march 18 out of FLL.: wild spring break cruise?

luckyinpa

We took several cruises over spring break when DH taught at a community college. His spring break was usually around the third week of March. Princess cruises were not too bad--not too many college-age kids on board. Our five-day Carnival cruise out of Charleston had a ton of kids. I wouldn't do another Carnival cruise during that time of the year.

We once took a 7 day cruise in March without realizing that it was spring break time. We regretted it.

That was 10 -12 years ago. Since then we do something that is more fun in March-----we stay home, do our tax returns, have doctor and dentist exams, and plan future cruises.

Was that on Princess?

We are booked on the 3/18 Regal sailing and I hadn’t thought about college age wanting to book Princess. I know Some other lines can be a nightmare at that time but thought Princess would be fairly safe. I guess we’ll see! I’ll enjoy a cruise no matter what, I’m sure, but that Emerald Cruise others are talking about would not be my ideal vacation.

I am booked on the Coral on 3/21 from FLL for 10 day partial Panama Canal cruise. I did not consider spring break at all when booking. After reading all of the above, I think because of the length of the cruise, there should not be too many rowdy spring breakers.

The drunken college kids don't sail Princess but then to stick to Carnival & to a degree on NCL.

I must disagree. Spring Break 2015 on the Emerald Princess was definitely a drunken party. The pier on Costa Maya was littered with vomit and, with three ships in port, security was busy trying to figure out which passed out students belonged on which ships.

blogger-image-330288663.jpg

But DH has some fond memories. ;)

I must disagree. Spring Break 2015 on the Emerald Princess was definitely a drunken party. The pier on Costa Maya was littered with vomit and, with three ships in port, security was busy trying to figure out which passed out students belonged on which ships.

I've seen that off the ship many times but not so much when on board.

We are booked on a 5 day in late March on the Ruby -- based on capacity restrictions for 3/4 passengers, higher rate and basically sold out status of the cruise (especially compared to the week before and after) -- we are expecting a large contingent of college and family spring breakers. And we have to count ourselves in that group, as we had to pick this week to accommodate our own kids' college spring break. Wishing we could have booked a different time period, but it is an anniversary and summer travel is not an option due to work.

But -- we were able to snag a few suites amongst our group of 16, and we definitely plan on enjoying the space and aft balconies (including opening the separating doors) to avoid the party craziness we expect in some of the public spaces. Our college contingent aren't drinkers, so not expecting any issue there either. I may also see about getting a half day or two in the Sanctuary.

I'll take some college kids any time over a bunch of screaming kid's who can quickly get on anybody's nerves.

The drunken college kids don't sail Princess but then to stick to Carnival & to a degree on NCL.

I've seen it more than once on Princess sailing over spring break, especially in Cancun. They had to bring the girl straight to the clinic off the tender (after Wilma when the docks were damaged) because she was throwing up so much. It's not usually a huge amount of kids however. But then...

As I said, our 5 day sailing in 2016 had a lot of stuff going on. There are videos around on the internet.

Carnival, NCL and Royal all have the college students on the short cruises out of Miami during spring break. I dropped my son off in his senior year of college a few years back here in Miami. You should have seen the shell shocked look on the the few adults that were checking in when they realize that about 9/10 of the cruise ship guests were going to be college kids! They were even standing in line at the port drinking already at 10:30 am!

Not being an American, what dates are you talking about for spring break?

Colleges in the US are usually early to mid March, high schools mid March to early April. Since Easter is April 1 this year, some colleges with religious affiliations have pushed their schedules to incorporate that date.

We have gone on a couple of Mexican Rivera cruises with Princess during Spring break..with our older teen, 20 something sons ......and guess u should have been on ours pretty WILD....

Let's see how many beer bottle holding college kids u can get in a hot tub...??

Edited by land lover

We were on the Ruby Princess in March several years ago. Never again! Carnival cruise ships were sold out, the overflow were sent Princess way to fill empty cabins. We couldn’t get near the pool. It was beer buckets for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL...really a cute shot....That looks like the Jumbo Giraffe on RCI's Anthem of The Seas.......A smaller version....on Princess?...but still the wild young adults.....they all have a great time and why not?........I have seen the Princess dancers and staff on shore in Matzalan and sometimes they are living it up...nothing to destructive...but sometimes needing to be lead back to the ship.

Colleges in the US are usually early to mid March' date=' high schools mid March to early April. Since Easter is April 1 this year, some colleges with religious affiliations have pushed their schedules to incorporate that date.[/quote']

UC's tend to be latter part of March, regardless of Easter timing. Which is why our cruise is so booked -- it's the UC Spring Break week and MR itineraries are easy to do

with little to no airfare involved. (Although not all campuses within the UC system follow the exact same dates)

Land Lover and Sailaway2joy -- yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, but know that we can enjoy our large balcony, suite and Club Class dining regardless of spring break shenanigans. Not a huge pool person, so won't kill me to skip that amenity -- or will enjoy it while in Cabo, since

I don't care about doing any real port jaunts.

UC's tend to be latter part of March, regardless of Easter timing. Which is why our cruise is so booked -- it's the UC Spring Break week and MR itineraries are easy to do

with little to no airfare involved. (Although not all campuses within the UC system follow the exact same dates)

We leave on the 18th as well but on the 14 day Circle Caribbean. It's a true 14 day cruise so it doesn't go back to FLL in the middle. Whereas your cruise is "so booked" ours still has cabins in all types available. The only suite left is the smaller Window Suite but there are also cabins in all other categories still available. I'm blown away. I thought the cruise would sell out easily.

We leave on the 18th as well but on the 14 day Circle Caribbean. It's a true 14 day cruise so it doesn't go back to FLL in the middle. Whereas your cruise is "so booked" ours still has cabins in all types available. The only suite left is the smaller Window Suite but there are also cabins in all other categories still available. I'm blown away. I thought the cruise would sell out easily.

A 5 day itinerary works for more people's schedule (and pocket book) than a 14 day. if we were leaving the 18th, we would be in better shape -- but ours is the last week of March, during the UC spring break week. I can't wait for our youngest to graduate high school so we can do a 14 day :-) I'm really not looking forward to the possible drunken chaos but also not going to let it affect our trip. We've got our work around plan in place, spirits pre-ordered for our cabin and positive attitude in place

Hi Thrak.. Sailing with you on the 18th

I'm sure the cruise did not sell out due to the tremendous increase in price once the "Medallion" label was put on. At one point, a room increased over $2000 from original starting price (which was not featured as a special inaugural medallion cruise). Today, that room is $2400 cheaper.

Glad to be back on a true 14...spring breakers should not be with us..this is my 15th March cruise and I liked it better when Princess had a cap on the number of kids on a cruise. I know that doesn't sound nice coming from a retired principal and loving grandmother. .but it is the parents of some spring break high schoolers who allow the kids to run wild ..the captain last March had to ask the parents of children running the halls at 2am taking breakfast menues off cabin doors to control them. But then again, those were probably the same parents who bought drinks for their kids and argued with security when caught.

What I did learn on last years' 6 day March cruise was ...it takes just about 22, 16yr olds in the hot tub to get the water to overflow to the tables by the glass windows.

Sadly, no 14 circle offered in March 2019.

On our B2B cruise last summer, each cabin received a letter detailing exactly what the parental responsibilities were on the ship and the fact that parents would be held fully responsible for any negative actions of their children. In great detail, it basically said that if your kids act out, we will put you and your children off at the next port and it will be your problem and expense to get home...and the decision of the ship's officers is final.

This was at the very beginning of the cruise, before anyone had a chance to "act out."

I honestly loved it. We had essentially no kid problems...a little horsing around in public spaces, but nothing that went beyond a "come on, guys" reprimand when they were blocking a hall.

I have nothing against kids. I do object to parents who do not realize that parental responsibilities do not end when one steps onto a ship.