Stateroom selection, less options when booking through the line?

I noticed something about the statereroom selection options when I booked my next cruise. Going directly through the RCI website, I had far fewer options than when I eventually booked through a travel site. Also, it appears there is no cost benefit to book direct through the line. As far as TA's, what would be the advantage of using them? Just getting started with cruises, would like to do two a year if I can swing it. Thanks

Edited by Host Clarea

You're going to get numerous opinions on here in regards to using TA's vs not. We booked on our own for a few years and just switched to a TA last year and love it. While I lose the ability to call RC direct with questions regarding my booking (payments, room changes) a quick email/phone call to my TA and they take care of it for me. A good TA should never charge for their services, and often they will give additional benefits above RC like OBC, gratuities, specialty dining, or a bottle of wine. These perks do vary between TAs and also depending on length of sailing, type of cabin, etc.

Do some research and ask any friends that may have used them. We've been happy with our switch and will continue to use a TA going forward, but again, mileage varies from person to person.

I noticed something about the storeroom selection options when I booked my next cruise. Going directly through the RCI website, I had far fewer options than when I eventually booked through a travel site. Also, it appears there is no cost benefit to book direct through the line. As far as TA's, what would be the advantage of using them? Just getting started with cruises, would like to do two a year if I can swing it. Thanks

The right travel agent can provide excellent service, making the entire process very simple and convenient for you. They can also provide perks, such as on board creidt, free gratuities, free specialty restaurant, free spa treatment, etc.

On one hand if the price drops, you need to call the TA. If there are issues with your account your TA will have to fix. As Cody said most TAs give you free stuff. we get a specialty restaurant. The only downside is our TA doesn’t work on Sunday.

Thanks for the fix Bob. Molly, yeah, that was kinda my impression. Which brings up another question. If I decide to book my next cruise onboard, are the selections similarly restricted?? Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it seemed like the third party cabins available were much better locations.

Thanks for the fix Bob. Molly, yeah, that was kinda my impression. Which brings up another question. If I decide to book my next cruise onboard, are the selections similarly restricted?? Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it seemed like the third party cabins available were much better locations.

The Next Cruise rep will be able to see all available storerooms (oops staterooms:halo:)

You can book a cruise on board through Nextcruise and select a cabin. You can ask at that time to transfer your cruise over to your travel agent if you use one. If you decide to change the cabin, or the cruise, you still get the OBC only if you book a refundable deposit cruise.

You can book a cruise on board through Nextcruise and select a cabin. You can ask at that time to transfer your cruise over to your travel agent if you use one. If you decide to change the cabin, or the cruise, you still get the OBC only if you book a refundable deposit cruise.

You have sixty days to transfer. It also cannot be transferred after final payment.

on one hand if the price drops, you need to call the ta. If there are issues with your account your ta will have to fix. As cody said most tas give you free stuff. We get a specialty restaurant. The only downside is our ta doesn’t work on sunday. ��

100% this!

Would anyone be willing to share what “perk” they specifically received from a TA? I’m feeling kind of bummed that we booked directly through Royal now.

Lunch in a specialty restaurant, bottle of red wine in the room and an xtra on-board credit of like $50 I think

Would anyone be willing to share what “perk” they specifically received from a TA? I’m feeling kind of bummed that we booked directly through Royal now.

We receive around a 5% OBC from the TA.

Ive played around on the RCI website a good bit and it seemed that they don't show you the full availability but they are "available". I was on one browser and had two cabins "on hold" on my account and out of curiosity i logged in on another browser and shopped the same sailing, same deck and same area and they showed different rooms available.

I have no clue if this is fact or not and it could have been an anomaly so not sure but I found it interesting.