Should I dare to dream? Upsell question

ohhbother

Hi all.

We are booked on a 10-night European cruise on Sapphire Princess next month. We have two inside staterooms reserved -- one for us and one for my parents. We gave them this cruise (their first trip to Europe) as a Christmas present.

Because I was booking cruise fare and airfare for four adults instead of my normal two, I had to stretch my dollars by booking inside cabins. We got an amazing price -- $999 pp for 10 nights. We also got a terrific deal on airfare. (In comparison, current rate for an inside cabin is showing at $2,098 pp.)

If we sail in the cabins I booked, we'll have a great time and no regrets. But, of course, I'd love to get an upsell offer. I know there's no way to predict if it will happen. But will we be excluded from consideration because we booked at such a low price? For reference, this will be our fifth cruise with Princess and my parents' first.

Thanks for any info. So excited about this trip and making my mom's dream of seeing Paris come true. Can't believe it's happening next month!

There is absolutely no way to predict what will happen. They will move people as needed to fill the ship, but each sailing's needs to fill the ship are different.

I would say the thing that complicates things most is the fact you have two cabins on one reservation. That presents far more complexities.

As above, there is no way to predict what might happen. It is based first on how full the ship is and whether there is anything to upgrade to. I've seen it implied that the more cruises you have, the more likely you are to be offered an upsell or a move over. Most of the time upsell offers come within a few weeks of the cruise. They will attempt to sell out all available cabins, and when past experience shows that they are unlikely to get any new bookings, they will attempt to upsell existing reservations.

If you don't get an upsell offer, use the money for having fun in Europe. Honestly, I'd rather have more memories than a fancier cabin.

Some folks have sailed Princess many, many times and never received an upgrade or the offer of an upsell. My wife and I have only sailed Princess 8 times to date. We have received 2 free upgrades (once to a much better balcony location and once from a Lido inside to a Caribe balcony) and 3 upsell offers. We passed on one and took the other two. Who knows how or why this stuff happens. I've likely had my full complement of offers for the rest of my life but...

There is absolutely no way to predict what will happen. They will move people as needed to fill the ship, but each sailing's needs to fill the ship are different.

I would say the thing that complicates things most is the fact you have two cabins on one reservation. That presents far more complexities.

I agree you never know, but the best upgrade we ever had was with two cabins. We we taking my mom and her sister with us for Mom's 80th birthday. I have no facts but like to think Princess looks at special occasions when doing upgrades/upsells. Anyway, it was a wonderful gift for Mom's "bucket list" trip. Enjoy your time together with your Mom while you can, it goes too fast.

I’m assuming you are on the April 25 sailing? (By the way, love your itinerary!) I just went on the Princess website and the next category up from inside is ocean view, and ocean view cabins show as sold out. There are balcony cabins showing as available so maybe some of those in ocean view will get an upgrade or take an up sell, and you could get lucky with an upgrade if they move up. You never know!

Are you active with the roll call for your cruise ? Usually people post on that if they get an up sell or upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I wish I knew the logic behind the upsale fairy. We've sailed on Princess no less than 2 dozen times and never have we gotten an upsell offer. One time, we did receive a free upgrade from a midship inside cabin to an obstructed oceanview cabin (also midship with very little obstruction), though. I got a phone call at 7 AM the morning before the cruise. Luckily, I was just walking into work or wouldn't have answered the call while driving. I felt as though I won the lottery!

Never have been offered a move over offer either ... maybe one day. I have 3 sailings booked with Princess so fingers are crossed for one of those.

My wife and I had booked on a Trans-Atlantic (Royal Princess) last Oct. We had a fantastic MiniSuite which we had booked well over one year in advance.

Two weeks before the cruise, due to a medical emergency we had to cancel (we were fully insured and got back a full refund). I am sure that some lucky couple was offered an upset, approximately 15 minutes after we canceled.

Lession: There is no way to predict.

My wife and I had booked on a Trans-Atlantic (Royal Princess) last Oct. We had a fantastic MiniSuite which we had booked well over one year in advance.

Two weeks before the cruise, due to a medical emergency we had to cancel (we were fully insured and got back a full refund). I am sure that some lucky couple was offered an upset, approximately 15 minutes after we canceled.

Lession: There is no way to predict.

I think they just put your cabin on the market at the going rate....or offered to someone wait-listed.

To the OP you can dream but odds are against you......;) why?....you have 2 cabins next to each other that are reference together...and I am also assuming u or ur TA put no upgrade.....I have only received upsell offers when my sailing is marked, I will take a comp. upgrade.

BTW...what a wonderful gift to your parents......being their first cruise they will have a wonderful time regardless of Cabin.

Edited by land lover

IME on our most recent 3 cruises over the past 6 months, they are definitely offering the upsells to Elites first. If that doesn't get enough people to move out of the cabins Princess wants, then they move on to other categories (most likely Platinums then newbies and people celebrating a special occasion but that's just a guess).

From what I can tell, what you paid has nothing to do with whether you're offered an upsell. Having 2 cabins together could make their job a little easier because if one of cabins wants to move, most likely the other will as well so maybe it increases your chances? Who knows? Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies and insight. We're very excited to take this trip with my mom and dad. Where we're sleeping won't in any way impact the memories we're going to make. And to the poster who commented on our itinerary, I love it too! I looked at many, many cruises before settling on this one. My mom, who has never been to Europe, will visit six countries in two weeks. How cool is that!

I dreamed. Yes, I took the upsell to a suite from a mini.

I had originally booked a cabin - then the minis came on sale before final payment. By switching cabin categories, saved over $500.

When the email arrived, figured the upsell was a great deal especially when comparing to original cabin cost.

Very happy customer!

The price you paid shouldn't have any bearing on whether you receive an upsell offer. We've had two out of 22 Princess cruises. We took the last one--moving from a balcony to a suite last December. We had booked the balcony at a great rate.