Formal night in the Bella buffet?

tallnthensome

I’m sorry but I don’t have proper photos of the area, only of ourselves and some of the food. I’m not familiar with the staff parade, but I didn’t notice anything other than the staff welcoming you to the dining room by the entrance. That was nice though.

I felt the service was very good and personal: our server Rory always asked how our day had been and we had small chats. He didn’t feel busy and suggested some food items for us each day. Drinks and food always came quickly and efficiently and we never had to wait for either for a long time.

Obviously I can’t compare how the service was as compared to other MDRs.

We ate there at 6pm each night other than St. Thomas night as we boarded the ship at around 6pm. The tables were always dressed, but they added some decoration (golden layer of table cloth) on Elegant nights, and perhaps some decoration on the table too (can’t remember for sure).

As others have said, we felt the Market Place was really intimate for the dinner as it was sectioned into smaller dining rooms. We had less than 10 tables in our room, some of which were empty at times as people apparently ate in the buffet those nights.

Hope this helps.

I'd just like to say, you've made the experience sound very attractive, indeed!

Basically the same thing but without the parade?

There was still an Italian menu and Italian colour theme... just no parade when I was on Seaside last week

I think I asked my question in an unclear way based on Sidari's reply.

Sidari; are you saying that what is shown in the video they do not do anywhere on the Seaside (main dining rooms) so if you are in Marketplace you aren't missing it, because they aren't doing it? Or they do it in the main dining rooms, but not Marketplace?

Sidari; are you saying that what is shown in the video they do not do anywhere on the Seaside (main dining rooms) so if you are in Marketplace you aren't missing it, because they aren't doing it? Or they do it in the main dining rooms, but not Marketplace?

Basically the parade/song shown in the video (which was on Divina) was not on Seaside (in the MDR or Marketplace). They still have Italian night for all of the people eating regardless of if you are in the MDR or Marketplace.

I think you are worrying WAY too much about this and listening to TOO many negative people who haven't even set foot on Seaside yet.

Unless you like big sprawling dining rooms you are going to enjoy your meal in the Marketplace based on how I saw it setup last week.

Like I said earlier. It is a nicer more intimate setting (think of a small restaurant versus eating at a wedding reception). And unless the IDEA of being in the buffet bothers you to your core, you will have a great time.

Edited by h0twired

No parades during mealtimes on Seaside. We missed them on the Seaside vs Divina. Italian night was a special menu, served on white night. Special themed nights were more defined on the Divina with guests dressing up. I brought my "italian" dress (red and green), but daily said white, but menu was Italian and I never got to wear my dress. Seaside is a great ship, Relax and enjoy

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I’m sorry but I don’t have proper photos of the area, only of ourselves and some of the food. I’m not familiar with the staff parade, but I didn’t notice anything other than the staff welcoming you to the dining room by the entrance. That was nice though.

I felt the service was very good and personal: our server Rory always asked how our day had been and we had small chats. He didn’t feel busy and suggested some food items for us each day. Drinks and food always came quickly and efficiently and we never had to wait for either for a long time.

Obviously I can’t compare how the service was as compared to other MDRs.

We ate there at 6pm each night other than St. Thomas night as we boarded the ship at around 6pm. The tables were always dressed, but they added some decoration (golden layer of table cloth) on Elegant nights, and perhaps some decoration on the table too (can’t remember for sure).

As others have said, we felt the Market Place was really intimate for the dinner as it was sectioned into smaller dining rooms. We had less than 10 tables in our room, some of which were empty at times as people apparently ate in the buffet those nights.

Hope this helps.

An intimate dining venue with a more personal service, Bella passengers are actually getting the YC experience ;)

They have tables for 2? This is only in the Seaside or all the MSC ships? We are bella too, sailing April on the Magnifica. We are planning to eat in the buffet because we are cruising for the ports only.

ISA

This discussion is as a result of the (larger) buffet on Seaside being converted into an MDR for dinner (there are 2 buffets on Seaside, only). This does not happen on other ships, though an area of the buffet may be sectioned off for Bella guests IF the ship is at capacity and the MDRs are full - the overflow will then have table service and the MDR menu in the buffet. It very rarely happens, though.

There are no tables for 2 in the buffet on Magnifica.

What is Italian Night then?

They decorate the tables with red and green and there is a special menu of Italian focused meals. That's it. I was surprised since this is an Italian cruiseline that there wasn't some music or waiter interaction.

However I did find that the food was amazing. Very authentic and the risotto was textbook.

Yes, thank you for your description and details. It does help to paint a picture for me. For an area with 10 tables, and some may be empty, I don't know, doesn't really give me a great feeling. I feel mislead by the MSC rep that sold me the cruise. Maybe I'll feel differently onboard, but my impression currently is that I booked 3rd class on this ship. If the area were somehow superior to the main dining rooms others would be trying to get in. There are staff parades on Italian Night and at least one of the formal nights, IIRC. I guess the fact that 90% of the staff are NOT there precludes these events.

Maybe our sailing won't be that full and we won't have to go there, or maybe we do go there and find the smaller setting lends itself to really great service. I'll have to see. But the current arrangement is definitely not my preference and I'm not going to play dress up for it.

I completely get what you are saying. There is definately a clear distinction of classes on this ship. I have not really felt that on other ships. You really notice it on this one. I too, felt a bait and switch when we booked our sailing.

They decorate the tables with red and green and there is a special menu of Italian focused meals. That's it. I was surprised since this is an Italian cruiseline that there wasn't some music or waiter interaction.

Not anymore - Italian night has been replaced with Mediterranean night, with dishes reflecting cuisine from different Med countries. The table runners and waiters' dickie bows and aprons are now pale green and there is no parade, anymore.

I completely get what you are saying. There is definately a clear distinction of classes on this ship. I have not really felt that on other ships. You really notice it on this one. I too, felt a bait and switch when we booked our sailing.

Looking at photos of Bella buffet at dinner reminds me of the years I was a teenager and worked weekends doing catering parties. We got to eat the same food, but were put in an area of the hall where the guests had already vacated or given our food to eat outside with the valets. No ambiance. Shove it in and get back to working.

I've already communicated to MSC that my booking says confirmed early dining; does not say anything about a buffet and if I am put in the buffet I'll take off my service charge as a punitive measure.

Flame me CC, I can take it.

Looking at photos of Bella buffet at dinner reminds me of the years I was a teenager and worked weekends doing catering parties. We got to eat the same food, but were put in an area of the hall where the guests had already vacated or given our food to eat outside with the valets. No ambiance. Shove it in and get back to working.

I've already communicated to MSC that my booking says confirmed early dining; does not say anything about a buffet and if I am put in the buffet I'll take off my service charge as a punitive measure.

Flame me CC, I can take it.

Ha! That is an excellent analogy. As someone who worked in hospitality for many years, I ate many meals that way.

The Marketplace is a really nice buffet and we ate there for breakfast and lunch. But, it is in no way a substitute for an MDR. I don't care what you do to it, it's still a buffet area.

Not to mention the fact that the night we actually wanted to have dinner in the buffet, we were turned away at the door without an explanation as to why. We were directed up to the Deck 16 buffet, which is not really a buffet but more of secondary eating area. While none of us starved, it certainly wasn't a proper dinner buffet. Thank god for the amazing pizza!

I think what MSC is doing on the Seaside with the dinner seating is not right at all.

By the way, as far as the service charge goes, you are entitled to do whatever you wish and it is no one's business but your own. There is far too much judging and comments on this forum about what people "should" do about gratuities etc.

Ha! That is an excellent analogy. As someone who worked in hospitality for many years, I ate many meals that way.

The Marketplace is a really nice buffet and we ate there for breakfast and lunch. But, it is in no way a substitute for an MDR. I don't care what you do to it, it's still a buffet area.

Not to mention the fact that the night we actually wanted to have dinner in the buffet, we were turned away at the door without an explanation as to why. We were directed up to the Deck 16 buffet, which is not really a buffet but more of secondary eating area. While none of us starved, it certainly wasn't a proper dinner buffet. Thank god for the amazing pizza!

I think what MSC is doing on the Seaside with the dinner seating is not right at all.

By the way, as far as the service charge goes, you are entitled to do whatever you wish and it is no one's business but your own. There is far too much judging and comments on this forum about what people "should" do about gratuities etc.

Unfortunately money is the only language corporations understand. But I won't make up some story that a hard working person gave us bad service. I'll tell them point blank the offering does not match what was advertised and sold to me.

I've had a few great cruises on MSC already. And yes, there was plenty of negative reviews before I went, but I went with an open mind and had a great time and so I expected MSC to deliver on the hype and promises with Seaside. Maybe they will. Maybe reading this forum and the ultra-whiney drama filled Facebook group is a net bad because it really can make you think you've spent money poorly and been duped.

Will I feel third class and snowed by the booking agent? Quite possibly. And no matter how beautiful an atrium on a ship is, if you feel like they took your money without doing their end, it is a terrible feeling. Will I starve? Of course not. No one on a cruise will. It has nothing to do with that and I'm shocked people aren't smart enough to think past illogical thoughts like that.

Divina also used the buffet aa overflow for an mdr for Bella. Thought it was a design issue not having enough seats in the mdrs. Apparently not since Seaside is doing the same thing. I've always enjoyed the ambience of the mdr for dinner especially if breakfast and lunch are in the buffet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Not dressing formally to sit in a section of the buffet. Not what I had bargained for.

What!! You mean you don’t enjoy the beautiful ocean view on one side and to the other side the breathtaking view of the buffet line, plates and clutter? Just kidding couldn’t agree more, this has been one of my main issues on the seaside.

And still msc keeps advertising a 20 hour buffet with large selections but in reality the large buffet is only for lunch and breakfast. The dinner one is a small and repetitive in the small area upstairs

And still msc keeps advertising a 20 hour buffet with large selections but in reality the large buffet is only for lunch and breakfast. The dinner one is a small and repetitive in the small area upstairs
This is true and will catch up with them eventually as the reality of this will spread to cruisers that travel other lines. If I would have known way back in 2016 when I booked that their buffets were small, with little selection, consisting of a poor salad bar, hot dogs, burgers, and nuggets I would have probably passed on the booking. If MSC wants to base the Seaside in the US then I strongly suggest they match their buffets to their competitors or it'll cost them dearly very quickly. Most don't want an elementary school cafeteria' esq buffet on a cruise.

I don't understand this bait and switch comments. Bella cabins are the cheapest. When I looked at the descriptions of Bella cabin it clearly stated that they use the Buffet as overflow.

When I called MSC when I booked my first cruise with them I was going to book Bella and the cruise consultant told me that I would not be guaranteed to eat MDR. So I changed to Fantastica experience.

People have posted photos of the Buffet made up for dinner and it looked the same as the MDR except not as crowded. After seeing the photos I would be happy to book Bella.

As for the Buffet it is not as extensive as other lines. But there is more than hot dogs, lettuce and tomatoes. That I keep seeing reported here. I've seen the photos and videos.

I think people are being excessively dramatic. Especially as from reading this thread hardly any of you have actually been on board yet!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I don't understand this bait and switch comments.

Clearly the ship was designed with MDR not capable of accommodating all guests. Overflow indicates to me something that would be used when the ship is at 108%, 110%, 112% capacity, such as you would find during peak sailings (summer, holidays) when many 3rd and 4th berths are filled. Most, if not all, ships sail routinely at 105%+ capacity week in, week out, and do not turn anyone away from the MDR.

So there is a major difference between needing to use an overflow on rare occasion due to exceptionally crowded weeks, and using an "overflow" daily on every single cruise because the MDR design is inadequate for the size of the ship. Nothing can actually fix that and it is completely disingenuous for MSC to pretend like Bella may actually have MDR dinner on the Seaside.

Also, MSC has advertised 20 hour buffets and I think people feel mislead that that has proven to NOT be the case, and furthermore if they do want casual buffet for dinner the only choice is glaringly subpar to the industry standards at NCL, RCI, Princess.

This is true and will catch up with them eventually as the reality of this will spread to cruisers that travel other lines. If I would have known way back in 2016 when I booked that their buffets were small, with little selection, consisting of a poor salad bar, hot dogs, burgers, and nuggets I would have probably passed on the booking. If MSC wants to base the Seaside in the US then I strongly suggest they match their buffets to their competitors or it'll cost them dearly very quickly. Most don't want an elementary school cafeteria' esq buffet on a cruise.

Just for clarification sake, the only buffet that appears truly subpar is the DINNER buffet on deck 16. For breakfast and lunch, the buffet on deck 8 is open and I'd expect that to be similar to Divina. Plenty of videos of the offerings on Deck 16 for dinner to verify the subpar comments.