a year over the last few years (18 MSC and 1 Celebrity in 6 years) mainly in Fantastica (B2) balcony cabins, with an odd YC or Aurea inbetween. However, we've made the decision that from now on we'll cruise less, but choose higher category cabins; the minimum we'll book will be Aurea. We're going quality over quantity. Last year we did 2 B2s, 1 Aurea and 1 YC and the only cruise we thoroughly enjoyed was the YC one.