MSC Seaside is (gasp!) European

DCGuy64

From everything I've read and heard, MSC was promoting a more American-centric product but without giving up on their European flair and heritage. I think this is exactly what they deliver. If I want Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean I will sail on those lines. I don't expect or want MSC to be a carbon copy them. What is the point of trying something different if they are all the same? What a yawn that would be. Variety is the spice of life. Instead of fighting it so hard, some people need to embrace it a bit more. Life would be so much easier.

If there is one thing I've found universal about cruise ship passengers after all these years, is that they love to complain. It doesn't matter what line you're own, you will hear the complainers and they will do their best to recruit sympathizers. What is also amusing is that nine times out of ten they will tell you their last cruise on line XYZ was better than the one they are on now. It's quite humorous actually but generally I run away as quickly as possible from these people.

Bravo!

Nicely said! I hope MSC doesn't lose it's heritage. If I wanted an experience like NCL, I would go on NCL. I want the MSC differences....I like the differences. It's the best of both worlds and not having to fly to Europe to experience it!

Me too . I love how MSC is different(not perfect) but different for other lines and I hope they never change .

A topic that has been making the rounds recently on Cruise Critic is whether the MSC Seaside is truly an American ship or a European one. MSC made it clear from the beginning that this ship would mark a departure from the past, in the sense that a ship would be designed and built to sail from a US port instead of being "imported" from Europe to do duty this side of the Atlantic. A number of posters, both those who have already sailed on the Seaside, as well as those who have not, have expressed disappointment that the ship doesn't deliver what MSC promised it would. I have to say, if I had read the marketing and promotional material in a certain way, I'd be disappointed, too. (NB: I haven't been on the ship yet, either, as our sailing isn't for another 8 months) Articles such as this one MSC SEASIDE do give the impression that MSC is treating this vessel as more Americanized from the start. But note I said "more" American, not 100%. The article I referenced says things like "In a sign of MSC's seriousness about pushing into the North American market, Seaside will be christened in Miami — the first time an MSC ship has been christened in North America. It's also the first MSC ship with an English word in its name." It also says this:"Still, while international in flavor, Seaside's on-board offerings will have elements that will be familiar to North Americans such as a Pan-Asian restaurant by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi.

In all, Seaside will have 11 eateries, including such American-friendly venues as a steakhouse. Other features will include an Aqua Park with four water slides, a ropes course called Adventure Trail and two of the longest zip lines at sea (at 394 feet)." The two cruises I took in Europe on fellow Italian cruise line Costa did not have aqua parks and ziplines, nor did they have Miami-looking 'condo-type' cabins such as those aft on the Seaside.

So I don't think it's fair to say MSC "failed" to deliver on their promises. Furthermore, the article also has this to say about MSC keeping to its European roots, even with this ship: "In contrast to the U.S.-based brands sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean, Seaside will offer a more international experience, in keeping with the company's European roots and global customer base, (MSC Cruises executive director Pierfrancesco) Vago suggests. The company last year drew customers from 193 countries, he says."

So I think it's fair to say that MSC is doing exactly what they promised, that is, to offer an essentially European ship with European stylings, that is somewhat tailored to the expectations of its American customers. Keep in mind that a majority of people sailing on this ship are still non-Americans. It would not be fair to say that MSC promised that this ship was only built for Americans, but rather that it would be based in the US, yet offer a cruise experience largely influenced by its European heritage. Another good read on this ship is from this article http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-msc-seaside-review-20180112-story.html. The title of the article is 'MSC Seaside a MORE American approach for cruise line.' (emphasis mine)

I don't know how many cruisers have experienced something abroad that purported to be American and found something lacking. I've had 'authentic' Mexican food in Tokyo and 'American style steak' in London. Were these offerings precisely the same as at home? No, of course not, and I didn't expect them to be. They were an overseas restaurant's attempt to deliver something American. (Yes, I know Mexican food isn't American, per se, but in the US there is a large contingent of people of Mexican heritage) Or to take another example: have you ever cooked something in the microwave and there's a "serving suggestion" on the outside of the box, yet the finished product doesn't look quite the same? Well, that's how it is in marketing. A cruise line can say "we're going for a more American type of experience," but does that really mean it'll be 100% accurate? Probably not, and that's okay. If it even approximates some things Americans are used to, that's OK. Because at the heart of it all, MSC is still a European company that serves a predominantly European clientele, but they are branching out a bit and offering Americans a bit of a taste of home. And I'm looking forward to my cruise with them.

Apologies, the article I referenced in my original post did not copy over correctly when I tried to link it, so here it is:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/02/08/msc-seaside-miami-cruises/97633932/

Bea ... I have had black pudding, how could I not living just miles from where it began, not over keen on it though. It's the White pudding that I had not heard of.

MSC are like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, there is no in-between.

I always find it interesting how people who have never set foot aboard a particular cruise line can be so emotionally attached to the product. It’s not just cruise lines either, I’ve witnessed this irrational loyalty for nearly all aspects of travel.

Instead of criticizing fellow travelers for sharing their experiences, I might suggest looking for the common denominators in reviews.

MSC is (gasp!) a Budget cruise line. Many of the issues brought up are due to cost saving measures. A crystal staircase only goes so far.

Fact- MSC is beer budget and has been since entering the American market. MSc ships are consistently priced significantly less than the nearest competition. To expect similar quality is unrealistic. To get the most from the MSC experience, I suggest that expectations be aligned according to price paid.

Issues like poor quality food (meat in particular), overworked and undertrained staff, and inconsistent communication are common themes over the last decade where MSc has sailed in the Caribbean. Those who enjoy MSC tend to be those who appreciate the products value and accept that there will be shortcomings. Many of seaside issues have nothing to do with the fact that she is new.

I’m not certain how seaside was pricing originally. If it was pricing close to the competition, I can understand how there would be disappointment. I predict that Prices will continue to drop on seaside to be more in line with the product offered and recommend that those with upcoming seaside cruises monitor pricing. For example, today I can sail on seaside over Easter week for $499 pp in a balcony cabin. The next closest price is $789 pp. and many of the higher quality lines are significantly more >$1,200. Huge difference. Certainly we can all agree that there is some truth to the saying, “you get what you pay for”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the compliment! I see you're also from CA, same as Jim Zim. Nice to see some Cali folks like the crunch of Italian pizza. :D

Ahhh...you reminded me to change my profile. We used to be from Northern CA but moved to Northern Idaho last year. We were ready for a change and so glad we did. That might explain the pizza. ;)

When people sail MSC and accept they are not getting Carnival or the other US lines the sooner they will understand it.

And in so many ways it’s a better and more gratifying experience.

I think MSC strong points are the hardware (beautiful ships), pools (lots of pools and usually one covered), entertainment (fantastic shows), cleanliness (ships are spotless), onboard technology (at least on Seaside), and of course the European flair which includes a more International mix of passengers.

I’ll still cruise on Princess, Royal Caribbean, NCL, etc but when I want something a little different at a great value MSC is the perfect choice.

If MSC are the bargain basement of cruise lines then they should really make that clear. Showing off fancy ships and then not delivering on even Carnival standards of service and food is really not the way to make friends with the US. I think they may attract bargain shoppers but will end up with one and done a lot. Most Americans have a very limited amount of vacation time along with limited funds. We don't want to "waste" our precious time and money on a vacation that does not meet personal standards.

I love Europe personally. I've been to several countries and embrace the differences. On a cruise I want to be somewhat pampered. By that I mean I want my dining room team to be personable, friendly with the kids and smile. I don't want to be ignored or have to chase someone down to get a refill of my water. I want any issues I take to GS to be taken seriously. I want someone to make my bed and vacuum the carpet and dust. It's a week where I don't have to be cook and maid. I also want tasty food with lots of choices because I don't know what I might feel like eating at any given time.

And I don't want to be told that I can't wear shorts after 6pm in public areas! That is crazy. They have the most restrictive dress code I have ever seen for the MDR and the ship in general but they want bargain shoppers. I never buy new clothes just to go on vacation. I also only travel with a carry on suitcase and certainly don't have room to pack day wear and special clothes just to eat dinner, watch a show and wander around in the evening.

So I think MSC needs to change their marketing tactics to make sure US cruisers know exactly what they are (or are not) getting. Or they will find that they don't do well here and have to give away their cruises.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

This is just totally my opinion as one who has not yet been on board but will be Saturday so we will see if it changes then. I am certain MSC has done their best to make Americans comfortable on Seaside. Just as we Americans are sometimes wrong when we make generalizations about Europeans MSC has missed the mark here and there. Burgers and chicken strips and pretty much the same things in the family dinner buffet nightly anyone?

And we are not generally used to the style of doing things in Italy either so it is a learning project for everyone. Personally I would be sad to find us all the same and booked this cruise for something different. I think in the end we are indeed as happy as we decide to be mostly especially on a cruise.

Happy cruises to you all.

This is just totally my opinion as one who has not yet been on board but will be Saturday so we will see if it changes then. I am certain MSC has done their best to make Americans comfortable on Seaside. Just as we Americans are sometimes wrong when we make generalizations about Europeans MSC has missed the mark here and there. Burgers and chicken strips and pretty much the same things in the family dinner buffet nightly anyone?

And we are not generally used to the style of doing things in Italy either so it is a learning project for everyone. Personally I would be sad to find us all the same and booked this cruise for something different. I think in the end we are indeed as happy as we decide to be mostly especially on a cruise.

Happy cruises to you all.

Thank you, I enjoy reading your posts and am looking forward to learning about your experience. Your post got me thinking and I wonder: how is it that so many complain that the Seaside isn't American enough yet they simultaneously complain about the buffet having hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken strips, all of which are prominently featured on many American restaurant menus? Is it that there isn't more variety of American foods, because that kinda stuff is definitely American. :confused: Scratching my head over that one.

"I think in the end we are indeed as happy as we decide to be mostly especially on a cruise."

Agreed! Attitude is everything

Hoping you have a great cruise!

So I think MSC needs to change their marketing tactics to make sure US cruisers know exactly what they are (or are not) getting. Or they will find that they don't do well here and have to give away their cruises.

MSC does not need to change anything, if you want to cruise with them then do your homework and learn about them, why do you expect that they should always do it your way ?

If I had a 20 dollar note for everyone who has spouted the same rubbish that MSC will not last or will have to give cruises away, I would be on a free myself by now.

MSC does not need to change anything, if you want to cruise with them then do your homework and learn about them, why do you expect that they should always do it your way ?

If I had a 20 dollar note for everyone who has spouted the same rubbish that MSC will not last or will have to give cruises away, I would be on a free myself by now.

All they needed to do was "leave everything alone" the way it was prior to Seaside. That's all.... They mis_communicated some information and it was understood differently by alot of people...including me. Hey...I've calmed down...and have blown the dust off my Costa cruise experience in preparation for my cruise on Seaside week of 3/24

I said MARKETING tactics. They are marketing themselves as just another cruise line. Well, to American cruisers who show up they are not. Their website sucks and that is being nice. It is hard to figure out what you will be getting other than a really glitzy looking ship.

All of the US based cruise lines offer any time dining. In order to get this on MSC you have to dig deep, pay a lot of money for a special "experience" and then make use of all the other stuff that comes with it. I don't drink and I don't like massages but in order to eat any time I want and with just my family (which is what my family prefers) I would have to pay hundreds of dollars extra. If I am shopping for a cheap vacation and just book that (Bella) I may end up eating in the buffet. Sorry, not getting dressed up to eat in the buffet with cheaper furniture and the buffet line looking me in the face.

Edited by trvlgirlmq

All they needed to do was "leave everything alone" the way it was prior to Seaside. That's all.... They mis_communicated some information and it was understood differently by alot of people...including me. Hey...I've calmed down...and have blown the dust off my Costa cruise experience in preparation for my cruise on Seaside week of 3/24

(y)

I'm looking for a hand-clapping emoji for you. I applaud you for giving Seaside another chance despite your earlier, warranted apprehension. I hope that if time permits, you will treat us to a review upon your return so that those of us going later will know what to look forward to (or avoid!). ;)

"11 eateries" Is BS though. The reality is that if you want to eat dinner you got 2 free choices of MDR or small buffet OR Steak House, Seafood place, Habachi and Asian place for money oh and the Bistro that 7

True, although all cruise like to exaggerate this. It’s marketing. They include things like room service and a coffee shop as dining experiences.

"11 eateries" Is BS though. The reality is that if you want to eat dinner you got 2 free choices of MDR or small buffet OR Steak House, Seafood place, Habachi and Asian place for money oh and the Bistro that 7

My first cruise ever was on NCL in 1992. Back then, there was 1 (count 'em, ONE) dining room and no specialty restaurant. It's important to be thankful we have any variety at all.

Trvlgirlmq ... Understanding MSC is not your strong suit is it?

Why are you even here if you have never nor have any intention of sailing with MSC ?

Bella gives those that can just about afford to cruise the opportunity to do so, Fantastica a step up allows those who cannot afford the mainstream rip off prices to cruise also.

Plenty of people have the choice of either Aurea or Yacht Club.

How many of the other cruise lines can offer this ? How many offer a status match ?

If craving what you have at home is what you need then that is the best place for you.

Their website sucks and that is being nice.

Well yes it does, have you ever been on Royal's website? Surprice, it sucks too! :') And so does NCL and Celebrity...

Most cruise lines seem to use the same useless webdesigners :confused: ;p

Trvlgirlmq ... Understanding MSC is not your strong suit is it? I understand it perfectly.

Why are you even here if you have never nor have any intention of sailing with MSC ? Is this an exclusive thread for cheerleaders only? Did I say I would never sail them?

Bella gives those that can just about afford to cruise the opportunity to do so, Fantastica a step up allows those who cannot afford the mainstream rip off prices to cruise also. The problem is that they do not give the same cruising experience to everyone. I find this to be Titanic-esque. Oh, sorry you can only afford third class so you must stay in the bowels of the ship, eat in inferior circumstances away from the better passengers. Must not rub elbows with your betters.

Plenty of people have the choice of either Aurea or Yacht Club. Bully for them. I don't drink or like the spa so those things are wasted on me. I do not like that fact that those are the only ways I could eat dinner the way my family likes.

How many of the other cruise lines can offer this ? How many offer a status match ? Why would I want the other cruise lines to offer this? I like that if I can only afford an inside cabin one year that I am not looked down on or treated differently than someone in a balcony. Why would I spend my hard earned money to be treated like crap?

If craving what you have at home is what you need then that is the best place for you. Wow, you are so elitist it must hurt.

Stick to your special Yacht Club world so you don't have to rub elbows with the hoi polloi.