Cozumel. Ferry travel dangerous?

yesterday royal canceled all shore excursions in mexico that involved taking a ferry on 3/2. It may end up extending to all in the near future. The state department issued a warning not to take ferries in mexico. So if you are going to mexico in the near future you may need to rethink what you will be doing.

I just read a few articles online that are saying they found undetonated explosives on a ferry that runs from Cozumel to Playa De Carmel. Another article said they had an explosion on a ferry (same ferry line) in late February. I didn’t notice this anywhere on the news. Thanks for posting.

I read a couple of the letters that people received in their staterooms on the past couple of days and posted on Royal Caribbean Blog regarding the cancellation of all cruise excursions that require the use of "tourist ferries." Letter states that money for cruise excursions is being refunded as onboard credit which can be used to book another excursion, etc. Does not say that people are being refunded. There are a lot of excursions that require travel to the mainland of Playa Mia, not just Mayan ruins. We did the Rio Secreto excursion last time we were in Cozumel and 4 of the 14 family members that we are traveling with at the end of March were also hoping to do it. When I checked my cruise planner, I notice that cruise excursions to the main land are still available for purchase. I think they will have something worked out by the end of the year, but it is unfortunate timing after the recent tour bus accident which killed 12.

I just read a few articles online that are saying they found undetonated explosives on a ferry that runs from Cozumel to Playa De Carmel. Another article said they had an explosion on a ferry (same ferry line) in late February. I didn’t notice this anywhere on the news. Thanks for posting.

I live in Fargo and I saw this all over the national news. Unfortunate timing since my family of 14 will be in Cozumel later this month.

saw the video on You Tube of the Feb 21 explosion. And now that they have found more explosives planted on ferries, why take the risk. So far, I haven't heard of any terrorist group claiming responsibility but somebody is obviously practicing for something.

saw the video on You Tube of the Feb 21 explosion. And now that they have found more explosives planted on ferries, why take the risk. So far, I haven't heard of any terrorist group claiming responsibility but somebody is obviously practicing for something.

The ferry line in question belongs to a Mexican business man under investigation for corruption charges and most were out of service (for the last 10 months) when explosive devises were found. One line of thinking is that this was aimed at damaging the tourist industry in the area. It will be interesting to see what they find out.

https://www.chron.com/news/us-world/border-mexico/article/Explosives-found-on-Mexican-ferry-to-Cozumel-12722844.php

https://www.chron.com/news/us-world/border-mexico/article/Explosives-found-on-Mexican-ferry-to-Cozumel-12722844.php

I trust the judgement of the cruise line. So, if it is too dangerous to stop at Cozumel then it won't or at least warn the guests getting off the ship. If the ferries are a concern then it will cancel any excursions that require them.

I have visited Cozumel three times and never been on a ferry so it is not a must do. One thing I would be cautious of is doing my own private excursion that takes me a long way from the port. Either pick an excursion organised by RCI or have a gentle stroll through the town which is a short taxi ride away.

Apparently they beefed up security at the pier this week. We didn't get off but other passengers were reporting long lines to get back on. Probably should make sure you have proper ID if going ashore. I can't remember the last time we were asked for more than a Seapass there but that may have changed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Apparently they beefed up security at the pier this week. We didn't get off but other passengers were reporting long lines to get back on. Probably should make sure you have proper ID if going ashore. I can't remember the last time we were asked for more than a Seapass there but that may have changed.

There have always been long lines in Cozumel -for years and years. The scanning of bags takes place THERE, not back on the ship.

There is also a line when arriving because they do a visual bag check for contraband FOOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There have always been long lines in Cozumel -for years and years. The scanning of bags takes place THERE, not back on the ship.

There is also a line when arriving because they do a visual bag check for contraband FOOD.

Recently, I personally have experienced very few long lines except when leaving the ship. The information came from seasoned travelers so I'll go with the beefed up security theory and suggest there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

Recently, I personally have experienced very few long lines except when leaving the ship. The information came from seasoned travelers so I'll go with the beefed up security theory and suggest there's nothing wrong with being prepared.

The number of people in line is of course related to time of day and whether there is another ship at the International Pier.

And "long " is also a subjective measure. Depends on how patient or impatient the reporter is.

But it's an excellent idea to follow the advice of those "seasoned travelers" since I have no experience and don't know what I am talking about.

The ferry line in question belongs to a Mexican business man under investigation for corruption charges and most were out of service (for the last 10 months) when explosive devises were found. One line of thinking is that this was aimed at damaging the tourist industry in the area. It will be interesting to see what they find out.

The conspiracy theories that some are coming up with are ridiculous. I think the above post most likely is the correct motive/reason. We love Cozumel and I would never think of staying on the ship. It would be like saying Las Vegas should be avoided after the massacre there. Bad things can happen anywhere, and do.....including the U.S.

For what it’s worth, the captain broke into staterooms on Allure Friday to share this news and say that all ferry excursions were being cancelled/refunded. We were a little concerned about doing our excursion, the dolphin encounter, but an excursions desk guide was terrific in explaining why it was safe to do. He was correct, we did it, and honestly it might have been the best part of the trip.

Jamaica, on the other hand.. we ended up in Montego Bay, bus broke down; never in danger, but was certainly sketchy, especially when the Margaritaville excursion had no mention of a bus ride or Montego Bay when booking.

I'm not familiar with Cozumel so I'm not sure if we are supposed to take a ferry or not to Chankanaab and Dolphin Discovery. Does anyone know if this is one of the excursions that will be cancelled?

No ferry to Chankanaab or Dolphin DIscovery. The ferries would be if you are traveling to the mainland, usually to see some Mayan ruins.

I'm not familiar with Cozumel so I'm not sure if we are supposed to take a ferry or not to Chankanaab and Dolphin Discovery. Does anyone know if this is one of the excursions that will be cancelled?

If you booked the excursion thru Royal Caribbean they provide transportation to the park. If you booked independently, you just get a taxi to Chankanaab park, about $15.

Nope, you will be good to go. This is the exact excursion we did. Chankanaab is beautiful, the Dolphin Discovery staff is great, and the taxi operation to and from the location to the pier is fantastic.