Is the free at sea really a good deal???

crazyboutdisney

In my experience Celebrity does not offer the UBP as a perk for ALL of its cruises which can make a difference when looking at cruises.
Yup, I often see great prices for awesome one-way itineraries on celebrity, but repositioning cruises aren't eligible for their free drink packages and their other cruises are way more expensive than NCL.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

It depends on the person. I don't go on vacations to drink, so, it's of little value for me. I cruise for the itinerary and fill my days with sightseeing. :) I want the lowest x fare, late booking, price dump bargain, which is way cheaper than perk fares.

All kinds of choices, and something for everyone.

It was really nice to just have that drink! And to try new ones!!

This is something my DW and I take advantage of... trying new drinks. It is nice to try something different yet not have to worry about wasting the money if we don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely worth it for us. It's one of the reasons (not the only reason) Norwegian is our favorite line to sail. The cost of the beverage package is usually prohibitively expensive for us, so Norwegian is the only line we always get to enjoy unlimited drinks. I'm not a heavy drinker but I like to try new drinks and not have to worry about a big bill at the end of the cruise. As for the specialty dining - we have found the specialty restaurants outstanding and well worth it as well.

Whether or not it’s a good deal really comes down to the base price and your priorities. I had the drink package on NCL on my last cruise for the first time and would have a hard time cruising without it. Not because I’m a huge drinker but it just made the vacation stress free.

So if I’m looking at a 7 day carnival cruise for $599 or a 7 day norwegian cruise for $799 with the free at sea, if you want apples to apples it’s really going to be $989 for carnival w cheers or $902 on norwegian w the free at sea. Given that I think norwegian provides a better product, that’s a no brainer. Yes, I could forgo the drink package and save money, but I like having it if it’s at a reasonable upcharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your apples to apples comparison between Carnival and NCL gets really sticky if you pay for your Carnival cruise using 10% gift cards obtained through AARP or Allstate, which would then make it 899 vs 902. And since Cheers has no 15.00 limit you get to consume better quality liquors. It also includes unlimited non alcoholic options that NCL does not include such as bottled water, espresso based coffees, energy drinks, milkshakes, etc. I had an absolute blast on my 3 Escape sailings, but when it comes to drinks package comparisons, if the numbers are close like you compared, Cheers blows away what NCL offers, especially since NCL currently has nothing to compare to the Alchemy Bar.

So we got back a few weeks ago from our first cruise with NCL, on the Getway and LOVED it!!! We normally cruise with carnival and nothing against them but NCL seemed to be a step above. Still like Carnival though :)

Anyway, we had booked through a travel agent with a private group so we never saw the breakdown of the cruise cost. We are now looking at going next year and we noticed when you add the "free" items such as the UBP they add a $250 service fee:confused::confused::confused:. So this has us thinking is this really a good deal?? Being new to NCL I thought I would ask opinions. Thank you!!!!

look at it this way: you are going to be paying gratuities no matter which way, so for those of us that enjoy a little more liquid refreshments other than a glass of wine at dinner, it is great deal; for those who are very light drinkers maybe. not. You have to figure that out for yourself. If nothing else it is very convenient to have everything paid up front.

I was on the Gem in Feb and had the UBP which we liked, it didn’t really use as much as we thought. I priced out a cabin next Feb with and without UBP and wi5putnwas $1200 Canadian cheaper for the week. Honestly, even with the ridiculous drink prices onboard, I doubt we drink $1200 worth in 6 nights.

Your apples to apples comparison between Carnival and NCL gets really sticky if you pay for your Carnival cruise using 10% gift cards obtained through AARP or Allstate, which would then make it 899 vs 902. And since Cheers has no 15.00 limit you get to consume better quality liquors. It also includes unlimited non alcoholic options that NCL does not include such as bottled water, espresso based coffees, energy drinks, milkshakes, etc. I had an absolute blast on my 3 Escape sailings, but when it comes to drinks package comparisons, if the numbers are close like you compared, Cheers blows away what NCL offers, especially since NCL currently has nothing to compare to the Alchemy Bar.

Carnival has a limit for sure..15 drinks a day...period....not sure what other limits they have, but I know that is in place. It also appears they may have a $10 per drink limit..I have no idea how they handle it if it goes over, or what would go over. I see no place on Carnival site to get this drink package for gratuities only. Am I missing it?

Since Carnival "blows NCL away"..I guess there's nothing else to say.

Carnival has a limit for sure..15 drinks a day...period....not sure what other limits they have, but I know that is in place. It also appears they may have a $10 per drink limit..I have no idea how they handle it if it goes over, or what would go over. I see no place on Carnival site to get this drink package for gratuities only. Am I missing it?

Carnival's per drink maximum is $50 not $10.

I did not find this to be true. You only get 15 drinks a day then they cut you off and you have to pay for the full price.

I think Carnival has the worse package Royals is better MSC is better Celebrity is better and NCL.

Unless you get it for coffee and energy drinks???

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day or a large one in the morning so that's like what $3 and I do not drink energy drinks or milk shakes.

I also was not that impressed with Alchemy the bartenders at NCL always make the drinks I want with out question.

I do not think I will ever go on Carnival again and I was almost platinum unless its almost free. There dinning stinks, sitting with strangers every meal blah also the huge bill you get at the end of the cruise I don't think my bill was ever under $1500 for me and the wife and kid.

Carnival's per drink maximum is $50 not $10.

What about the rest of my comments?...I saw the $10 limit on a CC article..it must have been wrong/old.....

Or are you looking for the Carnival board?

The only limit Carnival has is 15 drinks per day and if people are drinking more than that then they are serious beer only drinkers or they have a serious problem. The 10.00 per drink limit on Carnival was many years ago, it is now 50.00 versus the 15.00 limit on NCL. Some of the drink prices on NCL are overly inflated such as a Dark n Stormy, which is close to double what they charge on Carnival for the same drink.

You need to sit down and compare the entire package of what you're getting and also the bottom line as to what you're paying for everything and then make an educated decision as to what your choice is. There are many cruisers that are loyal to NCL or Carnival that have blinders on and don't know the specifics as to what is available and the particulars of each program. I have 18 cruises with Carnival, but only 2 with them since the Cheers program came out years ago, but I have 3 on the Escape and loved all 3 of those sailings, even with the limited alcohol choices because of the 15.00 limit.

I will be enjoying the Alchemy Bar on my upcoming summer cruise on the Horizon and then will enjoy my included drinks package paying 20% gratuity on the Bliss next February.

The only limit Carnival has is 15 drinks per day and if people are drinking more than that then they are serious beer only drinkers or they have a serious problem. The 10.00 per drink limit on Carnival was many years ago, it is now 50.00 versus the 15.00 limit on NCL. Some of the drink prices on NCL are overly inflated such as a Dark n Stormy, which is close to double what they charge on Carnival for the same drink.

You need to sit down and compare the entire package of what you're getting and also the bottom line as to what you're paying for everything and then make an educated decision as to what your choice is. There are many cruisers that are loyal to NCL or Carnival that have blinders on and don't know the specifics as to what is available and the particulars of each program. I have 18 cruises with Carnival, but only 2 with them since the Cheers program came out years ago, but I have 3 on the Escape and loved all 3 of those sailings, even with the limited alcohol choices because of the 15.00 limit.

I will be enjoying the Alchemy Bar on my upcoming summer cruise on the Horizon and then will enjoy my included drinks package paying 20% gratuity on the Bliss next February.

I too have sailed other lines, and enjoyed them That said, I have done the math, and the drink package on NCL comes out on top almost every time. And if you and your Bride like a Bailey's or two with your coffee, it can be fairly easy to get to 15 drinks in a day. In fact, I would have hated to seen my actual drink bill from my cruise last year on The Getaway. Not a big bottled wine drinker, so that probably helps. Only a few of the BOURBON's I like are over the 15 limit...but paying the difference is a nominal fee.

Enjoy the Bliss...Happy Cruising!

I did not find this to be true. You only get 15 drinks a day then they cut you off and you have to pay for the full price.

I think Carnival has the worse package Royals is better MSC is better Celebrity is better and NCL.

Unless you get it for coffee and energy drinks???

I drink 2 cups of coffee a day or a large one in the morning so that's like what $3 and I do not drink energy drinks or milk shakes.

I also was not that impressed with Alchemy the bartenders at NCL always make the drinks I want with out question.

I do not think I will ever go on Carnival again and I was almost platinum unless its almost free. There dinning stinks, sitting with strangers every meal blah also the huge bill you get at the end of the cruise I don't think my bill was ever under $1500 for me and the wife and kid.

You're a Carnival hater....no problem. Regarding the 15 drinks....let's see you drink 15 long island iced teas in a day or how about 15 Foster's Oil can beers @ 25 oz each? You also do not have to sit with strangers for every meal on Carnival, they have anytime dining and you can specifically request a table for two, just like you can on NCL. Since your cruise history is not on your signature, I don't know if you have actually had the drink packages on Carnival, NCL, Royal, Celebrity and MSC, but I have and the least inclusive of them is NCL's. Just because you don't drink all of the non alcoholic inclusions that the other lines provide doesn't mean that other people don't. There have been multiple threads on the NCL board with many people bemoaning the fact that bottled water and coffee based drinks are not included on NCL like they are on all of the aforementioned competitors.

Finally, my condolences about your football team....GO EAGLES.

I too have sailed other lines, and enjoyed them That said, I have done the math, and the drink package on NCL comes out on top almost every time.
If you're specifically talking numbers, then the packages on NCL and MSC would probably be the closest dollar wise, but the inclusions with what you get with NCL versus all of the other lines puts NCL at the bottom because of their non inclusion of so many different non alcoholic options and their inflated prices making many drinks over the 15.00 limit and thus not included in the package.

You're a Carnival hater....no problem. Regarding the 15 drinks....let's see you drink 15 long island iced teas in a day or how about 15 Foster's Oil can beers @ 25 oz each? You also do not have to sit with strangers for every meal on Carnival, they have anytime dining and you can specifically request a table for two, just like you can on NCL. Since your cruise history is not on your signature, I don't know if you have actually had the drink packages on Carnival, NCL, Royal, Celebrity and MSC, but I have and the least inclusive of them is NCL's. Just because you don't drink all of the non alcoholic inclusions that the other lines provide doesn't mean that other people don't. There have been multiple threads on the NCL board with many people bemoaning the fact that bottled water and coffee based drinks are not included on NCL like they are on all of the aforementioned competitors.

Finally, my condolences about your football team....GO EAGLES.

LOL. I knew something was off with you....the Eagles...

Not sure why you think this the right place to cheer for Carnival.

Re Coffee and water, never had an issue finding either for free on NCL. Ice water and coffee at most any bar.

Yes, it is a higher fare, but when you don't book Sail Away price, you get to pick your room location. Other cruise lines charge higher for "picking your room location" vs just booking a guarantee. So you not only get the drink package for a $124 charge, you also can pick your location. That has to be worth something! Just look at it like the service charge is allowing you to pick your location and get a drink package and (if balcony or higher) get three nights specialty dining, no brainer for sure!