Can we get our money back?

pgerbphoto

My husband and I have a cruise booked in May. I hate to even ask this, but is there any chance Royal Caribbean will refund our money? We’re haven’t 100% decided we want to go that route, but we’re considering it. We just bought a new home, and we’re not in a contingency. We start making double mortgage payments next month, so the money would give us more time to sell our home. Thanks for understanding.

My husband and I have a cruise booked in May. I hate to even ask this, but is there any chance Royal Caribbean will refund our money? We’re haven’t 100% decided we want to go that route, but we’re considering it. We just bought a new home, and we’re not in a contingency. We start making double mortgage payments next month, so the money would give us more time to sell our home. Thanks for understanding.

Depending on the date and length of the cruise, you may only have lost your deposit. Contact whoever booked your cruise and find out the details of what you would get back if you cancel today. Don't wait because as you get closer to the cruise, you lose more money.

Two years ago we canceled due to DS job loss, which is not a covered event. We had to cancel under the "any reason" clause. We canceled them at 16 days so got 25% back in cash. We had insurance so I applied. They turned us down because it's not a covered event. We then went back to RCCL who gave us a Future Cruise Certificate for 75% of the balance. We, rather DS and family, had to use the FCC within 12 months of cancellation. RCCL explained this procedure all along so it wasn't a surprise. All in all I was out about 20% of the total paid.

As suggested, review your booking and cancel as soon as possible to get the most back. If you have insurance you can file a claim, but I am guessing it won't be a "covered event." If it's enough to make it worthwhile get the FCC and use it toward another booking.

It all depends on if you booked a refundable or non refundable rate. If you booked refundable and are outside of the final payment date you should have no problem cancelling if you booked through RCI. Definitely call whoever you booked with soon and find out.

Not a chance of getting it all back but if you cancel now you should get a large portion of it back (assuming you don’t have cancel for any reason coverage).

I had cancel for any reason, but read the fine print. Their idea of "any reason" is a little different than mine.

If you booked a non refundable fare you are out of luck at getting whatever you paid already.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Non refundable deposits, not non-refundable fares.

I had cancel for any reason, but read the fine print. Their idea of "any reason" is a little different than mine.

I had cancel for any reason insurance and just filed a claim on a cruise we decided not to take. I didn't have to list a reason at all for the cancellation. I attached the cancellation invoice and payment receipts to the claim and was sent a check for 75% of the cost.

My parents paid for three people in full and had to cancel two weeks prior to the cruise because my grandmother who lives with them fell ill and was falling. Mind you we had a total of 5 rooms booked. Royal Caribbean said "sorry your SOL" no future cruise not even a partial percentage off next booking, even though they begged for it, nothing. They lost over 4k just like that.

My parents paid for three people in full and had to cancel two weeks prior to the cruise because my grandmother who lives with them fell ill and was falling. Mind you we had a total of 5 rooms booked. Royal Caribbean said "sorry your SOL" no future cruise not even a partial percentage off next booking, even though they begged for it, nothing. They lost over 4k just like that.

If she lives with them and is a dependent couldn’t they claim that on the insurance?

Had they purchased travel insurance?

If you don't buy it, you are "self-insuring". That means that YOU are responsible if problems occur.

I am looking into this right now. My final payment is March 31st. I can re-price my families cruise at today's sale and save enough to purchase the RC insurance ($404) and end up at the same price. I would have to switch from refundable to non-refundable, but I am less than a month away from final payment anyway.

Do any of you have any recommendation about the RC Insurance? Is there any other 3rd party provider that would give me the money back as opposed to a future cruise credit? Do you think I should reprice and purchase the RC insurance?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Why would they offer anything?

I am looking into this right now. My final payment is March 31st. I can re-price my families cruise at today's sale and save enough to purchase the RC insurance ($404) and end up at the same price. I would have to switch from refundable to non-refundable, but I am less than a month away from final payment anyway.

Do any of you have any recommendation about the RC Insurance? Is there any other 3rd party provider that would give me the money back as opposed to a future cruise credit? Do you think I should reprice and purchase the RC insurance?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

See the other thread here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2605747

Expensive lesson to always purchase insurance.