credit cards to use with no foreign transaction fees

Montanagirlalways

we are planning our transatlantic to spain and wondering if it is best to get a card with no foreign transaction fees or really the best way to manage financial transactions while visiting around spain

Yes credit card with no foreign transaction fees

Also if you are asked anywhere whether you would like the transaction in your own currency decline the offer as the exchange rate isn’t as good as letting your card company convert it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we are planning our transatlantic to spain and wondering if it is best to get a card with no foreign transaction fees or really the best way to manage financial transactions while visiting around spain

We use QuickSilver card from Capital One bank. Besides no foreign transaction fees we get 1.5% Rewards on all purchases, no limit.

The rewards can be claimed via check or credit card payment or specific purchase payment.

I have a currency card - card you can load with foreign currency, and you can swap the balances between different currencies through their online account e.g. to swap between EURO's, GBP, USD etc.

mine is a VISA so still has the same credit card protective effect...

I'm UK based though, not sure if pre paid currency cards are available worldwide? The company I use is called Caxton fx.

If you’re going to buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise on shore, sure. Not worth screwing up your credit history with more credit cards for a few euros at Starbucks. Just carry cash for taxis, food and incidental purchases.

If you’re going to buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise on shore, sure. Not worth screwing up your credit history with more credit cards for a few euros at Starbucks. Just carry cash for taxis, food and incidental purchases.

I like your response- but I am concerned about carrying too much cash. Prefer credit and foreign transaction fees can add up over the years now that I am retired. :)

Hello,

The American Express Platinum card does not have foreign transaction fees. Its a great card for travelers but it does have a rather high annual membership fee. I seem to remember when we lived overseas that Citibank did not have any foreign transaction fees as well. You may want to check them both out.

Getting new credit cards doesn’t ‘screw up your credit history’. Having more credit than you use is actually very beneficial for your credit history because it drives down the percentage of available credit you use.

Personally, we get cash a handful of times from ATMs (my checking account offers some reimbursement for this), but do most of our transactions via credit and a fee free credit card is a good addition to your wallet.

I like your response- but I am concerned about carrying too much cash. Prefer credit and foreign transaction fees can add up over the years now that I am retired. :)

I like Chase Sapphire as a credit card (no foreign transaction fees, 2% rewards on travel and dining, 1% on everything else). For cash at foreign ATM's I have a Schwab checking account that provides a debit card with unlimited ATM fee rebates. Both of these are VISA cards. With the no-fee debit card you can get your cash wherever you want to without having to worry about the fees.

Hello,

The American Express Platinum card does not have foreign transaction fees. Its a great card for travelers but it does have a rather high annual membership fee. I seem to remember when we lived overseas that Citibank did not have any foreign transaction fees as well. You may want to check them both out.

I agree that American Platinum is a great card for frequent travelers. It is expensive but they benefits are worth a lot more than the annual fee (No foreign transaction fees, Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club, $200 in Uber, Global Entry Fee, $200 in airline fees including delta gift cards that can be used for flights, hotel status, car rental status, points, etc).

The JetBlue card through Barclays has no foreign transaction fees and their basic JetBlue Card also has no yearly fee. They also have the JetBlue Plus card that has more benefits like free bags and yearly bonus miles for $99 a year.

As others have said the Chase Sapphire cards have no transaction fees. They have some nice travel insurance benefits, including cancellation, for the amounts charged to the card. These benefits do not have pre-existing exclusions, but if that is not an issue, it’s a nice benefit.

DH has the reserve card and I have the preferred. The fees on the Reserve are steep, but benefits are similar to the Amex Platinum. Fees are $450, with a $300 credit for any travel spend, global entry fees reimbursed, priority pass clubs in airports. Three points for dining and travel spend. He signed up when they had a 100,000 mile sign up bonus.

We have a number of cards...I sign up for a new card when I see a nice sign up bonus. My credit score might take a 5 point hit...but stays in the excellent range. The benefits I get from each more than exceeds the fees. One card will provide 2 hotel nights in NYC before our next cruise. We’re flying on miles to Puerto Vallarta next month, due to combined CC spend and earned flights miles.

I like Chase Sapphire as a credit card (no foreign transaction fees, 2% rewards on travel and dining, 1% on everything else).

If you do a little research into various cards with no foreign transaction fee, you will find the Chase Sapphire is at or near the top of most lists.

Really good rewards program.

If you sign up for the preferred and spend 4,000 in the first 3 months you will earn 50,000 bonus points.

Barclaycard Arrival and Capital One Venture one both offer no foreign transaction fees, no annual fee and travel awards. (The Arrival Plus and Venture are the upgraded cards that carry annual fees. Your choice.) Mastercard and Visa will be accepted in more places in Spain. I also recommend a debit card from Fidelity or Charles Schwab. You can withdraw local currency from any ATM with no fee. Most places in Barcelona will accept credit card, a few smaller places were Euros only. I would be careful carrying too much cash with you, Barcelona is lovely city but notorious for pickpocketing.

If you do a little research into various cards with no foreign transaction fee, you will find the Chase Sapphire is at or near the top of most lists.

Really good rewards program.

If you sign up for the preferred and spend 4,000 in the first 3 months you will earn 50,000 bonus points.

Our 5 night stay pre-cruise in Barcelona ($1500 normally) is being covered this year by filtering all our household bills through the Sapphire card (and the sign on bonus).

To echo what others have said, 2 words, Chase Sapphire. If you can afford the annual fee, the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is the one to get, especially if you have a large purchase coming up, like an upcoming cruise. You get a $300 travel credit yearly which offsets almost all the annual fee. For the first year, sign up for precheck or global entry and you get that credited back. If you sign up for global entry, that;s $100 back. So in your first year, your annual fee is essentially $50 and you get 50K chase ultimate rewards points good for either gift card or miles or $750 in bookable travel through chase portal. The triple points for dining and travel are pure bonus.

https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19/JARIQFWTZO

DW and I both have this card and would NOT choose any other. Did I mention you also get Priority Pass lounge access AND car rental insurance coverage is primary, not secondary like almost all other cards, especially Amex ones.

Another vote for the Chase cards, particularly Sapphire. We even reupped for the Sapphire Reserve ($450).

In any case, ignoring even foreign transaction fees let alone any other perk, the sign up bonus points you get totally make the regular Sapphire worth it. We haven't paid for a flight in years for our family of 4.