Opening dividers between balconies

Linda L

:cool:Hi, we will be sailing on the Koningsdam with another couple in the room next to ours. We will be side by side in Neptune suites. Does anyone know if they will allow us to open the divider between our balconies? We would like to be able to sit out on the balconies and be able to talk to our friends.

We have been on several cruises and it always seems to be "hit or miss" on whether or not they will let you do this.

Thanks for any help with this

Linda

You should be able to open the divider. You might have to ask your steward to do it for you. I don't remember how they latch.

The main part of the divider does not open, just the outer section, which allows you to walk between the balconies. You can't convert your individual balconies to one giant balcony.

I think I've read that some captains will restrict the number that can be opened ... maybe when it's too windy??

I have never heard of limiting how many balcony dividers can be opened at any time. The cabin stewards have always opened the dividers whenever we asked and they checked with the other cabin involved. We once had four cabins in a row open.

rusbut.jpg

The only part that opens is the small door by the railing which the cleaning crew use to go from balcony to balcony to clean them.

If you look carefully at the top of the divider in Peter's picture, you will see a black knob. That is where the cabin steward will "lock" the door open so that it doesn't bang in the wind or when the ship is moving.

I have never heard of limiting how many balcony dividers can be opened at any time.
Found it ... but it wasn't talking just about HAL. (bolding mine)

By law, they have to for fire fighting capability. Whether they are allowed open is HAL's policy, and I can't answer that. Most lines have a fixed total number, and a number of adjacent, dividers that can be opened, at the Captain's discretion.

NCL used to allow the Captain's discretion in allowing dividers open, but there were so many complaints about "why we can't have it, when others can" that they changed to the blanket no opening policy.

We were traveling to Alaska on the Noordam last May with family in the cabin next to us. When the steward came by after we boarded to introduce himself, I asked if he could open the partition and he said it would be no problem. It was done by the time we returned to the cabin later that afternoon.

Thanks so much for everyones help with this. We sailed Norwegian in January and they were adamant that they would not open up the divider between the balcony doors.
It is NCL's (unfortunate) strict policy to never open dividers. If you question this on the NCL board, you will be attacked by people who swear it is unsafe to open them (I learned this from experience, unfortunately). I believe the dividers serve as flame retardants, if I recall. However, having sailed with others on Disney, Celebrity, Holland, and NCL, NCL is the only line that refused to open the dividers. If it is a safety issue, it must not be threatening enough to make every cruise line want to adopt the same policy.

For me, I welcome broadening the range of information, as long as it pertains to the issue raised.

Many of us sail on multiple lines. Sharing information about how different lines handle a similar situation is interesting and makes us more knowledgeable travelers.

The question was about dividers on HAL then people commented about what happens on NCL. It's not really relevant to the OP's question.

While I do not know HAL's corporate policy on opening dividers, or what a particular Captain's policy is relative to that corporate policy, or even what cabin stewards will do in contravention of those policies to ingratiate themselves with their passengers, if there is, as posted here, no restrictions on opening balcony dividers, then the ship, or ships, are in serious violation of SOLAS regulations, if they allow the balcony dividers between cabins in adjoining fire zones (separated by the sliding or swinging doors in the passageway) to be opened. This breaches the fire zone boundary, and is a serious concern.

I do know that most lines have some policy as to the total number of dividers that can be opened, the number of contiguous dividers open, and that the fire zone dividers are not opened, I also know that the cabin stewards very frequently do not abide by these policies in order to gain favor with their passengers.

The only reason the dividers were made openable in the first place, was to allow fire teams to access one balcony from the next, something that could not be done on the Star Princess, and which was a direct cause of the fire spreading to the extent that it did.

While I do not know HAL's corporate policy on opening dividers, or what a particular Captain's policy is relative to that corporate policy, or even what cabin stewards will do in contravention of those policies to ingratiate themselves with their passengers, if there is, as posted here, no restrictions on opening balcony dividers, then the ship, or ships, are in serious violation of SOLAS regulations, if they allow the balcony dividers between cabins in adjoining fire zones (separated by the sliding or swinging doors in the passageway) to be opened. This breaches the fire zone boundary, and is a serious concern.
I thought it was a simple as having dividers that don't open at a fire zone boundary, as I've seen on other lines ('nuff said, not to ruffle HAL feathers. :) )

For me, I welcome broadening the range of information, as long as it pertains to the issue raised.

Many of us sail on multiple lines. Sharing information about how different lines handle a similar situation is interesting and makes us more knowledgeable travelers.

Exactly! The question was answered early and then the topic broadened....to which the OP also talked about NCL. There is absolutely nothing wrong about comparing the policy to other lines. Some people are just wound way too tight. :rolleyes:

Thank you to all the people who have said that it is relevant to talk about other cruise lines in context. It's insane to try and keep the discussions ONLY to Holland America.

See also:The snarky comments about other lines' ships during sailaways.If you don't have something nice to say don't say it all.

"If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, click on their name and choose: User List, Add to Ignore List."

Aaaanyways..if I see someone asking about Princess on here(doing a comparison of a certain Princess ship to a Hal ship,imma chime in(tho my experience is limited to one Princess ship I can give my honest opinion.)I love Holland America but don't want to limit myself.

Edited by Sea girl 23

When I was booking my cabins for our Alaska cruise, there were certain cabins where they could not open the balconies. Maybe they are the ones in different fire zones.

Luckily, this was listed so I was able to get two cabins where the balconies could be open.