Throwing "things" overboard?

Guys,

DW and I are going on 2nd cruise in Dec. on BOTS. I know the rules against throwing streamers and such from the ship. Was wondering about possibly dropping a small amount of Mom's ashes from the stern at sea. Dad was a navy vet and his ashes scattered at sea from a navy ship. Thought a scattering of hers might be nice.

Guys,

DW and I are going on 2nd cruise in Dec. on BOTS. I know the rules against throwing streamers and such from the ship. Was wondering about possibly dropping a small amount of Mom's ashes from the stern at sea. Dad was a navy vet and his ashes scattered at sea from a navy ship. Thought a scattering of hers might be nice.

There are procedures in place if you're interested in scattering ashes of a loved one at sea. I've seen several reports from people who have done this and it sounds like the ship goes out of its way to make it a meaningful experience.

I don't know the details of who needs to be contacted, but I'm sure someone (maybe Bob) will be able to provide more information.

Condolences on your loss.

I saw this being done in a TV programme covering another cruise line. They may have similar arrangements at RCI.

I came to the conclusion that you can't just drop things overboard, npt even ashes. That would get you into a lot of trouble. Plus there are rules over where you can scatter your ashes (distance from shore I believe).

My thoughts would be to contact Royal Caribbean, make the request and see what they say.

Hi,

My dad passed away in 2009 and requested to be buried at sea since he loved cruises, so in 2010, we scattered his ashes off of the Caribbean Princess. They actually were able to put together a small ceremony for us - they gave us a certain time, roped off an area on the back of the ship for our family and even provided us with a bottle of my dad's favorite wine (which they let us pour overboard as well). They made sure to get a printout of the exact latitude and longitude as well so we always know the spot. It was such a special ceremony and right after, a giant rainbow appeared in the sky - and it was a perfect sunny day with not a cloud in the sky!

I'm not sure what RCCL's policy is - we had to get special clearance from Princess for bringing remains aboard - and they had to be in a biodegradable urn - we couldn't just scatter ashes, they had to be contained.

If it's just a tiny amount, you might be able to do it discreetly. I was able to honor another family's member's request that way in a place where it wasn't allowed.

Hope this helps!

I had this summary from when we did it:

Call the emergency team to verify current procedure 1-800-256-6649

Email ship at least three weeks prior to sailing = emergencyteam@rccl.com with request to distribute ashes at sea (a/k/a Burial at Sea), provide booking number, sail date, ship, your name, stateroom number, deceased name

Cremation / Purchase biodegradable urn (see TSA Requirements below if flying)

Once on board go to 'Guest Relations' (formerly know as Purser's Desk) to arrange a date and time. (check ship's deck plan online to find location of guest relations desk)

I saw this being done in a TV programme covering another cruise line. They may have similar arrangements at RCI.

I came to the conclusion that you can't just drop things overboard, npt even ashes. That would get you into a lot of trouble. Plus there are rules over where you can scatter your ashes (distance from shore I believe).

My thoughts would be to contact Royal Caribbean, make the request and see what they say.

You can't be serious!

You can't be serious!

He’s very serious. There are regulations regarding burial at sea and failure to abide by them can incur fines or worse. Never ever try and ‘discreetly ‘ scatter ashes without first getting approval from the line.

Especially loose ashes which inevitably blow back onto you and your surroundings

Sent from my iPad using Forums

He’s very serious. There are regulations regarding burial at sea and failure to abide by them can incur fines or worse. Never ever try and ‘discreetly ‘ scatter ashes without first getting approval from the line.

Especially loose ashes which inevitably blow back onto you and your surroundings

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Navy vet mysel:*, So I've participated in numerous burial at sea details. Yes, ashes do get blown back on you.;p;p

Navy vet mysel:*, So I've participated in numerous burial at sea details. Yes, ashes do get blown back on you.;p;p

I'm sure we have stories about these events.....wow. Like the casket didn't sink once. They took the family to the wardroom for a nice lunch, assuring them it was going down peacefully....meanwhile, a guy we called "Shell shock" made sure the casket sank!

I just buried my parents at sea with RCCL this past January.I cannot say enough about how respectful they were of the process. And since there were no fees involved, there s no excuse for going through proper channels. Only reminder is make sure you have the proper documentation (cremation certificate) for the remains, along with a biodegradable urn. The info that Bob gave is the current way to initiate the process. And also be aware that burial times are at the discretion of the Captain because of weather conditions.

We did this on Carnival. Afterwards we received a certificate with the date, time and location coordinates. Some counties require info of where the ashes are.

We used something like this https://www.inthelighturns.com/biodegradable-water-burial-rose-petals-peaceful-pillowr-urn.html?utm_source=google_shopping

If you’re flying to port, make sure you know the rules for transporting cremains.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure we have stories about these events.....wow. Like the casket didn't sink once. They took the family to the wardroom for a nice lunch, assuring them it was going down peacefully....meanwhile, a guy we called "Shell shock" made sure the casket sank!

Only did casketed remains once. Had numerous holes cut into the casket and a huge steel plate banded to the bottom to ensure it sank. But cremains???? Blew back onto us every.single.time....