Holland America Bringing O’s Reading Room Fleetwide

RandyinDEN

Mm. 5 Star Mariners are better than everyone else?are we REALLY going there?

What is that a bout?

And to answer a previous question: Yes, I don't know 100% whether the person that called Orlando out was a Cruise Critic poster. But given how disliked he is here..it wouldn't surprise me.

I m very sorry but though you do not make lots of typos as I do, I do not understand what you mean in many of your posts. I try to not think you always mean to snap at us..

She has yet to present any solid evidence that Orlando Ashford has been treated poorly. I am assuming it is because it doesn't exist. Sending letters to heads of companies to let them know that they may have erred in design/marketing, etc. does not constitute mistreatment. It is common sense. With her repeated defense of Oprah and Orlando, it is easy to see what she is implying ... but at least the rest of us know better.

Yes. ITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a 5 Star Mariner, let it be known that I do not expect special treatment before, during, or after, a cruise on a Hollland America Line ship.

I am extremely appreciative of the recognition of crew members with whom I have engaged on past cruises. Somehow, in the majority of incidences, the crew member(s) remember me before I remember them! That leads to a much more personal cruise experience, at least for me, than most 5 Star Mariner benefits offer.

As a 5 Star Mariner, let it be known that I do not expect special treatment before, during, or after, a cruise on a Hollland America Line ship.

I am extremely appreciative of the recognition of crew members with whom I have engaged on past cruises. Somehow, in the majority of incidences, the crew member(s) remember me before I remember them! That leads to a much more personal cruise experience, at least for me, than most 5 Star Mariner benefits offer.

Well said! (y)(y)(y)

And to answer a previous question: Yes, I don't know 100% whether the person that called Orlando out was a Cruise Critic poster. But given how disliked he is here..it wouldn't surprise me.

Fake news!!!! Caught ya!

Crazy?To some,perhaps.But I'm a forward thinker. The HAL boards exist in a time warp(to some degree),where changes to ships should never be made,etc.

Time to get real,folks. I doubt HAL ships are going to get any bigger,but (to quote/paraphrase the serenity prayer)accept the things you cannot change(even with a write in campaign)

OK, you're a forward thinker. What changes do you think HAL should implement to move "forward"?

Unfortunately, you cannot grasp that people can dislike ideas and presentations and decide to write to the person in charge to bring it to their attention. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking that person.

Anyone with a minimum of work experience understands that there is nothing personal about complaining to management. If this were the case, CEOs across this country would be curled up in fetal position on a regular basis.

The response to the "O" announcement on HAL's Facebook page is overwhelmingly negative.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

The comments are appalling. Most people can’t spell and the same person posts over and over again how it’s the new president’s fault because he’s African American. I’m sure HAL would be fine if none of those people ever set foot on one of their ships again.

The comments are appalling. Most people can’t spell and the same person posts over and over again how it’s the new president’s fault because he’s African American. I’m sure HAL would be fine if none of those people ever set foot on one of their ships again.

Good idea to read the HAL Facebook comments on your own to see if they even come close to what this poster is offensively claiming was written there. Not even close. The comments were not appalling, but they were strongly worded against this highly polarizing personality marketing stunt.

Mainly no one can understand why HAL did this. It is one thing to have the ship's "godmother" who christened the ship displayed on board; but this hack, broad-side marketing based upon a polarizing TV personality is all wrong. No, it is not just a book group. It is a wholesale marketing make-over that gets in your face now at every turn.

To me it is like being asked to wear a designer label on clothes that while making me pay them for the privilege of marketing their product. I don't come on a cruise to be confronted with some personality's marketing hype. It is creepy. And we did just cancel our next long HAL cruise.

Mainly no one can understand why HAL did this. It is one thing to have the ship's "godmother" who christened the ship displayed on board; but this hack, broad-side marketing based upon a polarizing TV personality is all wrong. No, it is not just a book group. It is a wholesale marketing make-over that gets in your face now at every turn.

Ya think Oprah might be paying HAL for this? Most of the vendors on cruise lines are paying a fee for that privilege.

Good idea to read the HAL Facebook comments on your own to see if they even come close to what this poster is offensively claiming was written there. Not even close. The comments were not appalling, but they were strongly worded against this highly polarizing personality marketing stunt.

To me it is like being asked to wear a designer label on clothes that while making me pay them for the privilege of marketing their product. I don't come on a cruise to be confronted with some personality's marketing hype. It is creepy. And we did just cancel our next long HAL cruise.

Glad you cancelled you obviously have issues with how HAL is being run. I find some of the comments on Facebook appalling especially the one women who over and over again keeps pointing out that HALs president is African American. The whole thread over there sounds like it was written by trailer park residents.

I stay away from HAL's Facebook page and nothing in this thiread gives me an inclination to go look at it. I hope I have misunderstood the implications written here.

If this is an example of HAL's Facebook p age, I will continue to avoid it and ask WHY does HAL not have it 'cleaned up'?

Ya think Oprah might be paying HAL for this? Most of the vendors on cruise lines are paying a fee for that privilege.

Yes, I know that vendors pay to be on ships, but why would Oprah do that? What's in it for her? How much value can she be getting from this? The occasional free cruise for her and her best buds to do "O" cruises? I mean, she's already famous. Love her, hate her, or somewhere in between, I think everyone who sets foot on a HAL ship has already heard of her.

I can see what HAL expects to get from this. Publicity, interest from people who haven't sailed before but might because Oprah has this connection with HAL.

I don't love Oprah. I don't hate her. My only objection to this connection is the whole cult of celebrity thing. Because she's famous, she can tell us what to wear, what to eat, what to read, how to exercise. And because I have a mind of my own, I can just ignore it.

And how's this for perspective--it could be worse, HAL could have struck a deal with a Kardashian. :eek: :eek::eek:

Agree! Everyone needs to read the comments for themselves! I did not see what the OP was claiming!

Agree! Everyone needs to read the comments for themselves! I did not see what the OP was claiming!

EVERYONE NEEDS to?

No, I have no need to read it and will not be doing so. But I do get your point and know it is valid.

Just read the Facebook comments. The comments mirror what was said here, Oprah is polarizing and very political. Many, many of us do not like her.

My initial thought was that the Oprah branding would be short lived. Now I’m sure of it.

If it’s a book recommended by Oprah, I can be 90% sure I’m not interested in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you would dislike something, sight unseen, just because someone you dislike might have recommended it? A thousand pardons, but isn't it better to make up your own mind than engage in knee-jerk reactions?

You would no doubt not be interested in such universally recognized classics on her list as:

Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)

East of Eden (Steinbeck)

The Good Earth (Buck)

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (McCullers)

The Sound and the Fury & As I Lay Dying (Faulkner)

Great Expectations & A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)

Or these acclaimed contemporary classics:

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia *******)

The Poisonwood Bible (Kingsolver)

Daughter of Fortune (Allende)

Not to mention that I suspect many readers may have already read (and hopefully liked) books by authors on her list including Maeve Binchy, Ken Follett, Anita Shreve, Elizabeth Berg, Joyce Carol Oates, and more....

Glad you cancelled you obviously have issues with how HAL is being run. I find some of the comments on Facebook appalling especially the one women who over and over again keeps pointing out that HALs president is African American. The whole thread over there sounds like it was written by trailer park residents.

Not even close! Did you forget that anyone can check for themselves?