Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

Alibaster, first off, very well said....by the same respect, therein lies my issue....One of my earlier posts i said, to me, dress shorts and a nice button down works. That is my personal preference....BUT, it is not Templars Ship, it Carnivals Ship....Their boat, their rules. I bolded your text above because i guess thats the part that is annoying and hard to understand. The mindset seems to be "I know the rules but i dont care, i want to do what i want to do and because i paid my money, i will do it". No, life doesnt work that way. That is a reasoning of an 8 yr old, not an adult

Being on 12 Carnival cruises.... This past cruise I wore Knee length dress shorts (I'm a male) to the MDR on 2 of the casual nights. Never wore shorts in the past other than on embarkation day (when waiting on luggage) . Did not feel out of place . Wore nice polo shirt and casual shoes.... So you can be casual but with good taste and on non elegant nights

Being on 12 Carnival cruises.... This past cruise I wore Knee length dress shorts (I'm a male) to the MDR on 2 of the casual nights. Never wore shorts in the past other than on embarkation day (when waiting on luggage) . Did not feel out of place . Wore nice polo shirt and casual shoes.... So you can be casual but with good taste and on non elegant nights

I've worn that before, especially the first night of the cruise. Heck, we're going to the Steakhouse the first night for our upcoming cruise and I just may wear that, but I have a feeling a pair of dockers would be more appropriate (see what I did there). ;)

What I struggle to understand is why people care what someone at the next table is wearing.

I can understand if they're being obnoxiously loud, or encroaching on your table, but who cares what they're wearing?

I suppose this is one of the biggest problems in our country today - people simply can't get themselves out of someone else's business and mind their own.

What I struggle to understand is why people care what someone at the next table is wearing.

Your struggle is no different that the person who doesn't understand why the individual wearing shorts, flip flops and a ball cap to elegant night was allowed into the MDR in the first place (and you should have seen the way her husband was dressed!), despite the dress code which should have prevented this.

Why does your struggle trump the struggle of those individuals?

DH and I have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on Carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the MDR on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.

I'm way too lazy to read all the responses to this thread, and I'm a Dress Code ****, so I'm with you.

But.. maybe try a different line? No way I would expect any improvement on this from Carnival.

$35 surcharge for a dinner from 1992.

I've heard from Holland America cruisers that their formal nights are formal, and while the surcharge for cruising on their ships may be a little more than $35, it's not that much more.

Your struggle is no different that the person who doesn't understand why the individual wearing shorts, flip flops and a ball cap to elegant night was allowed into the MDR in the first place (and you should have seen the way her husband was dressed!), despite the dress code which should have prevented this.

Why does your struggle trump the struggle of those individuals?

The person wearing flip flops or a ball cap has no bearing on my dinner, it makes no difference to me. As long as they're not being obnoxiously loud or encroaching on my table's space, they could be wearing a bathing suit with both legs in one opening for all I care.

This!!! You're on a cruise. I really struggle to understand why people get so bothered about what others wear. It really has no impact on our enjoyment of a meal if someone is wearing shorts or flip flops in the MDR. Enjoy the cruise and the moment you're in!

This! We find it tacky, to say the least why some people dress the way they do and why some some ships, over others enforce the DC. Others do not. Mainly how the Captain wants the ship run, I suppose. It's like Walmart people watching!

We have been on some cruises where they turn people away for what they were wearing and rightfully should have been (like the guy in holey stained shorts, flip flops, ball cap and a T-shirt w/ a naked biker chick on the front on lobster night) and some where they don't say a word.

Either way, we comment to ourselves, have a laugh about how ridiculously stupid they look, etc ... but it in no way diminishes our dining experience. We like the fun of dressing up a little bit.

I think we all can agree that 90% of the people who show up at the MDR are dressed appropriately, whether its Casual or Elegant evenings (90% to generous? 80%?....point is, vast majority....better?) So, to all those people who are saying how can it ruin your dinner, i will give you an example....I see a guy who is showered (how can i tell he is showered, i will get to that in a minute), dressed in a pair of gym shorts, sneakers and a T shirt, is that going to ruin my "dining experience", not at all....What you will get, and i have seen it at least once on every cruise i have been on, especially if you have Early dining....You will get the guy who rolls off his lounger at 5:55 pm and thinks "Oh heck, dinner"!!!! Now, the common sense part of the brain should kick in and say "dude, its to late, just grab something for dinner at the buffet", but he isnt wired that way....Oh no, what he does is put a pair of gym shorts over his wet bathing suit, T shirt goes over the sweaty, suntan lotion covered body and what does this Einstein do, he hustles down to the MDR (if you think i am exaggerating, absolutely not, i have seen it happen over and over again). Now, if the staff stops him and says "Sir, you cant wear gym shorts", he can point to the nice showered guy i referenced earlier and say "Well he has gym shorts on"....So Carnival, in an effort to make people use common sense has to say "No Gym Shorts" in the MDR. It all goes back to basic common sense....Take a shower before dinner, put on deodorant, comb your hair. Put on decent clothes that is in conjunction with the evenings theme. Do we really have to break this down and look for loopholes here? I guess we do because you have a portion of the population that just dont get it. It has to be spelled out. Even when its spelled out, you get the portion of the population that want to "beat the system"....You are adults people, act like one instead of an 8 yr old

So had did this ruin your dinner?

I agree with you, I crave more formal days, but I am afraid our society as a whole is going the other direction. I was at the Melting Pot in the evening a few weeks ago and also saw shorts and t-shirts. I would love to see a more formal venue on the ships that I would gladly pay for. Forget paying for a good steak, I want to pay extra for the old cruise experience. $35 surcharge for a dinner from 1992.

Is Melting Pot considered fancy now? I'd show up in shorts and t-shirt, too.

I'd be surprised if elegant nights even last much longer, it's a thing of the past. I'll wear long pants on elegant night and a polo, but that's about as elegant as I'll go. I think I wore a bright, tacky, hawaiian shirt on my last cruise for formal night. Why not? :)

Is Melting Pot considered fancy now? I'd show up in shorts and t-shirt, too.

I'd be surprised if elegant nights even last much longer, it's a thing of the past. I'll wear long pants on elegant night and a polo, but that's about as elegant as I'll go. I think I wore a bright, tacky, hawaiian shirt on my last cruise for formal night. Why not? :)

Trust me boiled steak is not fancy.

I can understand if they're being obnoxiously loud, or encroaching on your table, but who cares what they're wearing?

I suppose this is one of the biggest problems in our country today - people simply can't get themselves out of someone else's business and mind their own.

I would counter with a bigger problem is the self entitled mindset that the rules dont apply to them ;)

I would counter with a bigger problem is the self entitled mindset that the rules dont apply to them ;)

A rule stops being a rule when it's no longer enforced. Scores of posts here and on JH's Facebook prove that the rule is not being enforced.

It comes down to minding your business in my opinion. If I paid their cruise ticket, then I'll tell them what to wear. Since I didn't, I'll mind my own business. Their decision to wear shorts to dinner has nothing to do with me. So should everyone else in my opinion.

There really wouldn’t be such controversy regarding the DC, if Carnival would simply consistently enforce the code. I agree with the OP...enforce it or get rid of it entirely. As a new cruiser, I’m excited for all the bells & whistles which includes dressing up. It’s disappointing to consider that others actually choose to dress inappropriately for the elegant nights.

The world is getting more casual... this is not limited to cruising.

For example, I am a technical professional who often visits customers. I do not even own a suit. I have a sport coat although I am not sure it still fits. :D

I believe sales people and bankers still wear suits. Even at weddings and funerals about half the men are in slacks and dress shirts, but no tie.

I used to enjoy dressing up for formal nights on a cruise, but it is more stuff to schlep around from home to the ship and back. If you can get by without it, that's great!

There really shouldn’t be such controversy regarding the DC, if Carnival would simply consistently enforce the code. I agree with the OP...enforce it or get rid of it entirely. As a new cruiser, I’m excited for all the bells & whistles which includes dressing up. It’s disappointing to consider that others actually choose to dress inappropriately for the elegant nights.

People are WAY over exaggerating this. On elegant night, 90% of the people dress pretty darn elegant. The other 10% are closer to business casual (polo/slacks)...

The vibe is certainly elegant. And I thought the vibe throughout the ship even after dinner remained very elegant.

Carnival doesn't need to enforce/not enforce or change policy since it's a non-issue. Turning away the 10% who don't dress up is going to anger a lot more people than the 6 cruisers who complain here about a fake issue.

People are WAY over exaggerating this. On elegant night, 90% of the people dress pretty darn elegant. The other 10% are closer to business casual (polo/slacks)...

The vibe is certainly elegant. And I thought the vibe throughout the ship even after dinner remained very elegant.

Carnival doesn't need to enforce/not enforce or change policy since it's a non-issue. Turning away the 10% who don't dress up is going to anger a lot more people than the 6 cruisers who complain here about a fake issue.

Sure seems to be an ongoing issue both here and on another site judging by the many posts I’ve read. I guess we’ll see in July.

Sure seems to be an ongoing issue both here and on another site judging by the many posts I’ve read. I guess we’ll see in July.

No doubt. It's definitely an issue HERE. It's just absolutely not an issue on the ship other than 3 people, probably all at the same table, who get offended by almost nothing. "OMG Harry, that man isn't wearing a tie!!! I remember the good ol' days of cruising when you couldn't even board the ship without showing a head to toe picture of your acceptable formal wear to the check in agent"

No doubt. It's definitely an issue HERE. It's just absolutely not an issue on the ship other than 3 people, probably all at the same table, who get offended by almost nothing. "OMG Harry, that man isn't wearing a tie!!! I remember the good ol' days of cruising when you couldn't even board the ship without showing a head to toe picture of your acceptable formal wear to the check in agent"

I appreciate your response. However I think its important not to discount the experiences of others. As I said before, I’ve read too many posts & reviews along the same theme. It is difficult to put an actual percentage on the issue because Carnival hasn’t provided any empirical data. Any particular number (i.e. 10%) is simply a guess. So my husband and I need to see for ourselves in July and draw our own opinion. It’s not something that will, on its own deter, us from Carnival. But we will be disappointed.

Edited by BookDragon

I'm beginning to think that I'm in the minority when it comes to NOT worrying about what others are wearing at dinner time. Hardly a week goes by without someone commenting on how others are dressed, and how that "ruined" their dining. Maybe the time is long over due to do away with Elegant Night and go with either "Business Casual" or "Cruise Casual". And, instead of coming on here and whining about how certain other passengers are dressed at dinner time, why not voice your complaint directly to the Maitre D?

I agree...how people dress is of no bother to me. It doesn't change my experience whatsoever. My food still tastes the same, my drinks taste the same and my family is the same.

People drive themselves nuts trying to worry about what others wear to dinner. I could care less what the rules are, its not affecting me.

I appreciate your response. However I think its important not to discount the experiences of others. As I said before, I’ve read too many posts & reviews along the same theme. It is difficult to put an actual percentage on the issue because Carnival hasn’t provided any empirical data. Any particular number (i.e. 10%) is simply a guess. So my husband and I need to see for ourselves in July and draw our own opinion. It’s not something that will, on its own deter, us from Carnival. But we will be disappointed.

Book, if I can add, I dont think this issue is limited to only Carnival. I have seen the same ignorant/self entitled/contrarian mindset on Royal, NCL, Holland, etc as well

I'm beginning to think that I'm in the minority when it comes to NOT worrying about what others are wearing at dinner time. Hardly a week goes by without someone commenting on how others are dressed, and how that "ruined" their dining. Maybe the time is long over due to do away with Elegant Night and go with either "Business Casual" or "Cruise Casual". And, instead of coming on here and whining about how certain other passengers are dressed at dinner time, why not voice your complaint directly to the Maitre D?

I think you are right! I'm going to convince my wife to let me wear my Sunday go to fishing clothes. ;)

redneck-dubstep.jpg

Here is the way I look at it...while I am months out from my cruise, bored at work and on this forum I over think things...I focus on the little things...for example I am trying to get a movie schedule for our cruise next month...however, of 8+ cruises I have never gone to watch a movie while actually on the cruise....so while bored at work I have time to overthink things or focus on the little things while ACTUALLY ON THE CRUISE I don't usually have a time much to think about other peoples attire in the MDR..

Last year on our cruise I do recall seeing a guy in a wife beater and shorts on formal night (RCL so no Walmart of the Sea's on this guy) and I did comment to my hubby..."look at that winner, his wife must be so proud" but other then that 2 seconds comment I couldn't care less and I definitely didn't let him upset or ruin any aspect of my meal/cruise...so while things might seem significant here on this board, while you are drinking and having a blast on the cruise, possibly will be the furthest thing from your mind....